Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2018, 06:36 AM   #1
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Kindle app on Android now can use SD card

The latest update to the Kindle app on Android can now use SD card storage for downloads. When I enabled this, it also offered to transfer existing books to the SD card.

Good news for those who are running out of space on their phone or tablet main storage.

The article below shows screen shots of the new settings page. I've confirmed the new settings are active on my phone.
https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/1...-your-sd-card/
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:07 PM   #2
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1

Thanks so much! Just got rid of Kindle for Samsung and as pleased as punch!
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2018, 12:33 AM   #3
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Thank you, I just bought a new Android tablet. Now if I could just figure out how to sideload my books... I'm not sure of what formats are acceptable and where I need to put them on the SD card so the Kindle app can see them. Actually, I don't even know where to put them in main memory if the SD card won't work with sideloaded books.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:24 AM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Thank you, I just bought a new Android tablet. Now if I could just figure out how to sideload my books... I'm not sure of what formats are acceptable and where I need to put them on the SD card so the Kindle app can see them. Actually, I don't even know where to put them in main memory if the SD card won't work with sideloaded books.
Sideloading to the SD card does NOT work, I just tried copying sideloaded books from internal to SD card without luck. The directory on the main storage is creatively named "kindle" and allows .mobi and .azw3 files that I can confirm as working.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:36 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Sideloading to the SD card does NOT work, I just tried copying sideloaded books from internal to SD card without luck. The directory on the main storage is creatively named "kindle" and allows .mobi and .azw3 files that I can confirm as working.
Correction. Sideloading does work on SD card, but in different folders. On the internal storage it can be in "internal/kindle/" or "internal/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/". On the SD card the "sd/kindle/" does not work. The other one has a seperate subfolder. You would need to put a book from cloud onto the sd card, then the folder for your books can be found under: "sd/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/". The name depends on your device. Mine is "amzn1.account.longcrypticstuff" (except the bold part is an alphanumeric traffic accident). To sideload place .mobi or .azw3 into "sd/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/amzn1.account.longcrypticstuff/" and it works. While the books downloaded through the app are each in subfolders, the sideloaded ones do not work in subfolders. There is possibly other file formats that can be sideloaded, but I am not willing to experiment.

The reason for the cryptic folder name is probably for DRM reasons - to be able to share a SD card, but keeping the books separate.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Using the 'send to Kindle' email address seems to work out better than sideloading for me. That puts the book in the cloud so I can download it to any of my devices.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:14 PM   #7
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Correction. Sideloading does work on SD card, but in different folders. On the internal storage it can be in "internal/kindle/" or "internal/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/". On the SD card the "sd/kindle/" does not work. The other one has a seperate subfolder. You would need to put a book from cloud onto the sd card, then the folder for your books can be found under: "sd/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/". The name depends on your device. Mine is "amzn1.account.longcrypticstuff" (except the bold part is an alphanumeric traffic accident). To sideload place .mobi or .azw3 into "sd/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/amzn1.account.longcrypticstuff/" and it works. While the books downloaded through the app are each in subfolders, the sideloaded ones do not work in subfolders. There is possibly other file formats that can be sideloaded, but I am not willing to experiment.

The reason for the cryptic folder name is probably for DRM reasons - to be able to share a SD card, but keeping the books separate.

That worked perfectly!
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote