Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #16
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
spoken portions is mainly what I was meaning, but even sometimes the narration seems wrong, if I am reading a book by a US author it would seem odd to me if it started using UK terms (car boot instead of trunk as example)
Again, I guess it would depend on the circumstance. If it was in dialogue, I would expect them to stick to the character's background in such situations. But in the narration, all bets are off. I brought the issue up less concerned with local expressions/words, and more with spellings of common words ("realise" vs. "realize", "maneuver" vs. "manoeuvre", etc.).

Quote:
another odd one I found, book I read recently based in UK not sure where the author was, but when driving in the car it was using KM/H, that didnt feel right in a UK book
Yes, that is an interesting one. Almost as interesting as the fact that you haven't switched to KM/h yet! It's fascinating to me how different parts of the former British Empire have metricised to different degrees. Like in Canada we still measure a person's height in feet/inches, and their weight in pounds. Yet we buy our gas/milk/juice/etc. in litres, we drive in KM/h, and the temperature is usually discussed in celsius. It's a real mish-mash. And from talking to people in the UK, Australia, and NZ, what units of Imperial Measure are still common, and what units of metric have become common, are different in each place.

Quote:
I am re buying some books I have in paperback at the moment, so when I come to some US terms I will check the paperback to see what that has in it
Thanks, I would really appreciate that!
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #17
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
We have switched everything over officially, but the one people have trouble with is metres and centimetres versus feet and inches. So if the police are looking for someone who is described as, say 165 cm tall, you sometimes see (5' 6") in brackets if it's a newspaper report.

But we are fine with Km/h and Celsius temperatures. The only time Fahrenheit is ever mentioned is where the temperature gets up to or beyond 100 degrees F - it somehow justifies our feeling so hot!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2012, 05:25 AM   #18
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
Do US written books, such as Dan Brown's books, get translated to UK English for the British market?
Not generally, no - UK publishers (at least for books) tend to leave the language alone, whereas US publishers usually insist (even for major sellers like Rowling) that the language is changed to US English, even when it makes no sense whatever to do so. The same thing tends to happen with TV programmes - US shows will appear as the original in the UK, but the US execs will insist on remaking the UK ones. I'm still trying to work out whether these people are control freaks, or whether they believe their audience too dumb to cope with different versions of the language.

Last edited by LuvReadin; 07-23-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Bit of word missing!
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #19
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
I'm still trying to work out whether these people are control freaks, or whether they believe their audience too dumb to cope with different versions of the language.
It's the accent. American TV doesn't like shows where every one talks funny.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #20
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Things can get a little schizophrenic here in Australia — it's anyone's guess, even from the same publisher, whether we'll get a US or UK imprint of a book. In fact, I was recently given a copy of an urban fantasy, "The Traveller" by John Twelve Hawk, to read ... and the title is spelt "The Traveller" on both front and back of the cover, but "The Traveler" throughout the text; the impress details don't match either, between cover and copy, so it would seem the components came from different sources.

I have come across examples of fiction books (other than Harry Potter) where there seem to be different versions of the actual text between the US and UK, but I can't bring specific examples to mind right now.

I'm guessing Kobo can't really cater for different versions of its books, though, without raising the dread spectre of geo-restrictions on purchases. (This can be a significant issue with Amazon; why haven't I encountered it so far with Kobo? Or is it actually there anyway, lingering silently in the background, deciding which books I can even see?)
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #21
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
It's the accent. American TV doesn't like shows where every one talks funny.
I find the british accent very strange on US tv, they talk like Hugh Grant, not many people talk like that now (for abut 50 years)
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #22
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
I find the british accent very strange on US tv, they talk like Hugh Grant, not many people talk like that now (for abut 50 years)
Even stranger is the American accents on British shows, for exampe Wooster & Jeeves.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #23
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
The same thing tends to happen with TV programmes - US shows will appear as the original in the UK, but the US execs will insist on remaking the UK ones. I'm still trying to work out whether these people are control freaks, or whether they believe their audience too dumb to cope with different versions of the language.
You mean, like David Attenborough's BBC nature documentaries being dubbed, with Attenborough's narration being replaced by Oprah Winfrey?

That boggled my mind when I first encountered it. I guess the people selling these into the US market know what people respond to, but I think of David Attenborough as a Living Treasure, so I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to hear him presenting his own programs.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #24
CaptainCrash
CaptainCrash began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
You mean, like David Attenborough's BBC nature documentaries being dubbed, with Attenborough's narration being replaced by Oprah Winfrey?

That boggled my mind when I first encountered it. I guess the people selling these into the US market know what people respond to, but I think of David Attenborough as a Living Treasure, so I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to hear him presenting his own programs.
Wow, I had no idea they did this. Unbelievable.

IMHO David Attenborough is one of the greatest communicators of our time. His narration can make the life cycle of a sea slug seem like the most spellbinding story you've ever heard, even today, when his diction has become a little less distinct with advancing years.

Does the American audience really find a "standard" (non-regional) English accent that objectionable, or difficult to understand?
CaptainCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #25
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrash View Post
Wow, I had no idea they did this. Unbelievable.

IMHO David Attenborough is one of the greatest communicators of our time. His narration can make the life cycle of a sea slug seem like the most spellbinding story you've ever heard, even today, when his diction has become a little less distinct with advancing years.

Does the American audience really find a "standard" (non-regional) English accent that objectionable, or difficult to understand?
Yup, I've watched some nature docs with a British commentator and then the ones with Oprah... If I had a choice I'd go with the British accent. The guy was so much better. But the American's love Oprah I guess.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #26
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
Shaw once wrote: 'England and America are two countries divided by a common language'. Regardless of the differences in word usage, spelling and editorial styles, US English and British English still share what is essentially a common language.

The divergences between the two are so insignificant that apart from some changes in word usage, a reader in one country would have no problem in understanding a body of text from another. Most major languages have dialects. For a spoken language to be considered a dialect, the differences must be far greater than that between British and US editorial styles.

The US publishers' habit of enforcing spelling and editorial practices of one country on works from another is disingenuous and ought to be recognised as what it is, vandalism. It goes against the intent of the authors and hide from the readers the variety and richness of modern English that such differences in these works represent.
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #27
CNL
CNL began at the beginning.

Device: KT2, libra H2O
I've never heard of that before, that's terrible. Oprah I mean.
In Canada we seem to get a strange mix, but luckily I haven't seen any americanized nature shows.
CNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #28
murg
No Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNL View Post
I've never heard of that before, that's terrible. Oprah I mean.
In Canada we seem to get a strange mix, but luckily I haven't seen any americanized nature shows.
How do you know that those are real Canadian Polar Bears in the doco and not border-jumping American Polar Bears?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #29
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The Real Canadian Bears have Canadian Tire money in their wallets and get their fish from Superstore.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #30
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
And their Double Doubles from Timmies
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote