Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-01-2018, 11:52 PM   #166
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
I'm confused by this one. Suppose my opposite is some thing someone else strongly identifies with? We surely aren't such a homogenous group.
The idea would be for the nominator to find something "opposite" it doesn't need to be opposite from everyone. That should give us multiple perspectives on things. And while one aspect might be opposite the nominator, a different aspect might be opposite for each person.

Like I said, I'm not sold on the idea either but I think there could be something along these lines that would work.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:40 AM   #167
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Here's another idea, Opposites Attract, books from an opposite viewpoint or something along those lines. Basically books that don't reflect who you are because the author or main character is in significantly different circumstances than you or believes something significantly different than you do.
I nominate Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House by Micheal Wolff.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2018, 06:15 AM   #168
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I nominate Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House by Micheal Wolff.
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #169
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
If people feel we should have more contemporary books, then a possible theme could be something like a book published after I was born.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #170
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
If people feel we should have more contemporary books, then a possible theme could be something like a book published after I was born.
Actually, I think it should be books written in the 60s or later that do not take place before the 60s. We can have books recently published that take place way back when and that defeats the purpose.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-10-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Advert
Old 02-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #171
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually, I think it should be books that take place in the 60s or later but not in the future. We can have books recently published that take place way back when and that defeats the purpose.
It doesn't defeat the purpose for me. I would like to read more contemporary authors. I am not troubled by what time period the books are about.

However your proposal could be another theme idea.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #172
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It doesn't defeat the purpose for me. I would like to read more contemporary authors. I am not troubled by what time period the books are about.

However your proposal could be another theme idea.
From what's wanted is more contemporary books and for me, that means written in a more contemporary time period.

I've changed the theme because I found a better way to state it. books written in the 60s or later that do not take place before the 60s
Old 02-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #173
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
From what's wanted is more contemporary books and for me, that means written in a more contemporary time period.

I've changed the theme because I found a better way to state it. books written in the 60s or later that do not take place before the 60s
Jon, I do not want you to change my idea. I have proposed what I want for a theme, and you have proposed what you want for a theme. We can have different theme proposals. It doesn't necessarily make them better or worse. Embrace the diversity of preferences.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #174
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Jon, I do not want you to change my idea. I have proposed what I want for a theme, and you have proposed what you want for a theme. We can have different theme proposals. It doesn't necessarily make them better or worse. Embrace the diversity of preferences.
Very true. I created the one I did because of the amount of books we've been reading that either take place way way back when or were written way way back when. It's time for a more modern book and it looks like we have a chance at that for the next book.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #175
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
We could call it The Time of my Life perhaps? Mind you, some of us are pretty ancient!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:14 PM   #176
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another idea for a theme, something fresh.

Books could be new books, could be nature books, could be food books, could be a book about a kid with a "smart" mouth, etc.

Can't be Something Fresh by P.G. Wodehouse though since it was a MRBC selection not too long ago.

Started out as a different phrasing of "the time of my life" to limit the idea to books that are more recent than (some of) us could have gotten away with from that one but I liked the oblique interpretations that came with it.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:30 PM   #177
Dazrin
Wizard

Several pages back a couple people mentioned "war" and "revenge" as possible themes. To tie them together maybe a "The Four Horsemen" or similar theme. Books about War, Pestilence (or Conquest), Famine, and/or Death.

For people who read Discworld, we could include the 5th horseman as well. Although he pretty much shows up anyway.
Spoiler:
Or maybe the four minor horsemen of the common cold. Sniffles, Chesty, Nostril, and Lack of Tissues.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #178
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And then there's Thickhead, who isn't very bright! He probably forgot his horse and has to follow on foot.

That sounds like a grim and grand theme for our collection. I'll vote for it!
Old 02-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #179
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Several pages back a couple people mentioned "war" and "revenge" as possible themes. To tie them together maybe a "The Four Horsemen" or similar theme. Books about War, Pestilence (or Conquest), Famine, and/or Death.

For people who read Discworld, we could include the 5th horseman as well. Although he pretty much shows up anyway.
Spoiler:
Or maybe the four minor horsemen of the common cold. Sniffles, Chesty, Nostril, and Lack of Tissues.
I wouldn't want to see war and revenge tied together--both of them are quite broad categories to begin with. War could encompass every conflict in history, every story of soldiers and spies and families at home, both fictional and historical. Plus there are science fiction and alternative history accounts. And that's without engaging in any "lateral thinking," which, I suppose, could bring in stories of gang wars, drug wars, even divorce wars, etc.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #180
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Just scrolled back and found "Something Fresh". I like that one too and it could be about new writing, a new author's first book, a fresh look at an old theme (I don't mean one of our themes), or even a book set on a fruit farm!