Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #31
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I read Katherine Mansfield's "The Garden Party" for the first time when I was 17. It has stuck with me all these years. Second to that, I'd have to pick a Lee Smith story, "Georgia Rose." It is a nice homage to George Eliot's The Lifted Veil, but is resplendent with Smith's Southern lilt.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yep, Mansfield is good I need to read more of her, but I truly enjoyed The Daughters of the Late Colonel which I've read a few times. I love this line from it (just read it at wiki):
"The last time the sisters saw their father, Nurse Andrews was stationed by the bedside; the Colonel opened only one eye, glaring at his daughters before dying."

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/wom...daughters.html

The Garden Party is there too: http://digital.library.upenn.edu/wom...den.html#party

Last edited by kennyc; 10-23-2013 at 11:27 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #33
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Where the full text of a short story is online, either as txt or html, what is a good/easy way to get that on my Kindle?

Thanks,
eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #34
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I want to do that save it locally and import and convert it using Calibre or read it in a different program (on my Fire).

Import into Calibre as txt - send to Kindle....
Old 10-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #35
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Haruki Murakami has a new short story in The New Yorker.

http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/fea...urrentPage=all
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #36
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Haruki Murakami has a new short story in The New Yorker.

Samsa in Love -- excellent!

Just read it!
Old 10-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #37
Joshua Grasso
Enthusiast
Joshua Grasso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua Grasso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua Grasso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua Grasso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua Grasso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua Grasso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua Grasso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua Grasso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua Grasso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua Grasso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua Grasso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Great short stories--R.K. Narayan

If you enjoy Mansfield's stories as well as Chekhov's, I would recommend my favorite short story writer, and one of my favorite writers in general, the Indian novelist (South Asian, that is), R.K. Narayan. He has a wonderful collection of stories in the Penguin Classics series entitled "Malgudi Days," which complies stories from throughout his career. They are all pithy, insightful, and often comic depictions of the fictional small town of Malgudi in Southern India. They often deal with tricksters, con men, artists, musicians, the downtrodden, and in general, the struggle between East and West in the middle of the 20th century.

His most famous story, perhaps, is "Lawley Road," about an old statue of a British functionary named Frederic Lawley that stands in the town square. No one remembers what he did or why they built a statue to him. After independence, they decided to remove all trace of Britain and pull it down, and the main character, known as the "Talkative Man," hauls it off to his house to sell it. Then they realize that Lawley was a local hero, who helped the lot of the common man and died trying to save people from a flood. So they want the statue back...but the Talkative Man refuses--it's HIS statue. And so comedy ensues. He has a great style and is profoundly 'human' writer, in that he rarely takes sides and watches with detached compassion and amusement. I highly recommend this volume.
Joshua Grasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #38
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
The best stories I've read in the past couple of years have been the Ted Chiang and Kij Johnson collections, and the Twelve Planets books. Diving Belles wasn't bad, too.
I just finished Ted Chiang's collection the other day, The Stories of Your Life, and it was incredible. Easily some of the best sciencie fiction I've read it awhile.

Chiang's latest short story is available here: http://subterraneanpress.com/magazin..._by_ted_chiang
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #39
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
I just finished Ted Chiang's collection the other day, The Stories of Your Life, and it was incredible. Easily some of the best sciencie fiction I've read it awhile.

Chiang's latest short story is available here: http://subterraneanpress.com/magazin..._by_ted_chiang
Yep!

And thank you for that link! Looking forward to reading it!

Last edited by kennyc; 10-29-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #40
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
I havent read any short stories and i'm really thanking to see this thread. I get a lot of ideas what short story to start with
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #41
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
"Help Fund My Robot Army" by Keffy Kehrli. An epistolary tale in LightSpeed Magazine, formatted as a Kickstarter campaign.

Delightfully entertaining.

Last edited by Nancy Fulda; 10-29-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #42
kennyc

Miss Lora by Junot Diaz. I don't know about 'best' but I did just read it (as I walked at lunch - in the new Best Am. Short Stories) and it did make an impression on me. I seem to have a love/hate relationship with Diaz's work. One interesting aspect of this one is that it is written in second person.

In the New Yorker here:

and an interview/Q&A about the story here: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...unot-diaz.html

Last edited by kennyc; 10-30-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #43
straygator
Connoisseur
straygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
Téa Obreht's "The Laugh." I read it several years ago, but it really stuck with me for some reason:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...-laugh/307531/
straygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #44
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I feel like a lot of people in this thread are ignoring the word "just" in the topic title. :P
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #45
kennyc

Well, yeah, truth, but I did just read "Abridge too Far" by Carl Frederick in the latest Analog....funny quirky story about future e-readers, AI and abridging books/stories.

BTW I just recently discovered Zinio downloads/checkouts from my local Library and am loving reading the stories (and articles) in magazines again ... on my Xoom tablet using the zinio reader. (see the separate thread on this if interested)

Last edited by kennyc; 11-07-2013 at 08:35 AM.