Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 07-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Newspaper creator?

Hi!

This is a question/Request thread.
I'm looking for a solution for the following problem:

I can get any amount of free and up-to-date news on the web from www.netzzeitung.de for example.
What I would like to do, is take a compiled edition of those news (not headlines, complete articles) every morning and put them on my Iliad (once it arrives) for reading during the day.
So far I haven't found any way to do this. All RSS readers I found just show the headlines and then link you to the pages. Some kind of "web-grabber" would work, but it would have to be "routed" through the feed-reader to be useful.

I don't think it would be a techincal problem to make a little program or script that does this, but since I can't even "write" HTML I'm not the right person to decide that...^^

The way I imagine this:

The program acts like an RSS reader. It lets you subscribe to certain newsfeeds, blogs, ...whatever. It then automatically follows the link to the article and loads that as well and makes a local link. All this data then goes to a folder that I can then simply put on my Iliad and use.
You could also try to put the content behind the links into the text directly, thus losing some clarity but gaining compatibility for devices that don't support links.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:03 PM   #2
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
I think it should be doable. RSS feeds mostly just churns out xml text data with links embedded in them. The linked page can be downloaded while the embedded links be converted to a local relative URL. That should do it.

I could do one in php and put it on a site. But guess it would make more sense to have it on the desktop. Could do one with C++. iLiad reads HTML directly right? So the pages can be stored as a single folder and synced to iLiad using iLiad's tools.
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2006, 03:06 AM   #3
Pitchfork
Connoisseur
Pitchfork began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad/Ipaq 6340
@Snappy

I think a certain amount of cleanup would be required on the downloaded HTML, pages as many news services have advertising videos etc. Also we don't really know what HTML elements the iliad can handle. How will it react to javascripts, layers, embedded objects?
Pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:20 AM   #4
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Well, Sunrise XP does something along these lines. I'm thinking of creating a version that generates PDF documents. It's still too early to say whether this is feasible. It all depends on the PDF rendering capabilities and speed of the new e-ink devices. We'll have to wait and see how PDF support works out in practice and maybe the bundled web-grabbing software is good enough already.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:56 AM   #5
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Well, Sunrise XP does something along these lines. I'm thinking of creating a version that generates PDF documents. It's still too early to say whether this is feasible. It all depends on the PDF rendering capabilities and speed of the new e-ink devices. We'll have to wait and see how PDF support works out in practice and maybe the bundled web-grabbing software is good enough already.
if you want i can try pdfs and give some feedback of how they work on the Iliad.

Just have to wait till wednesday when my iliad is returned
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2006, 06:29 AM   #6
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
ts ts ts...you shouldn't give you Iliad away all the time...I know i won't give mine away...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #7
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
ts ts ts...you shouldn't give you Iliad away all the time...I know i won't give mine away...^^
I'm just helping spread the word.

I'm just glad Alex finally followed my advice and gave everyone a chance to order the Iliad, has long has they acknoledge the state of the device OS at the time
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:51 AM   #8
MatYadabyte
Zealot
MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Commander

If you want to help us test it, we can get NewsRaider working on Iliad. As you know it downlaods the sources so I guess we would just need to transfer a compiled HTML file to the device?

Let me know if that sounds interesting,

Mat

ps www.newsraider.com
MatYadabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:12 PM   #9
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrycat
if you want i can try pdfs and give some feedback of how they work on the Iliad.
Thanks for the offer, but it's going to be at least several months before I'll get started on it. Hopefully the Sony will be available by then so I can determine the requirements based on the capabilities of both devices. And if the bundled software is good enough, I won't have to put in any effort anyway. We'll see.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote