Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #16
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Which is also my biggest concern with the HP Touchpad. It doesn't have a Chinese interface (which would be a lot better for my wife, who is a local Taiwanese), not even a regular Chinese entry method. I have researched this and found some ways around this (I also need Chinese myself for e-mails, instant messaging, and for website lookups) but it involves copy and paste and is not that smooth.

Now I am hoping that HP will fix this for a release in Asia later this year. Knowing my wife, a technophobe who is not very forgiving of such slightly inefficient "workarounds" I might have to get her some Android tablet later. Guess in the meantime I will be stuck using it. Well, that is just what I had in mind.What a sneaky devil I am....
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #17
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
For some years now, I'm mainly using English as my OS language. Be it on PCs, tablets, PDAs, eBook readers, ...
My reason: Most 3rd party apps are in English. For a somewhat consistent user experience, I like to have the same language (=touch and feel).
That's no biggy, I admit. But from an "aesthetic" perspective...
Anyway...
On lots of units there only are certain language/country combinations.
On many (not all, though) Honeycomb tablets, German is the only choice for Germany. Same for HP TouchPad.
So I either have to choose US or UK to have English or use German in Germany.
I hate this. On Honeycomb, I can solve this by using the "more locale" app from the Android market. For TouchPad, I haven't found any such tool.
Other tablets simply separate country and language: Germany + English...
That is a pretty odd limitation. I had thought international keyboards/interface settings were the norm by now in all OSes, given the worldwide appeal.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #18
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
That is a pretty odd limitation. I had thought international keyboards/interface settings were the norm by now in all OSes, given the worldwide appeal.
One should think so
It's surprising, how inconsiderate and ignorant lots of manufacturers are.
On some units, I even only could choose US time zones.
Well, those manufacturers won't believe it, but the sun shines outside of the US as well ;-)
(I understand the background of this time zone issue of course. Those units obviously only had been intended for the US market. But even though: Isn't it realistic to assume, someone might travel to a different time zone?).

Last edited by mgmueller; 08-16-2011 at 06:20 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #19
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One should think so
It's surprising, how inconsiderate and ignorant lots of manufacturers are.
On some units, I even only could choose US time zones.
Well, the sun shines outside of the US as well ;-)
My in-laws are in Japan, and when I visit I usually have to help them buy/setup new Macs/iPhones, etc. (They wait for our visits to upgrade!). It is very convenient to set stuff up in english, then just switch over once I'm done.

I just noticed that HP did release the Touchpad internationally-so it's not like they don't have everything localized. What is odd is, I thought the Palm Pre did have localization features built in.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #20
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
According to one source who’s seen internal HP reports, Best Buy has taken delivery of 270,000 TouchPads and has so far managed to sell only 25,000, or less than 10 percent of the units in its inventory.

A second person who has seen Best Buy’s TouchPad sales figures confirmed the results as “consistent with what I’ve seen,” and went so far as to say that 25,000 sold might be “charitable.” This source suggested that the 25,000-unit sales number may not account for units that consumers return to stores for a refund.

Best Buy, sources tell us, is so unhappy that it has told HP it’s unwilling to pay for all the TouchPads it has taking up expensive space in its stores and warehouses and wants HP to take them back. HP, for its part, is pleading with Best Buy to be patient.
http://allthingsd.com/20110816/ouchp...mod=socialflow

RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:39 PM   #21
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
You know what is most disappointing? One of the criticisms of Palm was that they couldn't really put together decent launches for their products, because of their size and budgets.

The HP purchase was supposed to go a long way towards addressing that issue-HP has tons of experience, a deep network of industry connections, and the wherewithal to execute such things-let Palm continue with their creative focus on WebOS devices, and let HP handle the rest.

What happened? They launched the Touchpad too early and obviously unfinished, and got a LOT of coverage, but luke warm reviews. They then tried a second launch with a much better product but without the huge press push, and no one noticed.

Just really disappointing.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #22
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm hoping to snap one up for next to nothing -- an excellent media consumption device.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #23
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
You know what is most disappointing? One of the criticisms of Palm was that they couldn't really put together decent launches for their products, because of their size and budgets.

The HP purchase was supposed to go a long way towards addressing that issue-HP has tons of experience, a deep network of industry connections, and the wherewithal to execute such things-let Palm continue with their creative focus on WebOS devices, and let HP handle the rest.

What happened? They launched the Touchpad too early and obviously unfinished, and got a LOT of coverage, but luke warm reviews. They then tried a second launch with a much better product but without the huge press push, and no one noticed.

Just really disappointing.
It's a shame. And I fear similar for BlackBerry PlayBook.
Well, it has happened before. A friend of mine, a real HiFi enthusiast, still keeps saying: Video2000 by far has been the best video system. Betamax was okay as well. And VHS, by far the worst, did actually make it...
At least we can be pretty sure, that iOS and Android will "learn" a lot from those 2 benchmark tablets...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #24
kjk

Quote:
It's a shame. And I fear similar for BlackBerry PlayBook.
Well, it has happened before. A friend of mine, a real HiFi enthusiast, still keeps saying: Video2000 by far has been the best video system. Betamax was okay as well. And VHS, by far the worst, did actually make it...
At least we can be pretty sure, that iOS and Android will "learn" a lot from those 2 benchmark tablets...
Maybe someone will buy RIM, and hopefully unlock the potential of QNX-they did show some potentially cool stuff with it-just not sure the current management is going to be able to execute.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #25
RockdaMan
Banned

An editorial:

Quote:
I have attended many meetings with your executives, HP, and every time I have inquired about product development that pushes the envelope of existing products in the market, your answer has always been the same. “Our customers tell us they want…” is always your response, and this never leads to innovation. Your customers cannot possibly know they want something they have never seen before, the very definition of innovation as PC World pointed out. You have to show them what they want once you produce it on your own.

HP you are in the position to do that with webOS, which can produce innovation across your entire product line. But you can’t do that simply by listening to your customers, you must listen to the Palm team now on your campus.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-new...nnovation/3745
Old 08-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #26
KenFisher
Connoisseur
KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox, iPad
Looks like the TouchPad is on the way out.

Link to article on Arstechnica

Ken
KenFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #27
RockdaMan
Banned

This thread title needs to be changed.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #28
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
So that's it then ... seven weeks later, HP kills Touch Pad, WebOS, its smart phone division and puts its PC division up for sale.

Exiting the entire category of tablets and smart phones.

Wow.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #29
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
This thread title needs to be changed.
HP TouchPad WAS here?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #30
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
So that's it then ... seven weeks later, HP kills Touch Pad, WebOS, its smart phone division and puts its PC division up for sale.

Exiting the entire category of tablets and smart phones.

Wow.
Quote:
Kin was on the market for 55 days (May 6 - June 30). TouchPad 49 days (July 1 - August 18). HP wins that Dubious Achievement.
http://twitter.com/#!/edbott/status/104310049379328000

Tags
hp touchpad