Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 03:30 AM   #16
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Well, it won't restore the Justification dialog, but if you edit the reader.pref file to change Justification=full to =left, and then do a soft restart from the Settings menu, it will set left justification until you either change Words per Line, or do a hard reset.

You can also reduce the margin (in pixels) to get another character or two per line (15-20 works well) by the same technique.

I was thrilled to find this in a Tips thread on kindleboards.com - I find that ragged-right and a smaller margins makes it appreciably easier to speed-read on a Kindle.
Doesn't work on my DXG with 2.5.5 firmware. Drat.
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #17
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
The margin setting is for both right and left edges: the default most "words per line" setting is 40 pixels, or about 1/4", on each side.

If you do the restart procedure from the Home page, you can reduce it as low as you wish - I'm using 15.

Last edited by EldRick; 09-15-2010 at 02:53 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #18
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

I've got feedback that you MUST be on the Home page when you begin the restart procedure from the menus, as the Kindle will reset the file if you are doing it from an open book.

So the soft Restart procedure that works is: Home/Menu/Settings/Menu/Restart.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #19
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
I've got feedback that you MUST be on the Home page when you begin the restart procedure from the menus, as the Kindle will reset the file if you are doing it from an open book.

Aha! That did the trick. Fantastic!
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #20
Gearhead
Enthusiast
Gearhead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PRS505
Thanks EldRick, it is good news that the left justification toggle can be so easily injected. I wonder if this still works on the Kindle 3?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #21
EldRick
Evangelist

This procedure does not enable the toggle from the Aa (Alcoholics anonymous?) button, just turns justification on or off.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #22
Gearhead
Enthusiast

Quote:
This procedure does not enable the toggle from the Aa (Alcoholics anonymous?) button, just turns justification on or off.
Understood. Thanks, that is good enough for me. I missed that you have the K3 in your profile. I now feel comfortable purchasing one. Now that the K3 has been jailbroken, I'll be able to determine if the menu item is still active.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #23
Gearhead
Enthusiast

Quote:

I just tried this on my new Kindle 3 and it works! Thanks. One thing I had trouble with though. You must be on the home page before you connect your Kindle and edit the prefs file. If you connect the USB while in a book, when you disconnect, the prefs file can be overwritten.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #24
Gearhead
Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, it won't restore the Justification dialog, but if you edit the reader.pref file to change Justification=full to =left, and then do a soft restart from the Settings menu, it will set left justification until you either change Words per Line, or do a hard reset.
There is another setting that controls the justification dialog. I've started a new thread that uses the restart method you detailed. Restore the text justification menu toggle without a hack