Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #2701
jorgemtrevino
jorgemtrevino began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy SII
Sorry, septuagenarian here

Dave et al,

I'm sorry, didn't get the "serial jailbreak" meaning. Google and this forum rescued me:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=294718

I don't think my wishes for a personalized screensaver and EPUB handling warrant messing with the motherboard or whatever the tweak involves.

Thanks in earnest for the help!

Jorge 71yo, Uruapan, Michoacán, México)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgemtrevino View Post
Dave,
Care to elaborate on <<serial jailbreak>>?
Also, please, can I downgrade the firmware if I download it from Amazon or elsewhere? I downloaded update_kindle_5.3.5.bin. If I apply it will it work or do I risk bricking my Kindle?
TIA,
Jorge.

PS, main reason for wanting to JB my Kindle would be adding capability to read .EPUB directly, without needing to go the Calibre way, tho there's nothing wrong with that. I've been using it since I got my 1st Kindle 3 for Xmas more than a decade ago.
jorgemtrevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #2702
libraryaddict115
libraryaddict115 began at the beginning.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Okay, as promised earlier, here's an early winter break present .

If you've just successfully ran Branch Delay's 5.6.5 JailBreak or Branch Delay's Factory JailBreak (after a factory downgrade), this is your next step .
Alternatively, if you happened to be running a live, but outdated version of this JailBreak when you got a >= 5.6.x update, this package should get you back on track.

Download the attached zip file, and unpack it.
Copy the Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin file to the root directory of your Kindle.

Now, eject & unplug your Kindle, and go to [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. If the update is successful, you're golden. If it fails, it probably means you weren't properly jailbroken before the update, in which case, you're still screwed.

----

If you're coming straight from the 5.6.5 JB or the Factory Downgrade threads and you completely skipped the first post of *this* thread, be aware that on FW >= 5.5.x (i.e., you), using MRPI is REQUIRED to install every other custom packages!
After delaying it for a year I was finally looking into getting a custom font due to some book rendering issues. Then found out my version can't be jailbroken.

I'm stubborn and remembered it was jailbroken before, so I tried this. It worked!
libraryaddict115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #2703
ripkindlepw
ripkindlepw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st gen
Is there any way to mount a kindle with an unresponsive touchscreen stuck at the passcode screen?

PW1 wifi 5.3.9, Jailbroken.

I think I installed a faulty font or something and it started locking up, so I restrted the device and now it's stuck. It's been connected to an external power supply ofr the last 4 days and there are no signs of progress yet.
ripkindlepw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #2704
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ripkindlepw: IIRC, passcode handling is pernicious enough to massively inhibit USBMS exports. Enough so that I *think* this made it into the docs as a "DO NOT unless you want to shoot yourself in the foot".

If that still holds true and you don't have USBNet enabled at boot, nor the RescuePack + CRP, that's... problematic.

There might possibly a way to force a factory reset, but without touch input *nor* USBMS/USBNet, I don't really see how OTOH...

That said, if the softlock/deadlock is reproducible even after a hard-reboot, that's highly suspicious, unless the passcode screen is hiding what's really happening behind the scenes...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-05-2018 at 01:11 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #2705
ripkindlepw

Quote:
If that still holds true and you don't have USBNet enabled at boot, nor the RescuePack + CRP, that's... problematic.

There might possibly a way to force a factory reset, but without touch input *nor* USBMS/USBNet, I don't really see how OTOH...
I'm not sure, but I think I installed RescuePack. I never installed USBNet, though.

I don't there's a way to force a factory reset without a DO_FACTORY_RESET file in root. Will a serial connection somehow mitigate this issue and allow me to mount the storage device?

Quote:
That said, if the softlock/deadlock is reproducible even after a hard-reboot, that's highly suspicious, unless the passcode screen is hiding what's really happening behind the scenes...
It is reproducible after a reboot, but the screen is fine. See my post history for the complete shebang.
Advert
Old 09-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #2706
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ripkindlepw: Yeah, RP alone won't help you in those circumstances, it's the CRP that would have .

You could definitely & easily wipe the passcode from the recovery partition, and/or having a shell on main would definitely help move things along, so, yeah, serial should help, provided it's not an unrelated coincidence and the thing is actually truly dead .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-05-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #2707
ripkindlepw

Quote:
@ripkindlepw: Yeah, RP alone won't help you in those circumstances, it's the CRP that would have .

You could definitely & easily wipe the passcode from the recovery partition, and/or having a shell on main would definitely help move things along, so, yeah, serial should help, provided it's not an unrelated coincidence and the thing is actually truly dead .
Thanks, NiLuJe! I'll try connecting it with a serial connection.

I just tried a small test. The screen turns off after 10 minutes at the passcode window, so I touched the screen at multiple points a couple of minutes after starting it. It still turned off ten minutes after the initial power button start instead of turning off ten minutes after the last touch input. Maybe the screen's broken. If it is, it would be a very unfortunate coincidence.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:46 AM   #2708
TazX
TazX began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
My kindle's firmware is 5.4.5.1 - any chance that this jailbreak will work?

EDIT: My Serial Number begins with 9017. I'll give it a go.

Last edited by TazX; 10-01-2018 at 02:48 AM.
TazX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:42 AM   #2709
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TazX View Post
My kindle's firmware is 5.4.5.1 - any chance that this jailbreak will work?
Try it and report back.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #2710
audioman42
audioman42 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I'm on 5.4.4.2 and attempting to install new fonts, but nothing seems to be working. Are new fonts possible with 5.4.4.2, or do I need to downgrade to an older version first?

Thanks!
audioman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #2711
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@audioman42: Details, please.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #2712
audioman42
audioman42 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
@audioman42: Details, please.
My Kindle Paperwhite is currently jailbroken on firmware version 5.4.4.2. I recently bought my wife a newer Paperwhite 3 and really enjoyed the new font options while testing it out. I attempted to install new fonts to my PW1 by dropping ttf files into the newly created "fonts" folder. After creating the "USE_ALT_FONTS" file (no extension) and rebooting, non of the new fonts were available. Would downgrading to 5.3.9 help?

Thanks
audioman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:22 PM   #2713
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@audioman42: Mmmaybe? It's been so long that I honestly don't remember which broke what, but according to my notes in the Fonts Hack, possibly?

Note that the old, old USE_ALT_FONTS trick is *nowhere* near as polished as the custom fonts support added in FW 5.9.7 that you experienced on the PW3.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #2714
Rickkins
Groupie
Rickkins began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite G000PP(5.10.0.2)
My new Paperwhite has the fw 5.10.0.2

What is the jail break status and/or options...??

Thanks.
Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #2715
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
My new Paperwhite has the fw 5.10.0.2

What is the jail break status and/or options...??

Thanks.
perfect status
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=312489
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch