Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 11:13 PM   #16
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Great review! Hit all the areas that a multifunction device user needs info on. Sounds like a good device but not enough better than the Q7 to tempt!

Now, that A81 does send a shiver through my wallet though...
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #17
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
Coldsun,

Have you tried using another memory card other than the 2gb that comes with the device? I need more space and have tried 3 different 4gb cards and the JE100 doesn't recognize the card.

Ellen
Ellen,

This 2GB MicroSD is the only MicroSD I have right now. I'm going to look around for another one, but I think Rana is correct. This device may not support SDHC.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 03:41 AM   #18
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
5. I didn't see any firmware updates on the JoinTech page, so I'm guessing this is the latest. It worked perfectly with ActiveSync out of the box, although there are USB drivers in that eBook Documents link I put in the review (Supplemental Links). I didn't have to use the drivers for some reason. I'm guessing it is because it uses the same driver as the SmartQ7 and I had that already installed?
I did have to use the USB driver, so it may be your SmartQ... And the firmware that is loaded now, is the new one. The previous one (the one that was on my device) had some very serious flaws (like not saving settings so every time you hard-booted, everything was reset...) and not supporting ActiveSync at all... Glad they fixed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana View Post
3. Does the JE100 support brightness control ? Assuming it does - approx how many levels does it support (may be as compared to the SQ7) ? I do most of my reading in dark, hence being able to set the brightness very low is quite important for me.
I read my JE100 primarily in the dark. And I've turned the brightness all the way down. That way, I find it a perfect brightness to read in a dark bedroom. It's darker than my Loox720 PDA.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #19
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by rana View Post
Ellen - I have a suspicion that the JE100 does NOT support SDHC cards. I believe most 4GB cards are SDHC although I have seen (very rarely) 4GB cards that are standard SD. I have one of those 4GB SD cards, but unfortunately it is not MicroSD.

If you can find a 4GB nonSDHC card, try that.

UPDATE:
Here are two places that seem to be selling 4GB MicroSD cards (not MicroSDHC -- at least from the picture)

$14.95 + free shipping: http://www.meritline.com/lexar-4gb-m...--p-39164.aspx

$12.99 + shipping: http://www.supermediastore.com/categ...apacity%3D4GB|

Rana,

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought about the SDHC thing. I will order a non-SDHC one from Meritline. I have ordered from them before and I have had great experiences.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #20
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was just over at Eletroworld and they too are now selling the JE100. Their price is 199.99. But then again it would be a longer shipping time as well as expensive shipping.

Ellen

update: shipping fee to USA $30
by EMS express
paypal will add 4.9% bank fee

Last edited by imaredr; 10-27-2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: update information
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #21
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I did have to use the USB driver, so it may be your SmartQ... And the firmware that is loaded now, is the new one. The previous one (the one that was on my device) had some very serious flaws (like not saving settings so every time you hard-booted, everything was reset...) and not supporting ActiveSync at all... Glad they fixed it!

I read my JE100 primarily in the dark. And I've turned the brightness all the way down. That way, I find it a perfect brightness to read in a dark bedroom. It's darker than my Loox720 PDA.
The device worked with ActiveSynch without a hitch the first time. I'm sure my SmartQ7 driver on the PC was helpful. Like I said, there is a driver in that eBook.rar file in the supplemental links for folks who need it. Do you have a link to the firmware page, Sweetpea? I would love to add that to the supplemental links.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #22
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
It does not appear on the web site you linked to. Anyone know where to purchase this in the US?
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:31 PM   #23
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
CyGuy - The guy who owns the store ColdSun mentioned, is running a few ebay auctions for the JE100. You may want to contact him directly.

I am not sure if he has any in stock right now, but he will likely do a bulk order if there is enough interest. I will contact him and see if he would like to directly post here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250516552528
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #24
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
NB. The max capacity of an Std SD card is 2GB, so if this device supports 4GB cards then it must be SDHC capable.
Rather than bin/not use cards that initially appear not to work on a device give this prog a try as it is specifically written for formatting SD/SDHC cards. It made one of my non compatible (with Linux on my Q7) SDHC cards work again after several failed attempts using the Std Windows formatter. http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

Last edited by Nation.A.List; 10-27-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #25
imaredr
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
NB. The max capacity of an Std SD card is 2GB, so if this device supports 4GB cards then it must be SDHC capable.
Rather than bin/not use cards that initially appear not to work on a device give this prog a try as it is specifically written for formatting SD/SDHC cards. It made one of my non compatible (with Linux on my Q7) SDHC cards work again after several failed attempts using the Std Windows formatter. http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html
Nation,

Thanks. The link you list didn't work. I googled the infor and I thinkI may have found the app you are talking about.

Ellen
Old 10-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #26
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
Nation,

Thanks. The link you list didn't work. I googled the infor and I thinkI may have found the app you are talking about.

Ellen
Thanks for the heads up, I have edited the link
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #27
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
There are 4gb SD cards that are non-SDHC that work in most non-HC devices. Here is one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820163159

There are lots of reviews on that page. Most people found the 4GB card worked, even in older devices.

But as you can see it's not cheap.

Last edited by CyGuy; 10-27-2009 at 05:28 PM.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #28
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
Yes, there are 4GB SD cards that are NOT SDHC. I have one of those. I think 4GB is the max size though ... and that too, those are rare. If you go any higher in size, it has to be SDHC.

Anyway, CyGuy (and others), Meritline has - what looks like - a Lexar MicroSD 4GB card that is not SDHC. I have ordered one of these last night (and looks like Ellen ordered one as well). So we will be able to confirm soon.

See the link in my post above.

UPDATE:
Here is the obligatory Wikipedia reference that confirms that 4GB is the only size where SD and SDHC cards overlap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

Last edited by rana; 10-27-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added link to Wikipedia post
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:20 AM   #29
AlanMc
Enthusiast
AlanMc began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ7
Hi ColdSun,

What about the weight of JE100? I see it is 900g in the eletroworld website, but you mention is only 250g.
AlanMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #30
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
The device worked with ActiveSynch without a hitch the first time. I'm sure my SmartQ7 driver on the PC was helpful. Like I said, there is a driver in that eBook.rar file in the supplemental links for folks who need it. Do you have a link to the firmware page, Sweetpea? I would love to add that to the supplemental links.
Well, I got my version about 1 week after it was officially released... And I got a MicroSD by post with the new firmware on it. And I forgot to make a backup of the original firmware The firmware I got on that card was ActiveSync enabled, the option in the windows start menu to go back to the original OS is new, the fact that your entire memory isn't wiped by a reboot is new and the original OS got an overhaul. Oh, and the wifi support is new.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote