Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
jgsmith
Connoisseur
jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW2
File location for eBooks

The Sony Reader Library seems to store any books purchased from the Sony Store in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Books\Reader Library. However, if you choose to import a book from elsewhere on your computer, either because you already own it or downloaded it from another site, and then you import it to your library, the Reader Library does not create a copy of the book, but rather just creates a pointer to the current location. This results in your having books scattered all over your hard drive, even though in Reader Library they appear to be all in one place. If you later move the book to a different directory, Reader Library will not be able to find it. I would prefer to store my books in one location to ensure I don't accidentally delete or move one, but I don't see an option to specify a different default directory. Does anyone know if this can be changed?

Jim
jgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
wifish
SONY FAN
wifish began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
you can add some collections on Sony Reader Library,and sync the collections in PRS.
and it this your meanings?
wifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm not sure if this can be done with the Sony software but Calibre stores all books in one file after they have been added to Calibre. This will allow you to delete the books in the multiple files because Calibre will go it's own file every time after if ever need to reload your books to your Reader.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Once again with the "one file"... calibre stores its books in a standard folder/file structure and has done for some time... it is on version 0.6.30 now and changed to a more sensible structure many versions ago.

The useful thing is being to able to tell calibre where you want it to put the books... plus, of course, all its other excellent features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaAnn View Post
I'm not sure if this can be done with the Sony software but Calibre stores all books in one file after they have been added to Calibre. This will allow you to delete the books in the multiple files because Calibre will go it's own file every time after if ever need to reload your books to your Reader.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
jgsmith
Connoisseur
jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW2
Thanks for the replies. I have Calibre installed...i guess its time to start playing with it.

Jim
jgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsmith View Post
The Sony Reader Library seems to store any books purchased from the Sony Store in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Books\Reader Library. However, if you choose to import a book from elsewhere on your computer, either because you already own it or downloaded it from another site, and then you import it to your library, the Reader Library does not create a copy of the book, but rather just creates a pointer to the current location. This results in your having books scattered all over your hard drive, even though in Reader Library they appear to be all in one place. If you later move the book to a different directory, Reader Library will not be able to find it. I would prefer to store my books in one location to ensure I don't accidentally delete or move one, but I don't see an option to specify a different default directory. Does anyone know if this can be changed?

Jim
Why not just use Windows Explorer to move your eBooks to where you want before adding them to Reader library's library? Then you won't have the problem you are talking about.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote