Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #136
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavorite View Post
Thanks GM.

Is https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134637 the best info on serial port recovery?
That is where I would start. Beware that the DX/DXG require a different serial connector than is used in the K3 (which is shown at your linked thread).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #137
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Thanks GM.

Is https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134637 the best info on serial port recovery?
That question is a bit too open ended for a specific answer.

Your posting in the Freescale ATK thread -

If using the ATK, the only difference is to select the serial port rather than a usb port (and have a "com port" to LowVoltage adapter).

**Except for the i.MX31 based machines** The Freescale ATK does not setup the serial port parameters to match that machine.
Which includes the DX and DXG.

The Freescale ATK **should** work with the i.MX31 machines using the USB interface.

Since no one has published how to get a DX or DXG into "Downloader Mode" - there has been no reasons to publish what settings to make in the ATK selection panels.

So just assume you will have to read the manuals that come with the ATK bundle and lookup the RAM, and FLASH part documents to know how to answer the questions.

Keep notes and post what you find to work.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #138
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Thanks GM.

In addition to what knc1 said, anything not already documented here (such as debricking a DX/DXG with USB Downloader mode) needs a pioneer to blaze a (to be documented here) path in order to achieve his goal, in his own personal self-interest.

Most things here were created (and shared) by just such pioneers when they needed or wanted them. In the case of the "simple debricking" thread, you can see that the first success report was my own.

In your case, you may be the very pioneer that we need in order to add DX/DXG devices to our simple debricking success reports. But remember, we recognize pioneers by the arrows sticking out of their backs. It is a slow and painful, but ultimately rewarding experience to see a path through the wilderness that you created become a major traffic artery of future generations of hackers.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-31-2012 at 02:55 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #139
cavorite
Enthusiast
cavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the end

Location: Milky Way galaxy, Orion-Cygnus arm, Sol-III, North America, USA, FL
Device: various iDevices
It seems the first door to unlock is finding the method to get the dx(g) into download mode. I would prefer to use ATK for recovery, it seems more elegant than using the serial port, and I'm going to at least try a few key combinations in the hope of hitting the correct one. Then it would be down to grinding through the ATK manuals to hopefully find the right settings for the i.MX31.

However, I am glad the serial port method is available. Not a big problem to get to find the location on the pcb, per https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49942 but I am not clear whether it's OK to use 3.3V levels or the 1.8V that the K3 needs.

Thanks for the advice, I feel like I have a direction and a road to follow...
cavorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #140
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
It seems the first door to unlock is finding the method to get the dx(g) into download mode. I would prefer to use ATK for recovery, it seems more elegant than using the serial port, and I'm going to at least try a few key combinations in the hope of hitting the correct one. Then it would be down to grinding through the ATK manuals to hopefully find the right settings for the i.MX31.

However, I am glad the serial port method is available. Not a big problem to get to find the location on the pcb, per https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49942 but I am not clear whether it's OK to use 3.3V levels or the 1.8V that the K3 needs.

Thanks for the advice, I feel like I have a direction and a road to follow...
Alright, I admit it, I have read parts of the manual.
It is 1.8v low voltage serial, same as the other Freescale parts.

Even before finding the "magic button" to enter downloader mode - -

Somebody set a standard for description:
"serial port method" is too general.
Since the serial port may be:

Used for manual interaction with the Kindle firmware (it is **both** the U-Boot port and the Kernel's console port) ;

Used for interaction with "down loader mode" of the Freescale part by :
The Freescale Advanced ToolKit (ATK) ;
The K3Flasher (once modified to include the i.MX31 setup) ;
Other, general purpose, serial communications *nix tools (like expect).

That is at least four methods, any one of which could lay claim to the phrase: "serial port method".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #141
cavorite
Enthusiast
cavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the end

Location: Milky Way galaxy, Orion-Cygnus arm, Sol-III, North America, USA, FL
Device: various iDevices
Makes much sense that it would be the low 1.8V level. I think I will go the cautious way and get the FTDI cable - TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE - rather than fiddle with dropping resistors and such. Everything is going to low voltage, I'll probably be needing it again for something.

I will leave the description standard setting to those who did the research, but I agree that right now it is confusing to sort out the various access methods just for the K3, not to mention the further complication of the dx models.
cavorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #142
felonwan
Enthusiast
felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle 3G
what's the sign of USB Download Mode?

My Kindle 3g +wifi is bricked for quiet a long time.
Now, it is a white board normally.
When I connect it to a PC, Windows shows "SE Blank Ringo", and Linux shows "15a2:0030 Freescale Semiconductor Inc.".

Is this the sign of my K3 is in the USB Download Mode?
When I using the ATK tools to debricking my kindle, it just say no usb connection. Also, I cann't get recover imges, is gitbrew or mediafire still working?
I also tried to use k3flasher and I compiled the k3flasher success, but I don't know how to get the ATK ramkernel: 'mx35to2_mmc.bin'...

When connected to a charger, the LED light is always yellow(the same as the battery is taken out) and then went out after several hours but never turn green.

I've tried to charge the battery out of the device, but nothing happened when I put the battery on.

So, is there any hardware errors? The battery or the flash memory?

Last edited by felonwan; 09-03-2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: detail
felonwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #143
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by felonwan View Post
When I connect it to a PC, Windows shows "SE Blank Ringo", and Linux shows "15a2:0030 Freescale Semiconductor Inc.".Is this the sign of my K3 is in the USB Download Mode?
In general, this is the USB Download Mode, yes.
Quote:
When I using the ATK tools to debricking my kindle, it just say no usb connection. Also, I cann't get recover imges, is gitbrew or mediafire still working?
In each and every case? That would be strange. Can you dump (i.e. "download"), say 0x100 bytes starting at offset 0x0?
Quote:
I also tried to use k3flasher and I compiled the k3flasher success, but I don't know how to get the ATK ramkernel: 'mx35to2_mmc.bin'...
Look into your Windows ATK folders.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #144
felonwan
Enthusiast
felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.felonwan can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
In each and every case? That would be strange. Can you dump (i.e. "download"), say 0x100 bytes starting at offset 0x0?
No, I remember i can dump some data two months ago when I installed a driver in Windows 7 (seems using libusb, I don't remember).

Thanks for your help.
I'll first check whether the battery is broken.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #145
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by felonwan View Post
My Kindle 3g +wifi is bricked for quiet a long time.
Now, it is a white board normally.
When I connect it to a PC, Windows shows "SE Blank Ringo", and Linux shows "15a2:0030 Freescale Semiconductor Inc.".

Is this the sign of my K3 is in the USB Download Mode?

When connected to a charger, the LED light is always yellow(the same as the battery is taken out) and then went out after several hours but never turn green.

I've tried to charge the battery out of the device, but nothing happened when I put the battery on.

So, is there any hardware errors? The battery or the flash memory?
You didn't need to cross post -- That is usually frowned upon here....
I posted an answer in the thread you created. You may want to look there.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #146
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Desperation makes us do crazy things... GAH, I CROSS POSTED!!!

In other news me an knc appear to have found a telnet process just waiting to happen on the 3 using an updated busybox... ! GAH, I CROSS POSTED AGAIN!!!

Now I just need to Top Post all this to make the triple!!!
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:02 AM   #147
felonwan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
You didn't need to cross post -- That is usually frowned upon here....
I posted an answer in the thread you created. You may want to look there.
I'm sorry for this. My thread had no response at that time, and I found that you guys seems hang out more here- the 'Kindle Developer's Corner', so I wrote this post.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #148
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Heh. its fine. And thanks for being a sport about us ribbing you over it. Good call on the finding the right place. Hope you get it sorted.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote