Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
bhewson
bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo 2.4 Web Browser no longer functions

Prior to 2.4 firmware upgrade (Kobo Glo) I'd use the web browser
function to wirelessly connect to Calibre to transfer the odd book.

Now, any address you enter, is ignored when you touch "Go" and
you simply wind up with a blank page & address window.

It used to work?? Anyone else figured out how to get it working.

I have reported the bug to Kobo, but per the note at the top
of the "Extras" page where the browser is found, its stated all
functions on that page are unsupported by Kobo!
bhewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhewson View Post

you simply wind up with a blank page & address window.!
You need to start the address with "http://" even if its a local address (like an IP address, i.e. 'http://192.168.2.1'). Oddly enough it does add 'www' as necessary after you have hit 'GO' so you don't need to add it when entering in addresses. (i.e. entering 'http://google.com')

I do see what you mean though, it is convenient to use the circled X button besides the address bar to clear out the text box and then type in the desired address, unfortunately doing so means you have to type in the prefix and address every time. It’s a web browser, it seems silly to add “http://” to every address (even local ones).
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Just transferred a couple of books using the browser and Calibre content server here - no problems, it's working just as before.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:

you simply wind up with a blank page & address window.

It used to work?? Anyone else figured out how to get it working.

I have reported the bug to Kobo, but per the note at the top
of the "Extras" page where the browser is found, its stated all
functions on that page are unsupported by Kobo!
I can connect no problem to all websites i enter. I do however have the soduko bug where the numbers are basically blacked out on the input grid at the bottom of the screen

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
bhewson
bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thanks

Indeed if you preface the desired address with: http:// it does work.

A clumsy browser at best so connecting to Caliber on my home network is all I use it for. However you have to use the IP address for the Kobo browser to find the Caliber server to connect. Using the "name and port #" of the Caliber server does not work with the Kobo browser although that form does work fine with other devices/browsers.

Good enough for the quick wireless transfer of a book or news subscription however.

Thanks again for the info.
bhewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Indeed if you preface the desired address with: http:// it does work.

A clumsy browser at best so connecting to Caliber on my home network is all I use it for. However you have to use the IP address for the Kobo browser to find the Caliber server to connect. Using the "name and port #" of the Caliber server does not work with the Kobo browser although that form does work fine with other devices/browsers.

Good enough for the quick wireless transfer of a book or news subscription however.

Thanks again for the info.
To use a "name" instead of an ip address, it needs to be in the devices local hosts file, or you need to have a DNS server on your network that the device is configured to use, or similar. The names needs to be resolved to the ip address by _something_.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I named my laptop "tpad" during Debian Linux installation, and I can access the Calibre content server as http://tpad:8080 from the 2.4.0 browser.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
Zen70
Zen70 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I named my laptop "tpad" during Debian Linux installation, and I can access the Calibre content server as http://tpad:8080 from the 2.4.0 browser.
Thank you, GeoffR.
I wrote:
http://192.165.1.15:8080
(It's the IP address of my notebook where is located calibre) and it works !!
Thank you again, bye :-)
Zen70 is offline   Reply With Quote