Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
For the latter I prefer ink on paper, then its my property to share with whom I ever I please. I give most books away once I've read them, mostly via nearby street libraries. The only thing I hoard are memories

BR
It's vice versa for me. I prefer to live in the present and not to dwell on the past or the future. It's not that I have many painful or traumatic memories (less than average amount of those, actually); it's just the way I am. I'm an awful hoarder of things I like, OTOH. Books (mostly ebooks for the last 7 years), favorite magazines, Kindles. What I'm totally unable to hoard is money.

My Calibre library consists of roughly 15 000 ebooks. They're "normal books". I don't do short stories or novellas, and my fanfic days were 20 years ago or so. Lost the urge.

All my ebooks are manually edited (metadata, covers, formatting) and converted to azw3. Managing my Calibre library is practically a second full-time job for me. Well, I enjoy fiddling with it, otherwise I wouldn't have spent countless hours on the activity.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:05 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzin_la View Post
Hi, I'm Tenzin and I have a book problem.
Another candidate for the Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread in the General Discussions area.

My name is David and I am a bookaholic...
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:49 AM   #18
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
All my ebooks are manually edited (metadata, covers, formatting) and converted to azw3. Managing my Calibre library is practically a second full-time job for me. Well, I enjoy fiddling with it, otherwise I wouldn't have spent countless hours on the activity.
I am retired but I enjoy fiddling as well so Managing my Calibre library is practically a full-time job for me. I have about 25000 books and short stories in my library and have decided not to let it get any bigger as I will not live long enough to read all my unread books.

I read on average more than two books per week on average. Any more and my wife starts getting narky.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:20 PM   #19
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Boy, I have nothing compared to the rest of you: 1127 novels and 38 reference books (textbooks, travel guides, etc.) thus far. Still, this is more books than I could ever hope to read before I die. I'm pretty much stuck at one-novel-per-month reading speed on average. But some of the books I have collected I know I'll never read. e.g., Moby Dick that I got off of Gutenberg (I think). Looks good in the collection, like I'm an intellectual or something, but after sampling the first few sentences I know it's too tedious for me. And I thought I used too many commas! Wow, on average there have to be about 25 per sentence in that book. Give me James Rollins or Matthew Reilly or Jeremy Robinson instead!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:54 PM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I've actually read maybe 80-90% of my collection. I've been collecting these since 2007/8 and can read through a bunch of them really quickly (most are less than 10K words).

The other 10-20% are absolute drek but it's easier to keep them in Calibre already marked as drek than re-download them again only to read them again and find out that they're drek.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #21
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Total, I have just over 1800 books, although the amount of actual ebooks is about 950. The rest is a combination of fanfics, various software and game manuals, and a catalog of my physical books.

I read quite a bit. Before health issues came up I was able to read three books a day. Not quite as fast anymore, though.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 11-03-2018 at 09:41 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #22
Weird Harold
Kindle User
Weird Harold began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Fire 8
Haven't taken a book count lately but my Libraries directory is 43.9 gb, all "just books".

update... Just checked 44,519 !!!

Last edited by Weird Harold; 11-08-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Weird Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:04 PM   #23
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Roughly 3,500 which includes magazines like Lightspeed and Asimovs. It's a combined library of several family members. I have a separate library for freebies and currently that's just over 1,000 after some purging.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #24
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
I read on average more than two books per week on average.
The Department of Redundancy Department couldn't have said it any better!

But wow, you read really fast. I'm jealous.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:31 AM   #25
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
The Department of Redundancy Department couldn't have said it any better!
There's a nasty echo where I am. ...I am ....1 am.

My reading speed has slowed dpwn with age as my eyes have deteriorated. When I was 16yo I would often start reading about 7pm and usually have finished two books by midnight to 1am. Nowadays I have lots of time to spend reading if I wish as I am retired. I find eReaders very easy on the eyes.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #26
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I work on fixing stuff in Calibre twice a week when making phone calls. I'm on hold a lot, so it was something more productive than making doodles. Plus, I don't waste valuable reading time fixing.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #27
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
After a few days of adding a bunch of my physical books, I just hit the 2000 mark. The amount of paper books I have is a little ridiculous. They're overflowing the shelves and basically all over the place in my small apartment. I've been trying to switch to eBooks but between the cost (why do so many cost more than the regular paper book? There's no cost of printing!) and the fact that a bunch of them aren't even available in digital format, it's hard.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:36 PM   #28
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Too many to ever read all of them. I laughed at theducks post because his approach was not dissimilar to my own. And a large library to begin with has only grown since. I think in the days of physical books only one could have too many books. Now, when they reside in cyberspace? Impossible. To me the operative word in the phrase "Calibre Library" is "Library". If I never purchase or borrow another book I have my own library with enough material to give me a wide choice of reading for the indefinite future. I'm not at all concerned that I won't read many of them. The opportunity to read any particular book right now is there. And online.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #29
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I'm not at all concerned that I won't read many of them.
I'm not "concerned", but I am "sad".

I hate to think that I might miss out on "my favorite author" because I failed to read enough books to have found him/her by the time I die. I know that's a weird thing to be sad about, but the thought makes me contemplate my mortality.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:27 AM   #30
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
13531 items right now, I have a couple thousand more than haven't been added but some are duplicates.

Have I mentioned I love calibre? Screw directories file trees... life wouldn't be the same without this software. So many features, one day I am going to run a server to share my library and book scarcity will not be an issue for anyone ever again. Once we figure out the food thing life on this planet should be pretty swell <3
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, library size