Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
squiresque
Enthusiast
squiresque began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars, Alita
Kobo Forma Orientation Sticking Upside Down

Kobo Forma, updated firmware 11/3, auto-rotate, sleep cover.

Occasionally the pdf I am reading will be upside down after closing the sleep cover, putting the Forma down, and picking the Forma up again to continue reading.

Although in auto-rotate mode, the orientation does not correct itself to be right side up, and only becomes correctly oriented after an extraordinary amount of what seems to be random waving and rotating motions that would be potentially highly embarrassing if performed in public.

Locking the pdf in portrait mode is not a fix.
squiresque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I experienced that on wake-up with normal KEBPUBs also.

I didn't have a sleep cover, but occasionally the book would wake up and be in landscape mode even though I was holding it in portrait mode. After waving it around, it was like the sensor would wake up and start responding.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2018, 11:01 PM   #3
squiresque
Enthusiast

orientation sensor issue

I confirmed that 5 minutes of patient waiting for the orientation sensor to wake up and make a correction to the orientation was insufficient.

On the other hand, I've been able to get the orientation to correct by just vigorously shaking it without having to act as if I am using it to ward off a swarm of black flies by waving it around and uttering expletives.

This is an intermittent anomaly.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:34 AM   #4
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
There is obviously an issue with the sensor. I decided to lock it in portrait mode in order not to have to shake it (I read kepubs and have the official sleepcover). It wakes usually upside down, I don't know why, but still better than in landscape mode.
My Oasis 2 doesn't have problems like this, I don't know why is it a problem on Forma.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Hmm I’m curious, does the waking up upside down also happen if you close the sleep cover before you put the Forma down/move the device away from normal reading position when you’ve finished reading? I would expect the Forma to wake up to the last orientation... maybe it thinks it’s doing that if it doesn’t fall asleep until after/during the top is tipped down/away from you towards the surface or place you leave it to sleep... it might just register an “I’ve got to rotate now” before falling asleep and wake up in the rotated direction...?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2018, 04:54 AM   #6
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Hmm I’m curious, does the waking up upside down also happen if you close the sleep cover before you put the Forma down/move the device away from normal reading position when you’ve finished reading?
Yes it does.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #7
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I've found the easiest way to restore normal operation when it happens is to turn the kobo around to the direction the display started, wait a brief time, (no more than 2 seconds, the same it would normally take for the orientation to change), then turn it back the way you want.

Annoying to be certain, but no need to shake and dance.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I've found the easiest way to restore normal operation when it happens is to turn the kobo around to the direction the display started, wait a brief time, (no more than 2 seconds, the same it would normally take for the orientation to change), then turn it back the way you want.

Annoying to be certain, but no need to shake and dance.
I’d go further and suspect shaking just delays the change in orientation.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #9
squiresque
Enthusiast

orientation correction, with less effort

I ultimately settled on some minor tilting that, with some delay, was sufficient to correct the orientation.

Regrettably, I returned my Forma due to pdf reader freezing issues, the wedge side lighting anomaly, and the lack of a useful or consistent company response to those issues. When functioning and with respect to text not residing within the defectively illuminated regions (mostly landscape mode), the Forma was a much preferable experience to my Kindle Oasis 2.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Sounds like the Forma twist is the latest dance craze.

Sweeping the nation!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote