Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-17-2014, 07:29 AM   #1
LH07
Enthusiast
LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet
Smile which do you prefer

Afternoon all I was wondering what peoples preference were when looking at their books/collection. Do you prefer to see your book covers in colour or do you prefer the text /black white view as in ereaders .
LH07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I never see book covers on my Kindle PW, so they are irrelevant to me. I have my Kindle configured to display a text list of titles, which I find more useful than covers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LH07 View Post
Afternoon all I was wondering what peoples preference were when looking at their books/collection. Do you prefer to see your book covers in colour or do you prefer the text /black white view as in ereaders .
I don't mind the black and white for the covers. For me, colour is not worth the downsides with current tech (weight, battery life, overly bright 'n' blue-toned screens).

When we live in the age of cheap high-res colour e-ink without any of those downsides: sure, I'll take it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I don't mind the black and white for the covers. For me, colour is not worth the downsides with current tech (weight, battery life, overly bright 'n' blue-toned screens).

When we live in the age of cheap high-res colour e-ink without any of those downsides: sure, I'll take it.
Ditto on the above, plus not being able to even see the color covers (or anything else) in daylight when outdoors in sun. If it's ever available at a reasonable price (ie, equal to what e-ink displays are now), I might get it, but I'm perfectly happy with black and white covers on my reading devices and could just as easily pass on it. There's really no advantage for me.

Seriously, how much time do you spend looking at the cover for it to matter?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I'll second what meeera said, with a caveat: sometimes I'd rather not see the cover at all. Some publishers create covers that are so generic that they are nothing more than their imprint logo. With some ereaders and ereading software this is worse than useless and ugly: it makes it impossible to identify the book since only the cover is displayed.

When it comes to physical books though, I'll take colour any day. Greyscale would make the home a tad too drab.
Advert
Old 01-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I'll second what meeera said, with a caveat: sometimes I'd rather not see the cover at all. Some publishers create covers that are so generic that they are nothing more than their imprint logo.
Yep - most notably Penguin, who in the majority (although not all) of their ebooks just have the Penguin logo as the cover image. No title, no author.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I prefer seeing my covers. Can't waste that nice resolution bump on the Paperwhite 2.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #8
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yep - most notably Penguin, who in the majority (although not all) of their ebooks just have the Penguin logo as the cover image. No title, no author.
I understand the rights issue for the artwork, but I really don't get why some publishers do that. Generating generic covers that include the title and author is pretty easy after all. Some of those generic covers also look pretty good. Even providing a book without a cover would be preferable because the ereader or ereading software could generate something with the necessary information.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LH07 View Post
I prefer colour covers. Although a colour cover done with consideratiuon for what it will look like in greyscale is appreciated.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I use cover view in Calibre on my computer, all in lovely full colour, and list view on my Paperwhite.

I tried cover view on the Paperwhite, but having only six covers showing and it being sometimes very difficult to tell them apart or to see the title made me switch back to list view fairly quickly.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The only thing I really miss about paper books are the covers they had. Some were truely grogeous. I liked looking at them before starting reading and it was easier remembering what a book was about by looking at the cover. Sometimes titles alone don't spark my memory quite as well. I wish I could buy downloadable cover pictures of my favorites from the publishers. I'd like a photogallery of them as a screensaver on my computer. I don't miss covers enough however to switch from eink to a tablet.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #12
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I like seeing covers, and I'd like them in color, but it's more important to me to have e-ink for the text. I'll take b/w covers over having to read on a tablet.

I have an easier time remembering which book is which based on the picture of the color than the title so I do prefer pictures of the cover to a simple list of author and title.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I prefer both. I use Calibre Companion and I don't use the cover only view because I don't usually remember the cover, I need both cover and title to remember.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I don't understand the question. Are you creating/selling ebooks? You definitely need color covers for whatever website is selling the books. Those who have b&w readers will have to live with b&w covers. I don't think people *prefer* b&w covers. It's just that they prefer a b&w reader for other reasons, and a b&w reader can't display a color cover.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #15
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I prefer the "Title Page" in B&W.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote