Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #1
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Flaky Wi-Fi Hopefully Fixed

I noticed my Wi-Fi service was getting flaky so had the ISP out to check things out. Turned out that the coax cable was literally disintegrating from the distribution pole to my house and I had the first version high speed router the company had installed for high speed internet. The exterior cable was at least 20 years old as it predated my house purchase and is also used for cable TV. The outer cable wrap was literally falling off of the center conductor so the impedance match was about non-existent. Cable was replaced and the router replaced too so the whole system was updated at no additional cost to me. I did have to enter the new security code on all of my Wi-Fi devices, a bit of inconvenience.

I had not inspected the cable from the pole to the house or could have seen the cable problem. The problem I did observe was loss of computer wi-fi communication as frequently as weekly, requiring power cycling both the router and wireless modem, down in my basement. The new equipment is good for either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz but none of my personal gear is capable of the higher frequency yet.

Just shows that if you start having a flaky system then look things over and contact your ISP. I phoned in the morning and had the tech show up at 2:00 PM the same day.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
BTW my Internet provider in Reno is Charter Spectrum, the local cable company and their technician showed up within the same business day of my contacting the company. I phoned at about 9:00 AM and he was at the house before 2:00 PM. Outstanding service IMO.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I also have Charter/Spectrum. I agree that they do give good service. When I moved from the 2nd floor to the ground floor of my apt. building and had to get the account switched over to my name (it had been in my mother's name but she wasn't available as she was in hospital) they not only got me switched over but upgraded my equipment to a new router and new WiFi as well. It is a pain to switch over new passwords but the service works well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote