Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2007, 05:15 PM   #61
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by THJahar View Post
Seriously, am I the only one concerned about the mis-selling of the product by using a mocked up reader displaying red ink???
Surely the readers of newsweek are going to think that this thing displays colour, and they are not disavowed of this idea by the text of the article.
I think you're right, it won't help at all. Let's face it: Kindle's ugly-factor will only go up when consumers realize it's a black-and-white only reader. Heck, even daily newspapers have color content now.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #62
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Well, seems crazy to me to care what it looks like. But who am I to judge? I've always driven ugly cars and worn ugly clothes, if you listen to what my friends say. I suppose style is important for something - I'm just not sure what!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #63
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, usually you can get "ugly" for less money. However, that clearly doesn't apply in Kindle's case. (Bedump-bump!) Thanks, I'm here all week! Try the veal!...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:24 PM   #64
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Let me put it like this: I don't care about my look or my style or whatever.
But: If I have the choice between a device looking ugly as hell and a normal kind of device that doesn't make me run and scream if I look at it, I get the second one.
And: Most people *do* choose by the look. And the kindle is ugly, so ... making an ugly eReader is a bad decision ...
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #65
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Ugly or not ... choosing white sure was a bad move ... I mean, this a device that you will hold in your hands for hours. Even if you wash your hands constantly, even if you bath them in some acid before touching the kindle ... skin tends to leave marks.

But then, after half a year of use it will not only be ugly but also dirty ... which might add some outlaw-rockstar-hillbilly-sexiness to it ... god knows
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #66
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashalan View Post
Ugly or not ... choosing white sure was a bad move
I can't help but notice how grey the screen looks next to that white cover. Sony's pick of black I think may have been a smarter idea. But then, that's coming from a guy who couldn't care if the cover was pink with purple polka dots!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #67
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I would have preferred a sexier device, and a black one too (I like black...) but i'll have to tell you, that if they start selling that thing in Germany tomorrow, I'll be right there and order it straight away.

I love Amazon, I've always been a happy customer there and only stopped shopping there regularly when I got the Iliad. Now I can buy mobipocket books anywhere, but to be able to browse Amazon.de (or Amazon.com if needs be) and just buy what I like would be...a little bit like heaven...call me mad if you like...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:39 PM   #68
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
While ultimately the function matters way more than the form to me, I don't see why it has to be ugly. Why not make something that is both functional and beautiful? I'd settle for at least not fugly. (Plus that white color actually is both an aesthetic and functional problem as others have already pointed out.) I want my world to be a beautiful place. I don't care much for trends and fashion but I do care about grace and harmony. The Sony Reader is dead sexy. The Cybook is at least sleek and actually quite charming in the leather cover. Amazon should set the bar a little higher. Many bibliophiles love the aesthetics of books and can be quite attached to that sensory experience of reading beyond the words on the page. If you want them to put down the paper, you should offer them something similarly intriguing.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:56 PM   #69
modsoul
Enthusiast
modsoul began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I don't get all this worry about how it looks. Is it really important? Surely most of you would agree that functionality and cost are critical, yes? If so, then everything else is minutia, yes? If it had to look like an Etch-a-Sketch to have all the functionality you wanted, wouldn't you rather it did so?

nope. looks to me are just as if not more important. honestly i need a device that looks elegent if not cool to be able to use it in public.

would you date a super ugly girl who was super nice and super great in bed over a pretty one who wasn't so great in bed ?
modsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:13 PM   #70
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I know lots of people that discard perfectly functional cell phones for the latest and greatest sexy phone. I was also reading that teens don't wear watches any more because they want to pull out their cell phones like a pocket watch to impress people.

I'm not that concerned about appearance but I think the mass market they're targeting are. When I pull out the reader in a coffee shop I don't want to feel like an 8 year old dropping his drawers in a locker room full of teenagers, staring at the floor and hoping nobody notices. Maybe a nice leather case that covers everything but the screen and page buttons will solve it. I do think the picture on the cover of Newsweek doesn't look that bad.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #71
Panurge
Enthusiast
Panurge has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Panurge has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Panurge has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Panurge has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Two brief comments:
1. recently, pundits were convinced the new iPod Nano was ugly and couldn't believe Apple had actually designed such a device until they saw it in 3 dimensions, when it made sense;
and
2. e-book devices will begin to dominate when they are the norm in education, from high school (or even elementary school) to graduate school. The key is not to sell bestsellers on these devices but to get children accustomed to them from the beginning (and relieve them of carrying 30-40 pounds of books around in a backpack).
My modest comments, possibly altogether mistaken. But I have taught on the university level for 42 years and run a library, so I'm ready to go with the flow.
Panurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:09 PM   #72
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsoul View Post
would you date a super ugly girl who was super nice and super great in bed over a pretty one who wasn't so great in bed ?
Actually, yes

Beauty is only the honey-trap packaging. It is there to attract you and hold you long enough to procreate. Your feelings will change as your oxytocin level drops back to normal in any case. If you haven't become close friends by the time that happens, you will just have to start all over with someone else. The love hormone will only keep you high so long. Then you must have some combination of trust, friendship and great sex to keep it all going. Some couples can coast along on only one of the three.

We will all look like androgynous raisins in the end anyway.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #73
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

We could probably debate how much aesthetics plays or doesn't play into a buying decision all day, week, month, year, decade, etc.

I figure that since most companies spend a heck of a lot of money on research, mock-ups, and design they have data that shows it matters. I doubt that after all these years of product and industrial design we'd find out that everyone was wrong.

It doesn't mean that a company can't produce an ugly design, however. And it doesn't mean the design won't affect buying decisions.

Last edited by tcv; 11-18-2007 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:04 PM   #74
Monteagle
Monteagle began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700w
Will the $9.99 price be available to other ebook retailers and for other formats? It's about time the publishers made this price point available, but if discounts enjoyed aren't the same, then this is a clear violation of anti-trust legislation. Hope the publishers keep this in mind. Or does Amazon and the web remain above fair trade practices?
Monteagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #75
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monteagle View Post
Will the $9.99 price be available to other ebook retailers and for other formats? It's about time the publishers made this price point available, but if discounts enjoyed aren't the same, then this is a clear violation of anti-trust legislation. Hope the publishers keep this in mind. Or does Amazon and the web remain above fair trade practices?
Reading the Newsweek article & the quote from the Penguin guy Amazon isn't getting any special discount from them & is likely offering the $9.99 price as a loss leader.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote