Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
uieluck
Connoisseur
uieluck began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, kindle, nook
Nook formatting, publisher defaults do weird things to a simple epub

So I've been working on this epub and I've had a lot of success with many devices. And I thought I had 100% clearance with the Nook until our QA person discovered when you turn the 'publisher defaults' off the fonts get a little screwy,,, in completely random places. I've looked at my .opf file and all the fonts seem pretty solid. When I turn the 'publisher defaults' on,, all the style and fonts etc. seem perfect. Does anybody else have this problem? Can somebody suggest what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks, T—
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-10-31-4.png
Views:	480
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	78447   Click image for larger version

Name:	11-10-31-3.png
Views:	510
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	78448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-10-31 at 12.47.19 PM.png
Views:	494
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	78449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-10-31 at 12.46.52 PM.png
Views:	473
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	78450  
uieluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
uieluck
Connoisseur

What!!! Nobody has had this experience? Am I missing something?
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
uieluck
Connoisseur

I would image these errors are attributing to my Nook problems?
OEBPS/Misc/Times-Bold • This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused).
Old 11-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Publisher Defaults off means the nook is generating a user style sheet that does overrides of the body, p and other selectors for fonts, linespacing, margin width and justification, based upon user selection.

This will interact in interesting way depending upon what the style sheet and the xhtml.
I would suggest editing the stylesheet to move moving the font-family attribute to the most general selector possible (body or p if possible), so that it will get overridden cleanly.

Future updates of the Nook Color firmware will 'fix' this by simply ignoring all @font-face rules except for what is specified in the user style, when publisher defaults are off.

Last edited by Jim Lester; 11-02-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity and helpfulness.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
uieluck
Connoisseur

Ok.. But my @font-face (s) are pretty clean, at least I think..

@font-face {
font-family : "Times", serif;
font-style : normal;
font-weight : 500;
src:local("Times.ttf");
}
@font-face {
font-weight : bold;
src : url("../Misc/Times-Bold.ttf");
}
@font-face {
font-style : italic ;
font-weight : 500;
src : url("../Misc/Times-Italic.ttf");
}
@font-face {
font-style : italic ;
font-weight : 5;
src : url("../Misc/Times.ttf");
}
@font-face {
font-weight : 5;
src : url("../Misc/Times.ttf");
}
@page {
margin : 0.5em;
}
tbody, thead, tfoot, tr, td, th {
border-style : inherit;
border-width : inherit;
border-color : inherit;

And for god sakes it's TIMES! I will say this, Sigil has put my fonts in a Misc folder as opposed to the Fonts folder. But I've changed the OPF file to reflect that:

<item href="Misc/Times-Italic" id="Times-Italic" media-type="text/plain" />
<item href="Misc/Times-BoldItalic" id="Times-BoldItalic" media-type="text/plain" />
<item href="Misc/Times-Roman" id="Times-Roman" media-type="text/plain" />
<item href="Misc/Times-Bold" id="Times-Bold" media-type="text/plain" />
<item href="Misc/Times-Roman.dfont" id="Times-Roman.dfont" media-type="text/plain" />
<item href="Misc/Times-Italic.dfont" id="Times-Italic.dfont" media-type="text/plain" />
<item href="Misc/Times-BoldItalic.dfont" id="Times-BoldItalic.dfont" media-type="text/plain" />
<item href="Misc/Times-Bold.dfont" id="Times-Bold.dfont" media-type="text/plain" />
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
It's not your @font-face rules, it's the font-family attribute in subsequent rules in your OPF.

For instance, if you had

body {
font-family: "Times"
}

This would get nicely overridden by the user style sheet to be what the user actually selected.

If however you had

p.myclassid {
font-family: "Times"
}

This isn't currently being overridden by the user style sheet. The result at worse is a ransom note effect with the fonts being a mix of the author (your) selected fonts, and the user selected fonts.

Putting the font-family attribute in the least specific selector (such as p, div, or body) that you can get away will potentially avoid this.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
uieluck
Connoisseur

Thanks for the input.. I'm somewhat confused.
However, I managed to force the text I was having a problem with to stick to a font/style. But it won't adjust in size etc. I checked my OPF file, the fonts seem to be pretty good. Are you suggesting to make these inline styles to override my external css?
Thank you.