Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #586
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
One more major book and he'll have the Nobel Prize....I predict. Then the body of his work will be considered in its totality, and his genius will be confirmed among those who appreciate superlative literature.
I agree with your prediction.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #587
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
One more major book and he'll have the Nobel Prize....I predict. Then the body of his work will be considered in its totality, and his genius will be confirmed among those who appreciate superlative literature.
I was curious and did a search on 'Haruki Murakami Nobel'

Turns out in 2018, when the Nobel in literature was cancelled amid a sexual harassment scandal, the Swedish Academy wanted to give out an alternate prize.

Their shortlist of four authors included Murakami who withdrew his name. I wonder if he would do the same for the regular prize?

Incidentally, one of the author four authors was Neil Gaiman. Now, I like and respect Neil Gaiman. But a Nobel (or Nobel Alternate)? Something just isn't clicking there for me. Gaiman is closer to Stephen King or Charles Dickens to me. A great writer. But not a Nobel nominee.

I do think King should be nominated Presidential Medal of Freedom. Not likely given his relationship with the current administration, but I do believe he deserves it as much as Louis L'Amour did.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:46 PM   #588
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One
I remember reading some articles on that other prize. The thinking was that an acceptance of an alternative Nobel-type prize would dilute consideration for the 'Big One' if one's name was selected (whose nominees for consideration are not given to the public, as you know).

I think, additionally, that the Nobel comes with slightly more than one million dollars as well.

ADDED: I consider Neil Gaiman a popular genre writer - and a good one - but not Nobel quality.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-09-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:43 AM   #589
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco is 99p on Amazon UK today
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0089WCFSG
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote