Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
PDF Author display on Kindle

This is really a Kindle issue, but I'm looking for some PDF expertise to try to understand it better before taking it up with Amazon.

I have a few PDF's that display 'Author' in Kindle's item list (Apple developer documentation). I assumed it was coming from PDF metadata, but when I change the Author in there, it doesn't change the Author string that Kindle displays.

Nor have I figured out how to create a new PDF that will display an Author in Kindle's item list.

So where is Kindle getting this Author string from? And why doesn't it get it from the PDF metadata?

I have Acrobat, but wherever this string is, I haven't been able to find it so far.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
If you changed the metadata, you need to restart your Kindle, this refreshes the "library"

Also, Kindle seems to have a problem with metadata in some PDF files. It helps to resave the PDF with other compatibility settings. If you have Adobe Acrobat, you can do this by going into the (translated from my German version) Extended/Advanced menu -> PDF Optimization -> set it to compatibility with Acrobat 5.0 and higher. Don't forget to deselect everything else you see in the window, like picture and font settings, as they could decrease the quality. Then save the PDF. After a Kindle restart, the metadata should be correct.

Note that Kindle (don't know about Kindle 3 yet, but 2 and DX act like this) don't show the metadata-title, but the filename instead. Kindle does read the metadata (as it puts the title on the Info Page of the file) but only displays the filename in your booklist.
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote