Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Calibre Companion V3.1 HTML Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Again, centering is a relatively minor issue for me, so no problem if it's not something you would want to pursue. CC is pretty awesome as it is. But .... if perhaps one day you had a little extra free time, maybe you can think of a way to easily implement it within the detail page's existing structure.

--Pat
V3.1, released today, renders much more HTML including centered text.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
V3.1, released today, renders much more HTML including centered text.
Nice first step, But unless you make this html enhancement (or at least font size) optional it looks like I'll have to edit the font size for comments of every book because most are too small now. I can get the font size large enough by adjusting withing CC but then everything else in the book details pane is obscenely large.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Nice first step, But unless you make this html enhancement (or at least font size) optional it looks like I'll have to edit the font size for comments of every book because most are too small now. I can get the font size large enough by adjusting withing CC but then everything else in the book details pane is obscenely large.
Odd. I looked at comments for over 40 books in my library for comments containing various HTML features, and not one of them had a font size in CC different from the other items in book details.

Do your comments specify a font size?

Could you either post or send me by PM the HTML for a comment where the font size of the comment is different from the surrounding text?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Could you either post or send me by PM the HTML for a comment where the font size of the comment is different from the surrounding text?
PM sent. Some have font-size. Most seem to look smaller because they are in a <div> tag.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
PM sent. Some have font-size. Most seem to look smaller because they are in a <div> tag.
I grabbed the html for the comments out of the opf in the book and pasted it into a book I have. I then showed book details for that book using the html widget and the rich text widget. The two are identical.

I sent you some screen captures via PM. I hope you can tell me what you are seeing that is different from what I am seeing.

One possibility: the html in the OPF might not be the same as the html in the database. I don't know why this would happen, but maybe it has. You can check this by comparing what you see in Edit Metadata Single under the HTML source tab to what is in the OPF. Alternatively, send me a link to your metadata.db and I can do the checks.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think that I know what is happening. Have you by any chance changed the font size in Android / Settings / Display?

When mine is set to "Normal", which is where it "lives", I don't see any difference between the html and rich-text version. However, if I set it to "Huge" then there is an enormous difference between them.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Charles, a big thanks to you, Steve and Annie for the new release and having an open mind toward user requests and concerns. I like the new centering a lot.

But like Dr. Ohh, I have some comments that appear very tiny. So far, the only difference I can see between those comment sections and the ones that appear normally is the specification of a font size -- in my case, 12 px -- that appear in the tiny comments. Most of my comment sections have no font size specified. I copied the opening tags from such a comment section. Here it is:

<div><p style="text-align: center;"><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'MS Dialog', sans-serif"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 12px;"><i><b>

I have no idea where the font sizes come from. In my case I get the book information from a variety of sources -- through the "download metadata" button in Calibre; copying and pasting from the Amazon.com site; and sometimes copying and pasting from other web sites such as the book publisher's site or Wikipedia. Sometimes I'll even use the "download metadata" button but instead of having the information automatically inserted, I'll copy and paste from those results so as to preserve other pre-filled fields.

When I paste copy into Calibre, I usually don't choose to "match style" because then you lose the italics and bold emphasis. So maybe that's where the font sizes are coming from???

Is it possible for CC to ignore font size specifications in the comments section but still respect things like centering?

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is it possible for CC to ignore font size specifications in the comments section but still respect things like centering?

--Pat
Pat, no. We have the choice of respecting the HTML in the comment or doing as it did before.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By the way, I have some comments with div tags in the beginning, but they don't specify a font size, and those comments look normal-sized on my Nook.

All my comments appear the same size within the Calibre interface, including the book details pane. I'm not sure if this is a reflection of being on Windows XP or not. But that's why I never bother with the variations in the types of html coding that appear in the "HTML Source" tab. As long as things all looked uniform to me, I never bothered tweaking anything.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
By the way, I have some comments with div tags in the beginning, but they don't specify a font size, and those comments look normal-sized on my Nook.
I strongly suspect that your default font size set in system display settings is "normal".
Quote:
All my comments appear the same size within the Calibre interface, including the book details pane. I'm not sure if this is a reflection of being on Windows XP or not. But that's why I never bother with the variations in the types of html coding that appear in the "HTML Source" tab. As long as things all looked uniform to me, I never bothered tweaking anything.
What does Mantano do? My suspicion is that it will respect the font size "commands".
Old 09-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
I think that I know what is happening. Have you by any chance changed the font size in Android / Settings / Display?

When mine is set to "Normal", which is where it "lives", I don't see any difference between the html and rich-text version. However, if I set it to "Huge" then there is an enormous difference between them.
There is a difference even if you have the font size set to large. Not as much of a difference as if you have it set to huge, but it is very noticeable to me.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
There is a difference even if you have the font size set to large. Not as much of a difference as if you have it set to huge, but it is very noticeable to me.
Yea, large is around 15% bigger, so CC's text is equivalently too small. Huge is around 30%.

Last edited by chaley; 09-06-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:

However, if I set it to "Huge" then there is an enormous difference between them.
Yes mine is set to huge. Old eyes and all that.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #14
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
I strongly suspect that your default font size set in system display settings is "normal".
The Nook with its native firmware does not allow users to change system font sizes. So I gather what it's set to by default is a "normal" size.

Quote:
What does Mantano do? My suspicion is that it will respect the font size "commands".
There is also a variation in the size of the comments in Mantano but it's a smaller difference. IOW, the small size in Mantano is larger than the small size I am seeing in CC. Also the larger/normal size in Mantano is smaller than the normal size in CC. Does that make sense?

I don't use the book details page in Mantano as often as I do in CC, because I only put books into Mantano that I know I want to read relatively soon. I treat Mantano like my "reading list" whereas CC is my main library. That's what I really like about this dual app setup.

So I edited one of the comments section that was showing up tiny in CC. I deleted all tags that specified the 12 pt. font size. (It still has the div tag.) The comment now shows up normally in CC's book details page.

I don't mind editing all my comments in Calibre to take out all references to fonts sizes. I just wish there were an easy way to do it. When I manually took it out of one part of the comments, it seemed to pop up in another. I finally was able to get all the font size references out, though. But if anyone knows of an easy way to do this (regex perhaps?) ... please let me know.

I'll also know better in the future to pay more attention to the formatting in the comments section. As I said, I ignored this in the past because all my comments in the Calibre interface look the same size on my computer!

--Pat
Old 09-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #15
PatNY
Zennist

Charles, I'm feeling somewhat ....

+ ish

Here I ask you for an enhancement to CC, and it darn near breaks the layout for some! I hope it's not impacting too many of your customers.

When you wake up on the other side of the pond tomorrow after a good night's sleep, hopefully the right answer will be clear to you.

Whatever you decide to do I'm fine with. Even if you go back to the way it was. But showing the full html for the comments appears to be common. I checked with Stanza, which I haven't used for ages, and it too shows the variation in type sizes in the book details page. It's something I never noticed before because I never stored a lot of books in it. I never used it for heavy library management like I do with CC.

After a little investigation tonight, I finally discovered what was inserting the font style & size tags into my comment sections. It happened whenever I copied and pasted text from a field inside of Calibre into the comments section. I often do that using the "Title" field when a book has a long subtitle. It has been happening for a long time, and though I had noticed this code before, I never had a clue how it got there.

I also discovered that if I pasted the text right next to existing normal text in the comments field (without spacing in between) then the font style and size tags would not be inserted. So at least there's a workaround.

Is this expected behavior for Calibre? Is it desirable? If not, is it something that can be even fixed? Or is it a Windows or Windows XP thing? I can’t imagine the intent was ever to insert a font family and font size when simply copying text from one of Calibre’s user fields into the comments box.

At any rate, now that I know how the font tags got there, I can avoid the problem in the future. In a way I'm glad this came about because it revealed an issue with my book comments that I didn't realize existed and also pointed the way to a workaround. Over time, I'll also be fixing all the comment fields that have the unwanted font sizes. Luckily the problem inflicts less than 1/4 of my books, and it's fairly fast to fix using the "download metadata" button.

--Pat