Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 05-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #31
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Follow up on ikuReader.

I have used this program now since my last post above.

It turns out to be far superior to DSLibris.

It is easier to use, supports 3 e-book formats fb2, ePub and txt.
Here is a little run down of some of it's functions.

A Quick INTRO:

- Depending on the "screen" orientation determines the action each of the four buttons will do.

The same applies to the "D" pad. The screen viewing can be rotated a full 360 degrees. This is done through the "Menu" screen.

- The menu button toggles the Menu on/off and is always located as the Bottom key of either "D" pad or buttons.

- The Bookmark option button toggles the Book marker page on/off and is always located at the Top of either "D" pad or buttons. This page can also be used to navigate the e-book by just running your pointer along the "Bookmark Indicator Box". This does not alter the applied "Bookmarks".

- Paging direction can be done with the "Left" and "Right" portions of touch screen, "D" pad or Buttons as well as the "R" and "L" buttons. Remember screen rotation determines which do the appropriate job.

Depending on which DS device you use determines if the Menu option can control screen brightness.

-The "Select" button brings up a "Find" option that works very well and can be used to step through the Chapters regardless of how they are displayed.

You have the total ability to browse the micro SDHC card within the "Menu" option; therefore, you can organize your e-books into various folders.

Selecting the "Menu" options and then "Close" brings you to the Navigation screen. Selecting "Files" brings up the file tree structure of the Micro SDHC card on the "Touch screen". At this point the down and up direction of the "D" pad or Buttons scrolls through the folders or e-book entires. Tapping on the ".." backs you up a level within the folders (the root being the hightest level). Tapping on a folder opens that folder. Tapping on an e-book opens that e-book.

NOTE:

If you encounter an Out of memory error just reset the device and retry - playing around may use up your memory.

If you have an issue loading a non drm ePub try using Calibre or Sigil to resolve these issues by either converting the ePub to a txt or fb2 format or just bring it back to an epub after converting it to these other formats. I have come across a few that did give me a problem on parsing but converting it to txt allowed it to be read.

Please be patient when opening a large txt file - it does show 2 blank white screens for several seconds. You may think it has locked up but just be patient and the text should display. Once it is open it responds quickly to page changes. I found out that you can change options such as text size and line spacing without have to exit an open e-book. Just select menu - make your changes and then hit menu again to bring you back to your open page.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #32
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Having tried ikuReader, I'm very impressed. Now I can have a couple of my mainstays on my DS at all times for when I get the itch for some quick reads.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #33
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Question: I just ordered an adapter and SD card for the DS Lite. I would like to try the Ikureader on the DSL. Is it necessary to install a patch or anything other than the program and the ebook files?

Thanks,

Anne
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #34
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Question: I just ordered an adapter and SD card for the DS Lite. I would like to try the Ikureader on the DSL. Is it necessary to install a patch or anything other than the program and the ebook files?

Thanks,

Anne
Pretty bird!

Anyhow - You shouldn't need to do any patching at all for the DS Lite. For the most part, the fat DS and DS Lite systems didn't have a real "firmware" like the DSi/DSiXL's do. Assuming you're getting some form of flash-cart (cycloDS, AceKard, R4, etc) you'll just put the ikuReader data folder in the root of the sd card, and put the book files wherever else on the sd card. You should be good to go from there.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #35
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully I ordered the right thing. I guess I'll find out when it gets here!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #36
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Just follow the install instructions for whatever flash card you get. You should be visiting the web site that supports that card to obtain the latest firmware for it as well as the latest "Moonshell" program.

I have often read about "patching" but I have never had to for my NDS-L and NDSi-XL for any NDS program whether it be a game or homebrew.

There are also Dictionary program, Voice recorder and NotePad that works well with the NDS-L and NDSi/NDSi-XL.

For anyone that is out to purchase one of these Flashcards that replace the game cartidge I would recommend getting the type that support the "NDSi" series device. These cards tend to be backward compatible so should you decide to advance to the NDSi or NDSi-XL you can by just moving your cartidge over to it. I do not know if these cartidges will work with the new NDSi-3D.

John
Old 05-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #37
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

It turns out what I bought is R4. With some finagling I figured it out and got a couple of books on the DSL for the kids to read. We like the moonshell background the best. Thansk for the help, and the ikureader info.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #38
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I need to try this ikureader, since I have a DSiXL!
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #39
jlg432
Addict

Ok, here I am back tracking. I just found out that there is a need for the program DSLIBRIS.nds. Apparently it will read some of the ePub books that you may have an issue trying to read through ikuReader.

If you are like me I just load up a bunch of e-books onto my SDHC card and only find out later when I am away from my PC that one of the e-books will not open with ikuReader.

That is where DSLIBRIS and DSOrganise comes into play. DSLibris does not deal with multi layer folders. I also had to rename my "BOOKS" folder to "BOOK" to accommodate DSLibris' requirement. Now when I come across an ePub e-book that won't open with ikuReader I use DSorganize to move or copy it to the root of the "Book" folder where I then access it via DSLibris. Note: you should leave at lease one book in the root of the "Book" folder or DSLibris will fail to start. I just leave the quick start guide that came with it.

DSOrganize's file "Browser" does not have a "Move" command but then again a "Move" command is just a "CUT" and then "Paste" command.

Now I still organize my books into folders named after the Authors but as I come across a problem e-book I just paste it into the root of the "Book" folder. I read somewhere that DSLibris has a limit of 30-35 book entires that it will deal with at one time.

John
Old 08-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #40
jlg432
Addict

I am back with a new discovery(at least for me) that I would like to share with you. You can add DSwiki to your DS_Lite, DSi and DSi-XL. With this software installed and a downloaded copy of the wikipedia file (of the language of your choice) you now have an offline wiki reader. Note: the extracted file that I downloaded is dated 2008 and you will require an 8+ card if you want to maintain all your other games, media etc.

I currently have an 8 gig card which gave me enough room to include what I had before.

I also added wikibooks, wikidictionary and wikiquotes.

It works pretty well. You can offload later extracts but the size may be too large.

Google DSwiki

John
Old 08-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #41
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
Last year I put some ebooks on the DS Lite for my daughter. I also put a couple on for myself. To my surprise, while on holiday, I actually read a whole book on the DS.

So it can be done, but personally it would not be my first choice, but great to have the option.
vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #42
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Does anyone want my R4 card for DS Lite? I am not using it, and it turns out it is not allowed to sell on ebay. So I am offering it free to the first person that wants it.

TAKEN!

Last edited by booklover6; 08-26-2013 at 07:46 AM.