Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #1
jodrell
jodrell began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
iTunes for eBooks??

Well the title says what I'm looking for really, some way to organise my eBooks on my Mac that is more advanced than just a folder full of files . . . it'd be nice if you could do things like sort by Author or Genre too (this would be especially handy where there are multiple books in a single file) and if it would show which ones have been read etc . . . basically like iTunes.

What does everyone else use?
jodrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
you might take a look at calibre, which is a very good library management program which also supports format conversion. it's developped by kovid goyal who is a member here so the support is also excellent, and it's available for macs. take a look in the dedicated calibre forum to get started.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can it be used with the CyBook, Zelda? I was under the impression that it was a "Sony Only" thing. However, I've never tried using it, so I could be completely wrong!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well, i had the impression that one reason kovid changed the name from libprs (or whatever it used to be) was that he intended to support more than just the sony devices. currently, it can manage ebooks in any format. it is an excellent file management system since it manages "logical books" which means each book has one entry in the database and you can then add as many different formats (individual files) to that entry as you like. it has excellent editable meta-data management and allows you to add tags (sortable) and comments which can be used for a description.

it cannot (to my knowledge) yet "send to device" as it does when you connect a sony, however using the "save to disk" > "save single format" command, having specified the prc format as default format for that in the preferences, you can easily export a book to an external drive (the cybook), which seems like a reasonable compromise. i suggest it because for the moment i'm not aware of a better application ; there may be one that i don't know about.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can it be used with the CyBook, Zelda? I was under the impression that it was a "Sony Only" thing. However, I've never tried using it, so I could be completely wrong!
Harry,

Don't fret.... we are all wrong once or twice in our lives.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I just received a working driver (at least on linux) for the Cybook for calibre from John Schember and llasram is working on adding MOBI output support to calibre, which means that the Cybook gen3 will be a fully supported device in calibre, pretty soon.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I just received a working driver (at least on linux) for the Cybook for calibre from John Schember and llasram is working on adding MOBI output support to calibre, which means that the Cybook gen3 will be a fully supported device in calibre, pretty soon.
Nice. Any docs on creating a driver? I could try my hand at doing a Kindle one if I could find the time.

Also, mobi "output" support means conversions to mobi format? If so, that probably isn't needed as much since most ebooks can already be found in that format.

BOb
Old 01-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is already an unmaintained Kindle driver in the calibre package. You'd just have to modify it to get it working. Basically, all calibre drivers have to implement the interface defined here http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kovid/c...2Finterface.py
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
There is already an unmaintained Kindle driver in the calibre package. You'd just have to modify it to get it working. Basically, all calibre drivers have to implement the interface defined here http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kovid/calibre/trunk/annotate/kovid%40kovidgoyal.net-20080503012900-ch7vk8ob2st34dqw?file_id=303%40b0dd1a5d-880a-0410-ada5-a57097536bc1%3Alibprs500%252Ftrunk%3Asrc%252Flibpr s500%252Fdevices%252Finterface.py
Thanks... I'll take a look. Still have not done much python, and currently trying to learn Ruby... but, if something is started it may be doable.

BOb
Old 01-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #10
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Quote:
Excellent news! Thanks alot!
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Cool......................
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:41 AM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Marvelous news! Please make sure you announce it widely when it happens.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #13
jodrell
jodrell began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
Does that men it'll be able to output eReader format books into a format that the Cybook can read?
jodrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodrell View Post
Does that men it'll be able to output eReader format books into a format that the Cybook can read?
yes, if i've understood correctly, they are currently working on that feature. it should be possible soon.