Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-14-2008, 04:01 AM   #1
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Solar liseuse charger (or: "Enjoyable descent into unutterable silliness.")

Over in the
TB
storage for mobile devices
thread we brushed across the idea of a small solar power system to recharge a liseuse. So I wandered around ebay for a while and ordered one of these
wee gadgets
from APlumDeal. It's not the smallest one or the
cheapest one but it did seem like one of the better ones. There's a huge
pile of them and they're all cheap trash, but this one looked better
designed and had slightly better panels on it (according to the specs
anyway).

It took a few days for delivery and now I've tested it a little. The
built-in battery is not big enough to recharge my phone and liseuse completely, it's more there as an emergency backup I think. It charges in under an hour in direct sunlight. Once charged, leaving the device in the sun and plugging in my Sony 505 brings that up from 2 bars showing to fully charged in about an hour (it was charged when I came back an hour later).

Overall I'm quite happy with it - it does what I need, works well and looks as though it should last a long time. It comes with adapters for a variety of phones and charges my Nokia quite happily, and has a USB-out so you can charge just about anything that way. USB voltage is high enough to charge the Sony.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Over in the
TB
storage for mobile devices
thread we brushed across the idea of a small solar power system to recharge a liseuse.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "liseuse"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
A "liseuse" is what a bunch of people here have decided to call an ebook reader.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
It was an unused word that meant Book protector.
I had one of leather that had an inside divider meant for notes, a pen and book markers.
The word had other definitions also, such as: Book table, comfort clothes used when reading, reading lamp and a small knife such as a letter opener used in the past for recutting pages apart.

In French there was no word for ebook reader. The term used was 'lecteur électronique' (electronic reader) which was too generic and could mean too many things. I was against using 'liseuse' because it implied an other meaning for an already overused word. But after thought, maybe this word being used for this new application will open up French culture to ebooks, something that was long overdue. After all the French are noted for delaying novelty that does not come from them, this word might do the trick.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:03 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I see . Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I've added a wiki page: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Liseuse
Old 03-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
How is it pronounced?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
moz
Addict

In English, roughly liz-ooze if you want to sound French, or some approximation if you don't. Lis-oose, for instance, or lis-ewwwse if you must
Old 03-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Please, give it up. An e-book reader is <drumroll> an e-book reader, or quite simply "reader", which makes perfect sense in context.

The very fact that quite knowledgeable folks in the e-book "movement" have no idea what you're talking about when you say "liseuse" argues quite strongly against its use.

You're the only one I see use it, and it seems to always provoke a puzzled response. You have to ask yourself then if it is improving communication or hindering it.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 03-18-2008 at 02:33 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
So what's the harm if moz wants to call them liseuses? A little confusion can be a good thing - entertaining even. And by the time you've repeated your call for him to stop, everyone will know it and you will have helped to start a trend. Cool! But I'll still call them Vera.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #11
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey, if the goal is confusion, entertainment, and irritation, all of which I heartily support in certain contexts, feel free to use any made-up, nonsense term you like.

If the goal is to further the mainstream acceptance of e-book readers, or to participate in conversations with others interested in e-book readers, then using terms that no one else uses and very few people even understand, is counterproductive.

Plus it sounds silly.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I call my car "Vivian."
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
How is it pronounced?
Leez-urz urz as in furs without the R as someone from asia would classically pronounce or a snobbish UK dweller. The 'eu' is the toughest thing for an anglophone to pronounce because the phonem does not exist in the language. What I gave is an approximation.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 03-17-2008 at 05:17 PM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Leez-urz urz as in furs without the R as someone from asia would classically pronounce or a snobbish UK dweller. The 'eu' is the toughest thing for an anglophone to pronounce because the phonem does not exist in the language. What I gave is an approximation.
heh, i see moz will not be discouraged so easily... i'm quite impressed, i've seen liseuse used in more than one french blog (franco-français, not québécois, which might be why yvan was not familiar with this use of it ; i do think that in french at least it is actually an accepted name, if not the only one) but i never expected anyone to transfer it into english.

to addresse the pronunciation, i think you could also say that the "eu" sound is the same as the "e" in "her". it doesn't seem like it should be so difficult for english speakers to pronounce, once they understand ; the "eu" together might not exist in english, but the *sound* does (her, fur, etc.). i think the "ouille" sound is supposed to be much harder for anglophones ; i can't think of any english word with that sound, yvan can you ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:37 PM   #15
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Yes, let's wholeheartedly agree to adopt unrecognizable, unpronounceable (to most) terms to replace recognizable, understandable terms already in use. I've worked as a programmer under the direction of public company committees. I'm quite used to the idea of forcing ridiculous solutions to non-existent problems on people.

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, emotifaction, emotifactor, mozzle, mozzle of mozzle, natch's spleen, taylor514ce, unutterable silliness