Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
A back cushion/grip surface

It's not a cover or a case, but it does provide some protection and improves
the grip on the AuraHD.

It is super easy to do. The soft rubber tread comes with an adhesive back.

http://www.kofflersales.com/p/foam-a...ape.asp?cid=23

It cuts easily with scissors or better an Exacto knife or razor blade.

Luck;
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	106471   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	106473   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	106779   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	106798  

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-08-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Looks thick at the back.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Looks thick at the back.
You can probably find a thinner rubber sheet if you look around.

But I wonder how much of a fall that Kobo could take if it managed to fall on the padded surface (rather than on an edge or corner).
Old 05-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Looks thick at the back.
Right if you could find it a little thinner that might be better, but the
thickness of the foam rubber helps to provide the soft feel as well as
the cushioning. I think about half as thick might still work.

I made the first picture to point out the thickness. So far it doesn't
make much difference in a sense of the device's thickness, you don't
notice the added thickness reading with it.

Another benefit is that it is less likely to slide off anything you put it on.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-31-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
You can probably find a thinner rubber sheet if you look around.

But I wonder how much of a fall that Kobo could take if it managed to fall on the padded surface (rather than on an edge or corner).
Certainly better than without, if nothing else, the tape and lateral stiffness
would reinforce the back, major portion of the case.

You might find some good double sided tape and then there could be
plenty of options using mousepad art. I think they would not provide as
much in the way of a griping surface. Could look neat though.

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 05-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
You might find some good double sided tape and then there could be
plenty of options using mousepad art. I think they would not provide as
much in the way of a griping surface. Could look neat though.
A family member has a vinyl cutter, which is great for cutting out all types of neat designs that can be tacked onto flat(ish) surface. So thank-you for triggering my memory.

Vinyl doesn't exactly solve the slipperiness problem, but I seem to be one of the few people who are okay with the smooth surface.

(That said, I don't know how wise it is to put a knife into the paws of a computer. )
Old 05-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Murphy says the Aura will land face side down to protect the foam from damage
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:08 AM   #8
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Damn that Murphy! I made a case from two slices of buttered toast for my Glo so the reader would just float in mid air whilst trying to decide which slice should be face down. Darned if I can figure out how to grab it while it's spinning. Mark II will have magnets and be suspended within a coil so I can charge the reader and possibly divert power to toast the bread. I figure the real challenge will be calculating the proper height from which the reader must be dropped to get the bread toasted just the way I like it!

On a slightly more serious note, Wal-Mart has sheets of quite thin textured Duck Tape available in 8.25 x 10" in their craft sections that come with patterns ranging from handle-bar mustaches( I swear, I couldn't have dreamt that one up) to a tie-dye look.

Last edited by TechniSol; 06-01-2013 at 03:44 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I made a case from two slices of buttered toast for my Glo so the reader would just float in mid air whilst trying to decide which slice should be face down. .

Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I tried experimenting with improving the grip on the Aura using bits of black vinyl tape in various locations, and I don't think it's going to work. Here's why:

- I think the sharp corner of the Aura compared to the Touch bothers me most, and there's no easy way to fix that.

- While the back of the Aura feels slick, my fingers tend to grip it ok after a few seconds of contact. But the Touch feels more secure because the narrower and lighter body is more balanced on my fingers, firmly located on the quilted back.

- The grip of my thumb on the narrow and slick bezel of the Aura feels less secure than the grippy top surface of my black Touch. That's more of a problem than the back surface. But it's harder to put some neat stick-on coating on the bezel without it looking bad or being visually distracting.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I applaud you. Most people, for any number of reasons, just would not do that. You are a pioneer, sir.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Found some thinner adhesive backed rubber sheet, but it is smooth not textured:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Rubber-Sheet-1DXC6

TechniSol's Duck Tape sheets might be just the thing to cover the bezel, the texture
might be enough for FJames's thumb, and it also comes in plain black (not likely to be
too distracting).

Luck;
Ken

I have ordered a sample of carbon fiber textured adhesive backed vinyl to try on the
bezel.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-02-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #13
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
The Kobo Touch and Glo both have a nice finely textured coating - at least it seems to be a coating as the inside of the case seems like a smooth plastic. My Lenovo X41T laptop/convertible has a similar finish on the case. It's interesting that it's soft enough to pick up the impressions of a note written on a sheet of paper placed on it, yet durable enough for you to just rub the impression out. It's a little softer than I'd like, but would be a great coating for some projects. Wish I had a clue as to what is the material. It's a very elegant if slightly soft finish, but ultimately forgiving.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Added new pic #3&4 showing carbon fiber textured vinyl car wrap applied to the bezel.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-08-2013 at 08:09 PM.