Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
Falchetta
Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Ipad with Kobo and Kindle apps
Question buying ebooks from Europe and geographic restrictions

Hope I'm posting in the right section, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience buying from European ebook stores as a Canadian.

The title in question is not available on the Kobo or Kindle, but I have found it in a couple of Italian sites. One, Mondadori, seems to be linked to Kobo (so it tells me that it's not available for me).

I did come across this store, http://www.cubolibri.it/home.php/, which downloads epubs (my preferred format). It does not appear to give me any geographic restrictions, but then again, I haven't gone through the hassle of setting up an account yet.

Might be a long shot, but thought I'd check on this board to see if anyone (Canadian) has actually successfully bought from them. Just didn't want to set up an account if there is no point. (Their FAQs do not mention anything about geographic restrictions, but then again, maybe they just assume that all customers are Italian?)

thanks for any help.
Falchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If the book is available at Kobo Italy, then just go into your Kobo account settings and change your country from Canada to Italy and you should be able to buy the book.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Falchetta
Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Ipad with Kobo and Kindle apps
I suppose, I guess I've always been afraid of "messing" with the account and somehow loosing my current stuff or getting locked out.
Doesn't the system also check the IP and know that I'm from Canada? Is it easy to just toggle back and forth from Kobo Canada/Kobo Italia?

maybe I'm paranoid, I just don't want to screw my settings up
Falchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I encounter this problem all the time! The way I would go about it (what I found to be the easiest solution), is check if the book is available in the it kindle store, then copy and paste the exact title in the US/CA Kindle store. If you are lucky, they will have it - no messing with the account settings necessary.

With Calibre, you can convert it to any format with a single click.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falchetta View Post
I suppose, I guess I've always been afraid of "messing" with the account and somehow loosing my current stuff or getting locked out.
Doesn't the system also check the IP and know that I'm from Canada? Is it easy to just toggle back and forth from Kobo Canada/Kobo Italia?
I haven't tried Italy, but have had no problems switching my account from New Zealand to US or UK. It doesn't seem to matter to Kobo that I still have a New Zealand IP address.

Another way to do it is to create a new account using a secondary email address and gift the book to your Canadian account.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:50 AM   #6
Janet56
Enthusiast
Janet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Libra, Forma (8 and 32 gb), Sage, Kindle Oasis
I was wondering about this myself - I really want to get the Phoebe Atwood Taylor books but so far they are not available to Canadians, just in the US at both Amazon and Kobo. So if I just change my country, it should work? Or would I have to put in a street/city address too?
Janet56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206278
See the above thread.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote