Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
PaulSmi
PaulSmi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Using Multiple Devices with Calibre - Problem

I've just encountered a frustrating problem and hope there's ab easy solution.

Each day I have various schedules set up to get newspapers, magazines, etc. Calibre works like a dream going off and getting these for me without a moments fuss.

Each morning I plug in my Kindle and all of this new content is copied automatically over to the device as if by magic.

Alas, last night I left my Blackberry plugged in, and guess what, Calibre sent it all to the Blackberry instead of the Kindle, as I'd not got the Kindle plugged in at the time.

When I looked at the Calibre list and saw nothing new I just assumed it had run into an error grabbing the content. It wasn't until the evening that it clicked and I looked on my Blackberry, and lo-and-behold, all the content that should have been on the Kindle was sat there on the Blackberry.

So, question is ...

How can I make it so that the content downloaded does not end up on the wrong device (Blackberry, external hard drive, etc) by mistake, but goes to the Kindle as intended?
PaulSmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm afraid you can't. calibre just assumes the first device you plug in is the one it should send newly downloaded news to.

In the future calibre will indicate what files are on the device, so it should be easy to check if your news has been sent or not.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
PaulSmi
PaulSmi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I can see this not being a problem for most people, but as devices converge (which they are doing), Calibre would need to know when to copy stuff over, otherwise things will get into a big mess.

At the moment I am plugging in a Kindle, a Blackberry, a portable hard drive, and numerous other devices. I don't really want to be having to remember to check with Calibre to see if it just might possibly send something over to the wrong device, before I insert anything.

I only use Calibre with the Kindle and so it should ignore every other device. I would have thought it would be possible to specify that in the preferences somewhere, or at the time I scheduling. Just a thought.
PaulSmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can certainly have it ignore other devices. Just go to preferences->plugins->device interface plugins and disable the drivers for non kindle devices.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote