Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool 6.2 vs. 7.3

I just installed 7.3 on my alternate PC. I currently am using 6.2 on my regular PC (both are windows). Every ePub I try and open with 7.3 (this does not happen with 6.2) generates an error about HTML files that are 'not well formed' and wants to fix the files. Since I've had no issues with any of these files I'm very reluctant to allow the fix and also very very reluctant to install 7.3 on my regular PC for daily use!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Before (6.2) it automatically went ahead and fixed them anyway. Now it doesn't make changes unless you allow it to. The files were still problem children in both cases, now you just know about it.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Before (6.2) it automatically went ahead and fixed them anyway. Now it doesn't make changes unless you allow it to. The files were still problem children in both cases, now you just know about it.
Thanks, but if you open a file with 6.2 then close it, there is no change. But if you open the same file with 7.3 and tell it not to make the changes and then close it It asks if you want to save the changes. This doesn't make sense when you already told it not to make any changes. I don't understand what the logic of all this is?!!

Last edited by alansplace; 10-02-2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: oops...
Old 10-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Alan
It does this with fresh Calibre coverts also.
I don't know what it is finding, probably, nit-pick'n minor : i not dotted

But once EPUB saved, does not show again.

Many features of 7.3 make the little annoyance worth it
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
In Preferences, turn off "Automatically clean and format..."

You'd need a MUCH better reason to stick with 6.2. And I can't think of one.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post

Thanks. I'll give that a try!

Old 10-16-2013, 02:32 AM   #7
RodneyK
RodneyK began at the beginning.

Updated to 7.3 from 5.3 yesterday. Also downloaded the Sigil 7.2 manual which was not available way back then (I think).
The reason I did this was because of cover issues with free books which bedeviled me with ver.5.3
And 7.3 has this issue covered (pun intended) in spades.
I can say 'WOW, what a difference an upgrade makes!'.
RodneyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyK View Post
Updated to 7.3 from 5.3 yesterday. Also downloaded the Sigil 7.2 manual which was not available way back then (I think).
The reason I did this was because of cover issues with free books which bedeviled me with ver.5.3
And 7.3 has this issue covered (pun intended) in spades.
I can say 'WOW, what a difference an upgrade makes!'.
There was a reason the Contributors put all that time and effort in

To seriously improve the experience
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
I Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post

6.2 works perfectly in Ubuntu 64 bit. I haven't been able to find a way to install version 7.3 on the same system, and all online guidance on this is fraught with controversy and failed attempts. I'm afraid to try it when I have something (6.2) that seems to work.
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron46 View Post
6.2 works perfectly in Ubuntu 64 bit. I haven't been able to find a way to install version 7.3 on the same system, and all online guidance on this is fraught with controversy and failed attempts. I'm afraid to try it when I have something (6.2) that seems to work.
Well, what's the worst that can happen? It doesn't work and you have to re-install 6.2.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If you look on the forums, Diapdealer has made available versions he has compiled.

There are substantial differences that make the switch worthwhile.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Comitted to it

I finally committed to 7.3 and have not been sorry!

Old 10-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
boatat72
boatat72 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Sony Reader, iPad, Kobo, Nook
The 'HTML not well formed' problem occurred with an earlier version (6.1) and was fixed in 6.2. The change from 7.2 to 7.3 brought it back again. Last time it also broke the DOCTYPE declaration on conversion by Calibre, but not this time.
It has to do with the non-breaking space entity [ ] This gets converted to a normal (white)space and then converted back to nbsp by Calibre. Sigil does not like Calibre's version of nbsp. I cannot see any difference between Sigil nbsp and Calibre nbsp, but there seems to be one.
If you hit 'fix manually' you can see this when you try and use 'book view'. If this is the only problem you can let Sigil 'fix automatically' and it works.
I am sticking with 7.2 just in case.
boatat72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I cannot see any difference between Sigil nbsp and Calibre nbsp,
There is no difference.
The problem is nbsp characters, vs entities (named, or decimal, or hex)

Because of Qt5 behavior (bug/whatever) or Tidy, the non-breaking space character needs to be converted to something else in order to preserve it. Otherwise Qt will change it into a normal space character--which defeats the purpose of a non-breaking space character (especially consecutive ones, since html doesn't recognize consecutive spaces).

So the current version of Sigil changes the non-breaking space character into an nbsp; named entity. Which is fine as long as there's already a DOCTYPE/DTD declaration that allows for named entities (beyond the handful inherently recognized by xml) in the document. But alas ... many don't have the doctype declaration, so when the characters get changed to entities, the document is then technically no longer valid xhtml. So Sigil barks at it.

If the original documents have nbsp; named entities and no DOCTYPE/DTD, Sigil barks at it (as it should... that's not valid xhtml).

As far as calibre goes, it seems to be currently creating markup with non-breaking space characters and no DOCTYPE declaration. Which is perfectly fine and valid and whatnot. That's fair. It's just unfortunate that, that happens to be the exact bugaboo that's tripping up the current version of Sigil upon opening.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-17-2013 at 04:47 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:51 AM   #15
boatat72
boatat72 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Sony Reader, iPad, Kobo, Nook
@DiapDealer
Thank you, I think I finally understand what is going on.
  is not supposed to work in xml, yet it does.
Using & # 160; (no spaces) instead is allowed, but Tidy changes them to  
Calibre removes the DOCTYPE/DTD from any files with  
With Sigil 7.2 and a Calibre conversion all   disappear.
With Sigil 7.3   remain, but the DOCTYPE/DTD is removed by Calibre,
7.3 will put the DOCTYPE/DTD back without removing   if you allow 'fix automatically' when you open the converted file.
Have I got this right at last?

Last edited by boatat72; 10-18-2013 at 03:53 AM. Reason: the 160 entity shows as *
boatat72 is offline   Reply With Quote