Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-21-2023, 11:52 PM   #1
lakedai
lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
[GUI Plugin] VimStyle

I have created a simple plugin to provide VIM like keyboard shortcuts

The default shortcuts are:

J ---> next row
K ---> previous row
Ctrl+F ---> page down
Ctrl+B ---> page up
G ---> first row
Shift+G ---> last row
H ---> left cell in a row
L ---> right cell in a row
Shift+H or 0 ---> first cell in a row (note: the key is zero, not english O)
Shift+L or $ ---> last cell in a row

They can be overridden in Preferences->Shortcuts->Vim style:
Attached Files
File Type: zip Vimstyle_0.1.0.zip (7.7 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-24-2023 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Attach new version
lakedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 02:02 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedai View Post
I have created a simple plugin of this type (Vimstyle.zip). The shortcuts used are:

J ---> to next row
K ---> to previous row
H ---> to left cell in a row
L ---> to right cell in a row
Ctrl+F ---> to next page
Ctrl+B ---> to previous page
G ---> to first row
Shift+G ---> to last row

I only test it on version 6.4.0 of calibre with linux(ubuntu22.04). Please take a try if you would. Thank you.
Thanks for this! My fingers always know j/k for navigation, and that works perfectly on Calibre 6.13.0 (Windows 11 64 bit). However, that being said, L/H don't appear to work. (ultimately less important for me, but would be nice.)

Another navigation that would be useful is one to go to the very first tab or the very last tab of virtual libraries. (I've got a lot of virtual libraries and navigating from Weber to Home is a nuisance, given that Home is no longer visible when I've got the Weber tab open.) Perhaps that would make more sense for the H/L keys??
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2023, 02:07 PM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I have created a simple plugin of this type (Vimstyle.zip). The shortcuts used are:

J ---> to next row
K ---> to previous row
Ctrl+F ---> to next page
G ---> to first row
Shift+G ---> to last row

I only test it on version 6.4.0 of calibre with linux(ubuntu22.04). Please take a try if you would. Thank you.
Thank you! Yes, H and L don't work very well for me, but the other... yes.... and that's the important thing.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 03:28 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

J ---> to next row
K ---> to previous row
Ctrl+F ---> to next page
G ---> to first row
Shift+G ---> to last row

Works fine on Vanilla Windows Portable 6.10 (i.e. no kb shortcut customisation)

The PI doesn't need to be on a menu, be better if it wasn't offered at install time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
. . .

Another navigation that would be useful is one to go to the very first tab or the very last tab of virtual libraries. (I've got a lot of virtual libraries and navigating from Weber to Home is a nuisance, given that Home is no longer visible when I've got the Weber tab open.) Perhaps that would make more sense for the H/L keys??
The Miscellaneous->Clear the Virtual Library shortcut will take you to the All Book VL tab. It defaults to Ctrl+Esc, but Windows uses that to display the Start Menu

So, on Windows you need to set it to something else, e.g. Ctrl+↑ to match Ctrl+← and Ctrl+→, the defaults for previous and next VL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Thank you! Yes, H and L don't work very well for me, but the other... yes.... and that's the important thing.
H & L take me to previous and next cell. Did you expect first and last?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 03:56 PM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

BR
No, L was not right, I don't know exactly why, and H was a bit random.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2023, 05:05 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The PI doesn't need to be on a menu, be better if it wasn't offered at install time.
Agreed. There's nothing for it to configure or do, so no need for a menu location.
Quote:
The Miscellaneous->Clear the Virtual Library shortcut will take you to the All Book VL tab. It defaults to Ctrl+Esc, but Windows uses that to display the Start Menu

So, on Windows you need to set it to something else, e.g. Ctrl+↑ to match Ctrl+← and Ctrl+→, the defaults for previous and next VL.
OK, that's useful. Though on windows it's automatically set to Ctrl-sh-H, apparently. But I added an alternate for Ctrl+↑. Too bad there isn't a way to go to the last virtual library tab.

Quote:
BR

Quote:
No, L was not right, I don't know exactly why, and H was a bit random.
On this machine, it seems to sort of work?? But gets stuck on some cells (authors, for example) when trying to go left. And a similar problem going right. Overall, I'd say the L/H keys are not working as expected. But others are great!
Old 02-22-2023, 05:28 PM   #7
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Hmmm. I wonder if the cell movement problems are related to custom columns and custom column order? It appears to only move to columns that are default columns (though I admit I no longer remember which the default columns are and which are custom columns, I've been using and tweaking calibre for so long. )
Old 02-22-2023, 11:02 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmmm. I wonder if the cell movement problems are related to custom columns and custom column order? It appears to only move to columns that are default columns (though I admit I no longer remember which the default columns are and which are custom columns, I've been using and tweaking calibre for so long. )
You're right, my initial test was cursory and on the default library with a couple of extra books.

When I hooked up a 'real' library H & L made no sense, they skipped standard columns (e.g. publisher) but landed on a custom column (e.g. #admin_tags) etc. And, they sometimes go the wrong way - i.e. H will go right and L will go left.

I can confirm its not due other plugins, Vim Style is the only one installed.

@TdM, @CR - do you use the View Manager (VM) plugin, even though its not installed on the Portable install I'm using for tests, the libraries on which H & L misbehave do have the VM settings.

BR
Old 02-23-2023, 12:18 AM   #9
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
You're right, my initial test was cursory and on the default library with a couple of extra books.

When I hooked up a 'real' library H & L made no sense, they skipped standard columns (e.g. publisher) but landed on a custom column (e.g. #admin_tags) etc. And, they sometimes go the wrong way - i.e. H will go right and L will go left.

I can confirm its not due other plugins, Vim Style is the only one installed.

@TdM, @CR - do you use the View Manager (VM) plugin, even though its not installed on the Portable install I'm using for tests, the libraries on which H & L misbehave do have the VM settings.

BR
Yes, I have the View Manager plugin installed, though I'm not currently running any custom views because I had to rebuild the machine that was primarily used with. However, both machines I test on have it installed, since I routinely copy my %appdata%\calibre\* folder to keep everything synced and be sure I have the expected plugins on both machines.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:45 AM   #10
lakedai
lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lakedai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for this! My fingers always know j/k for navigation, and that works perfectly on Calibre 6.13.0 (Windows 11 64 bit). However, that being said, L/H don't appear to work. (ultimately less important for me, but would be nice.)
Quote:
Quote:
Works fine on Vanilla Windows Portable 6.10 (i.e. no kb shortcut customisation)
BR
Thank you all. I have try to solve some problems, and with little improvement , as following:
1. H/L does'n work. It is caused by customized columns. Now fixed.
2. add key repeat support.
3. when browsing rows, the focus column is keeped.
4. add two action for first/last cell.

the complete shortcut keys:
J ---> next row
K ---> previous row
Ctrl+F ---> page down
Ctrl+B ---> page up
G ---> first row
Shift+G ---> last row
H ---> left cell in a row
L ---> right cell in a row
Shift+H, 0 ---> first cell in a row (note: the key is zero, not english O)
Shift+L, $ ---> last cell in a row

To use it, make sure the keys do not conflict with exist ones.
I have test it on 6.4.0/6.13.0 on linux(ubuntu22.04).

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-23-2023 at 04:48 PM. Reason: ZIP moved to first post
lakedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:22 PM   #11
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I'm downloading the latest, @lakedai, but it would probably be good to edit the original message and upload the new version to that message (makes it easier for new people to find the most recent), and to start adding version numbers to the zip filename.

It seems to work as expected now. BTW, it was initially unclear that Shift+H, 0 was actually two separate ways to accomplish the same movement. I initially read it as a two-key combination. You might want to show it as Shift+H or 0
Old 02-23-2023, 03:39 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
I'm downloading the latest, @lakedai, but it would probably be good to edit the original message and upload the new version to that message (makes it easier for new people to find the most recent), and to start adding version numbers to the zip filename.

It seems to work as expected now. BTW, it was initially unclear that Shift+H, 0 was actually two separate ways to accomplish the same movement. I initially read it as a two-key combination. You might want to show it as Shift+H or 0
I suspect @lakedai can't edit his first post, so I'll move the zip and copy the new list.

@lakedai, in order to edit your posts you need to bump your post count above 10; suggest you post some messages in one of the threads in Lounge

BR
Old 02-23-2023, 04:44 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Because the shortcuts are customisable, the plugin might also be useful to people not familiar with the VIM keybindings.

So, I suggest the descriptions in Preferences-> Shortcuts be more descriptive (this is based on what's there, i.e. calibre sorts them) :

Code:

Vim: end (last column)          Shortcuts: Shift+L, $
Vim: first (first book)         Shortcuts: G
Vim: home (first column)        Shortcuts: Shift+H, 0
Vim: last (last book)           Shortcuts: Shift+G
Vim: left (previous column)     Shortcuts: H
Vim: next (next book)           Shortcuts: J
Vim: pagedown (page down)       Shortcuts: Ctrl+F
Vim: pageup (page up)           Shortcuts: Ctrl+B
Vim: prev (previous book)       Shortcuts: K
Vim: right (next column)        Shortcuts: L
@CR and @TdM - thoughts?

Added: Should the name of the plugin be changed to something like "Navigation Keys"?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-23-2023 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2023, 08:19 PM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Because the shortcuts are customisable, the plugin might also be useful to people not familiar with the VIM keybindings.

So, I suggest the descriptions in Preferences-> Shortcuts be more descriptive (this is based on what's there, i.e. calibre sorts them) :

Code:

Vim: first (first column)       Shortcuts: G
Vim: home (first column)        Shortcuts: Shift+H, 0
@CR and @TdM - thoughts?

Added: Should the name of the plugin be changed to something like "Navigation Keys"?

BR
You forgot Shift+L, $ ---> last cell in a row.

I'd list both Shift+L and Shift+H shortcuts with the shifted version AFTER the single key version. So:
Code:

Vim: first (first column)       Shortcuts: G
Vim: home (first column)        Shortcuts: 0, Shift+H
Vim: Last column                Shortcuts: $, Shift+L
I'd also argue for ^ (caret) as the shortcut for first column, rather than 0. More Vim-ish.
Old 02-23-2023, 09:53 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
You forgot Shift+L, $ ---> last cell in a
row.
Corrected. I'm blaming OneNote OCR :lol:

Quote:
I'd list both Shift+L and Shift+H shortcuts with the shifted version AFTER the single key version. So:
Code:
. . . 
. . .
My list is in the sequence the shortcuts are presented in calibre (which sorts on description), I don't know if that can be changed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-24 134501.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	199888

BR