Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #16
Gotadimple
Zealot
Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nvidia Shield
My email has an Amazon smile logo on it. The attached link only takes you to the Amazon shopping site. As others have said, news outlets began carrying articles Wed pm and Thursday morning about the breach.
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:29 AM   #17
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
My email has an Amazon smile logo on it.
Are you sure it is a 'smile'? Bwahahahahaha
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:31 AM   #18
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I would assume this is an attempt to secure a bunch of "live" email addresses. I would not hit any link in the email, and I *would* type in the amazon URL manually and change my password, immediately. I didnt get the email.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I would assume this is an attempt to secure a bunch of "live" email addresses. I would not hit any link in the email, and I *would* type in the amazon URL manually and change my password, immediately. I didnt get the email.
I still use an older e-mail client. I have it show all headers. nothing convoluted with this one.
(there have been some I stared at if for some time, sure it was SPAM/a Phish, before the 'trick' surfaced )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:37 AM   #20
Heqian_Yanqiu
Heqian_Yanqiu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
The A in the link is not weird, the emails from CS that I've received always have had 'Amazon.com' at the end, though it is not 'linked' unlike the one in the picture.
Heqian_Yanqiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #21
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
This is a topic I'm going to write about in my forthcoming book Conspiracy Science. It's simply amazing how frequently big organizations lose people's personal information.

Yes, mistakes can happen, but such data breaches can also be very lucrative for the organization that loses the data.
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #22
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
This is a topic I'm going to write about in my forthcoming book Conspiracy Science. It's simply amazing how frequently big organizations lose people's personal information.

Yes, mistakes can happen, but such data breaches can also be very lucrative for the organization that loses the data.
Going to be fiction or non fiction? The way it sounds fiction, maybe?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #23
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
<snip>... It's simply amazing how frequently big organizations lose people's personal information...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Going to be fiction or non fiction? The way it sounds fiction, maybe?
Really? The part I just bolded from SigilBear's post looks like fact, not fiction, to me.

IMHO I think it's nothing short of scandalous that large corporations can't (or choose not to) take better care of their customer data.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #24
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Really? The part I just bolded from SigilBear's post looks like fact, not fiction, to me.
And the part you chose not to quote does not...
Quote:
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #25
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
IMHO I think it's nothing short of scandalous that large corporations can't (or choose not to) take better care of their customer data.
Why did you change organizations to corporations?

The US government and your country's health service had data breaches right up there with the largest corporate data breaches, with the possible exceptions of Marriott's and maybe Facebook.

In the US case, it was very extensive data for all government employees, all applicants for government jobs, and government contractor employees going back many decades.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:54 PM   #26
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I don't know that the author of my next link is that much of a expert in this area, but it still sounds plausible:

There are only two types of companies: those that have been hacked, and those that will be.

Last edited by issybird; 12-30-2018 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Quoted spam link deleted.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #27
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
And the part you chose not to quote does not...
The book in question that SigilBear plans on writing (Conspiracy Science) is the thing I asked about if it is going to be a fiction or non fiction book. The title itself automatically leads me to believe it is fiction as conspiracy and science together is usually an oxymoron.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:38 PM   #28
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The disturbing part of that email, assuming it is legit (I didn't receive one), is that Amazon tells the customers they do not need to change their password. Sure, if you have long random generated passwords including symbols, and never reuse passwords, you're probably safe. But considering how many people have weak passwords and reuse them at multiple sites, and since they have the email associated with the account, it could be simpler for them to hack the password to the email, and then be able to reset their Amazon password.

If I had gotten that email as one of the accounts affected, I would change the email associated with my Amazon account, and change the passwords to both Amazon and the old email. I'm surprised Amazon doesn't at least recommend changing their passwords to both.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote