Enthusiast
MegAnne began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10
Thank you so much, that would be great!
MegAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Beta for site changes

Attached is a beta for the changes to the FictionDB site. It should do everything except some of the tags.

The tags are a little problem. The current plugin has option to collect several different types of tags and categories into he tag column. I think these have changed on the site but I don't have examples books covering all of them.

The current plugin has: "Genre", "sub-genres", "themes", "Time Period", "tags", "age level" and "people / creatures". Of thee, I have "Genre" and "Time Period" working. The site now has "Classification", which I suspect is what was "tags". For the rest, I don't know if they still exist on the site or not.

So, I need testers for this beta. If you find a problem, please post the link to the book and a description of what is wrong. And I need samples that cover the categories above. And any other category I might not have seen.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FictionDB-beta.zip (16.3 KB, 467 views)
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:24 PM   #48
MegAnne
Enthusiast

In the past I had used the plugin to assign "Genre" to just over 400 books and "sub-genres" to more or less one thousand books. Since I'm a data-hoarder that information is still in my database and the books are a broad mix of genres.
When the previous plugin worked and I flagged only Genre, I would get only one tag and that was perfect for my needs - I was quite more interested on assigning genre and sub-genre to my books than on Tags . Now, flagging only Genre, I get a mix, including sub-genres, age level, time period.
Is this what you expected?
Old 09-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegAnne View Post
When the previous plugin worked and I flagged only Genre, I would get only one tag and that was perfect for my needs - I was quite more interested on assigning genre and sub-genre to my books than on Tags . Now, flagging only Genre, I get a mix, including sub-genres, age level, time period.
No, that isn't what I expect. I was expecting Genre and "Time period" to work correctly. Can you post the link to a couple of books so I can test them?
Old 09-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #50
MegAnne
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, that isn't what I expect. I was expecting Genre and "Time period" to work correctly. Can you post the link to a couple of books so I can test them?
I had PMed a couple of links for testing. Should I send a few more?
Old 09-27-2015, 10:37 PM   #51
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I had PMed a couple of links for testing. Should I send a few more?
The links should be enough, but I just haven't gotten back to looking at this yet. It should be sometime this week or on the weekend.

And my apologies for not replying. I expected to have an update sooner than this, so planned for that to be the reply.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:01 AM   #52
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
In the past I had used the plugin to assign "Genre" to just over 400 books and "sub-genres" to more or less one thousand books. Since I'm a data-hoarder that information is still in my database and the books are a broad mix of genres.
I have finally had a look at the two examples you sent. As far as I can tell, the plugin is getting the correct results. I think what has happened is that the site has reorganised some the data.

Firstly, for the two books you sent, this is what I see.

"Six" by M.M. Vaughan - http://www.fictiondb.com/author/mm-v...~1110661~b.htm

This has the following that could be considered as tags:
- Time period - Contemporary
- Genre - Kids (12 & Under), Kids: Middle Grade, Speculative Fiction, Action Adventure
- Classification - Action & Adventure - General, Science & Technology, Science Fiction
- Age Level - 08-12

"Two of a Mind" by S.M. Stuart - http://www.fictiondb.com/author/sm-s...~1249706~b.htm

This has the following that could be considered as tags:
- Genre - Kids (12 & Under), Speculative Fiction, Science Fiction
- Classification - Science Fiction

So, what my version retrieves as "Genre" is what the site shows as "Genre" on the books page.

My changes can get the "Time period" and "Genre". The released version has "genres", "sub-genres", "themes", "time period", "tags" and "age level". These no longer match the site. "Time period" is obvious, but, for the rest, I don't know the new names. I would have said that "Genre" was the same in both, but I am now wondering of genre is now "Classification" and "sub-genre" is now "Genre".

To add to the confusion, the advanced search page has the five metadata search groups. These are "Genre", "Sub-genre", "Theme", "People/Creatures", "Age Level" and "Time period". Each of these have several options. The options under "Age Level" include what the two "Kids" genre's shown above. It looks like the search options in "Genre", "Sub-genre", "Theme", "People/Creatures" and "Age Level" are all now in the "Genre" section of the book details page.

From this, unless someone can find books with the other types, I can only get "Genre", "Classification" and "Time period" to put into the tags. The options will have to be reduced to just these three.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:58 PM   #53
MegAnne
Enthusiast

Quote:
My changes can get the "Time period" and "Genre". The released version has "genres", "sub-genres", "themes", "time period", "tags" and "age level". These no longer match the site. "Time period" is obvious, but, for the rest, I don't know the new names. I would have said that "Genre" was the same in both, but I am now wondering of genre is now "Classification" and "sub-genre" is now "Genre".

To add to the confusion, the advanced search page has the five metadata search groups. These are "Genre", "Sub-genre", "Theme", "People/Creatures", "Age Level" and "Time period". Each of these have several options. The options under "Age Level" include what the two "Kids" genre's shown above. It looks like the search options in "Genre", "Sub-genre", "Theme", "People/Creatures" and "Age Level" are all now in the "Genre" section of the book details page.

From this, unless someone can find books with the other types, I can only get "Genre", "Classification" and "Time period" to put into the tags. The options will have to be reduced to just these three.
Sorry for the very delayed reply. For what is worth, I agree that it would seem that Genre is now "Classification" and "sub-genre" is now "Genre". Are
you planning on releasing another beta version adding Classification? That would be great.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:03 PM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry for the very delayed reply. For what is worth, I agree that it would seem that Genre is now "Classification" and "sub-genre" is now "Genre". Are
you planning on releasing another beta version adding Classification? That would be great.
OK. Here is a beta which will get the tags from "Genre", "Classification" and "Time Period". I have also changed the configuration to just these three options.

If everything seems OK, I will arrange for it to be released during the week.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FictionDB-beta.zip (15.9 KB, 402 views)
Old 01-16-2016, 10:38 PM   #55
MegAnne
Enthusiast

Quote:
OK. Here is a beta which will get the tags from "Genre", "Classification" and "Time Period". I have also changed the configuration to just these three options.

If everything seems OK, I will arrange for it to be released during the week.
It would seem that Classification now works more like "sub-genres" since I get several tags when choosing it (and nothing else). Unfortunately, I get a mix of genres and "target age" (i.e. "Young Adult / Teens", "Mature (18 & Over)") if I choose only Genre.
P.S. - Life hasn't been cooperating, my apologies again for the long intervals between my posts.

Last edited by MegAnne; 01-17-2016 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:21 AM   #56
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It would seem that Classification now works more like "sub-genres" since I get several tags when choosing it (and nothing else). Unfortunately, I get a mix of genres and "target age" (i.e. "Young Adult / Teens", "Mature (18 & Over)") if I choose only Genre.
Yes, that's about how I see it. Have you looked at the actual site to see how this is shown on the page? Or seen if there is anything else for these books that should be included?
Quote:
P.S. - Life hasn't been cooperating, my apologies again for the long intervals between my posts.
Not to worry. But, I have to admit I had completely forgotten about these changes since then.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #57
MegAnne
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, that's about how I see it. Have you looked at the actual site to see how this is shown on the page? Or seen if there is anything else for these books that should be included?
Oh your plug-in works. The issue is the site. Llooking at specific books we see a list of several items under Genre and Classification. And somehow those are not very clean either... Oh well...
Thank you so much. You did a lot.
Edit: I was wonder about the following... When I do a search on an author, (for example http://www.fictiondb.com/author/ilona-andrews~41176.htm) and I click on the + sign for any book, it shows the Genre as a two or three letters code, that corresponds to the codes listed on the Genres list page (http://www.fictiondb.com/genres.htm). Any chance that could be captured?

Last edited by MegAnne; 01-17-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #58
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oh your plug-in works. The issue is the site. Llooking at specific books we see a list of several items under Genre and Classification. And somehow those are not very clean either... Oh well...
Yes, at this point I think the problem is the quality of the data on the site.
Quote:
Thank you so much. You did a lot.
Edit: I was wonder about the following... When I do a search on an author, (for example http://www.fictiondb.com/author/ilona-andrews~41176.htm) and I click on the + sign for any book, it shows the Genre as a two or three letters code, that corresponds to the codes listed on the Genres list page (http://www.fictiondb.com/genres.htm). Any chance that could be captured?
Sorry, but I don't see any + signs next the books. Do I need to login to see them?
Old 01-29-2016, 09:08 PM   #59
MegAnne
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, at this point I think the problem is the quality of the data on the site.

Sorry, but I don't see any + signs next the books. Do I need to login to see them?
Weird enough, I do not see the + sign anymore either, they must have changed something. BUT... if I'm logged on and I see the list of the books by Ilona Andrews, the column Genre shows those codes, 1 to 3 letters.

Uhm, just tried logging out and re-doing the search by author. The same codes show as the 2nd column: http://www.fictiondb.com/author/auth...d=41176&ltyp=3
If this helps: I'm guessing they use UF for Urban Fantasy, PNR for Paranormal Romance etc.
Still on the weirdness... I tried a search for Kim Harrison and got this: http://www.fictiondb.com/search/sear...arrison&styp=5
The code is the 3rd field. I'm lost.

If I'm logged on, the data is more consistent: the column Genre, with those codes, is the 4th one.

Last edited by MegAnne; 01-29-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:34 AM   #60
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Weird enough, I do not see the + sign anymore either, they must have changed something. BUT... if I'm logged on and I see the list of the books by Ilona Andrews, the column Genre shows those codes, 1 to 3 letters.

Uhm, just tried logging out and re-doing the search by author. The same codes show as the 2nd column: http://www.fictiondb.com/author/auth...d=41176&ltyp=3
If this helps: I'm guessing they use UF for Urban Fantasy, PNR for Paranormal Romance etc.
If you hover the mouse over the code, the name for the code is displayed. And, you are correct for these two. From a quick look, whatever genre is used in the list is one of the genre's shown on the book page.
Quote:
Still on the weirdness... I tried a search for Kim Harrison and got this: http://www.fictiondb.com/search/sear...arrison&styp=5
The code is the 3rd field. I'm lost.
That is a different list with a different purpose and hence different details. The first list is on the author page, so the author is always the same. The second list is a general search where your search argument is match against the author, title, series and ISBN. Your search would match a book called "An Analysis of the Fiction of Kim Harrison" which is probably not written by Kim Harrison. For a real example, search for "Robert Heinlein". The result has three books with that in the title.
Quote:
If I'm logged on, the data is more consistent: the column Genre, with those codes, is the 4th one.
I get more columns, but they are extras on the two different lists.