Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
duckbill
Enthusiast
duckbill began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Bricked

I have now succeeded in bricking my beloved PRS-505. I was using PRSCustomizer to update my firmware from 1.1 to 1.2 and it stopped during the process. It now displays: Firmware update did not complete successfully. Please try again

It does not respond to a hardware reset. It is not recognised by my PC via USB and subsequently cannot be updated with the Sony tool.

Help is much appreciated.

Duckbill

Solved the problem. It seems that the hard reset button on the back of the PRS-505 needs to be pressed very firmly and more than ten times

Gosh, that was a very scary few hours without my reader!

Last edited by duckbill; 03-30-2010 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Problem solved
duckbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
That happened to me when I first got my 505. I had to do the hard reset about 12 times in a row before it cleared up.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Try resetting it while connected to the PC - if that doesn't work, reset it 10+ times, and it should automatically enter firmware reset mode. You have to reset it each time right after the startup screen shows up.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
duckbill
Enthusiast

I have tried everything, but to no avail. It just continues to show this unfamiliar screen with the aforementioned message.

HELP...
Old 03-30-2010, 04:44 AM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbill View Post
Solved the problem. It seems that the hard reset button on the back of the PRS-505 needs to be pressed very firmly and more than ten times

Gosh, that was a very scary few hours without my reader!
Congratulations, duckbill. I'm glad you were able to solve your problem.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
duckbill
Enthusiast

I've done it again. "Firmware update did not complete successfully. Please try again". I was using PRSCustomizer to change the firmware and received the above message. However, I am having no success in resetting the device.

OK This is how I finally managed to unbrich the device: press reset on back for min 10 secs and the press enter button

Last edited by duckbill; 05-06-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Problem solved