Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 01-17-2005, 04:38 PM   #1
dmorgen
dmorgen began at the beginning.

Device: Palm M505
NY Times - How Remove Garbage?

I just started using Sunrise. Overall I really like it, especially now that I've gotten logins to work! But one problem remains ... I'm getting a huge amount of "junk" on each page from such sites as NYTimes Sports & NYPost Sports. By "junk" I means links & text not related to sports articles. Also, it would be great to get the formatted for printing version of each article.

I've tried Showcase.sdl for NYTimes. But this uses the RSS feed, which contains very few articles. I've tried the provided .XSL for NYTimes ... but it not only deletes the junk, it also deletes all useful info!

I just remembered ... I forgot to try the NYTIMES-FEEDS.JS file, which I noticed is used in Showcase. So, I'll give that a try. The printing version would get rid of most, but not all, the junk. And I still have the problem with NYPost. I just looked & it uses PHP to get the printing version, so at the very least, modifying the URL will be more difficult; does anybody know if the same technique will work with PHP?

One other thing ... I've looked around, but so far have not found a Windows app to display Plucker files, or at least to convert a Plucker .PDB to a viewable format; that would make testing this stuff a lot easier than doing a hotsync every time.

Thanks!

Dave
Old 01-19-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
dmorgen

An update ... I tried NYTIMES-FEEDS.JS. It needed some editing since the URL required for printer-friendly is slightly different than it assumed. Then it essentially solved the problem for individual articles. However, the problem remains for the page containing links to the articles (e.g. Pro Football); I haven't been able to find any way to get a printer-friendly version of this page ... and there's a tremendous amount of junk preceding the useful links.

Dave
Advert
Old 01-19-2005, 08:55 AM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Attached is an old, unmaintained SDL with links to the NY Times text edition. It will not work with every section, though. (I think at least one or two don't work.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip nytimes-text.zip (1.4 KB, 641 views)
Old 02-05-2005, 11:19 AM   #4
dmorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Attached is an old, unmaintained SDL with links to the NY Times text edition. It will not work with every section, though. (I think at least one or two don't work.)
Thanks for the file. I never got to use it though ... ever since starting to use Sunrise & Plucker my Palm M505 became VERY unstable. I had crashes running apps that had always worked (including during BackupBuddy part of hotsync), problems accessing cards, corrupted files on cards, etc. At first I thought the Palm had card reader/writer problems, even though that wouldn't explain all the symptoms. Nothing I did solved the problems ... until I disabled the Sunrise conduit & stopped using Plucker. I'm not sure where the problem was, but I haven't used either of these apps since. Too bad, because I really liked Sunrise!

Anybody have any ideas what I can do so I can use Sunrise again, without problems?

Thanks!

Dave
Old 09-15-2005, 08:26 PM   #5
37lIUx7Yx4Y
jPlucker
37lIUx7Yx4Y began at the beginning.

Device: pilot 1000 , IIIxe , tapwave zodiac , Nokia 770
Lightbulb WORK-AROUND ?

try using the SD then drag+drop .PDBs to "PalmOne Quick Install"

with Plucker + JPluck,

one could not use both conduits

so probably :

Sunrise/Plucker/JPluck

pick only one conduit
Advert
Old 09-20-2005, 08:45 AM   #6
halr9000
halr9000 began at the beginning.

Device: Sprint/Audiovox PPC-6700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorgen
One other thing ... I've looked around, but so far have not found a Windows app to display Plucker files, or at least to convert a Plucker .PDB to a viewable format; that would make testing this stuff a lot easier than doing a hotsync every time.
Well I thought I had the answer, double-checked and found that the viewer on the plkr website just referred to the palm OS viewer. Some searching found reference to a GTK version that could run on Windows, but I didn't find any recent info on that, nor a binary available for download. I /know/ I've done this before!

You could try running the Plucker Viewer on POSE

:s

Last edited by halr9000; 09-20-2005 at 08:54 AM. Reason: correction
Old 09-20-2005, 05:12 PM   #7
tin_omen
tin_omen began at the beginning.

Device: iPAQ 2215
Here's Bill Nalen's plucker viewers you were looking for.

I've correpsonded with Bill off and on and he sent me both his GTK+ and wx-based plucker viewers for win32 roughly 6mos ago. He said neither is very stable or complete, and he's abandoned development of both.

I've never gotten around to using the the GTK+ version, but use the wx-based all the time for evaluating sunrise filter changes etc. on my desktop.

Here's the links to binaries:
http://desktopian.org/addons/Setup-P...+%20Viewer.exe
http://desktopian.org/addons/Setup-w...s%20Viewer.exe