Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-18-2020, 02:12 PM   #4666
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin42069 View Post
Preview
so ive tried to download off storiesonline.net and all i am getting is this.
'NoneType' object is not subscriptable
https://storiesonline.net/s/22134

it happens on all that i try and download from there. i tried from fanfiction.net and that was fine. so it only appears to be storiesonline.net. let me know if you need more info. also it just happened after i updated to the new plugin the previous one worked fine
Working fine for me. I find it hard to believe the previous version(v3.23) worked better than the current version(v3.24) since the site changed and v3.24 has the fixes for those changes...

A similar issue came up just yesterday:
My response:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=4643

The user's solution:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=4645
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #4667
Robin42069
Enthusiast
Robin42069 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
yeah i didnt have 2FA on but i reverted the display back to factory settings and it didnt change anything is still isnt working. still getting the same message
Robin42069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:57 PM   #4668
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yeah i didnt have 2FA on but i reverted the display back to factory settings and it didnt change anything is still isnt working. still getting the same message
If you run Calibre in debug(under Calibre's preferences drop down), try again and post the debug log, I might be able to help you.

Otherwise, without seeing it happen there's not much I can do.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:05 PM   #4669
Robin42069
Enthusiast

here you go. let me know if i got this wrong its the first time i've done this
Attached Files
File Type: txt tmpo11t2tq9 debug report.txt (5.3 KB, 84 views)
Old 10-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #4670
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

If I may recap the Update Mode discussion:

DavidTC's initial reported problem was that he changes the default Update Mode to 'metadata only from saved column' a lot and is then unhappy when he does 'from email' while it's still set to 'meta only'.

Suggestion 1: Separate default settings for Update Mode for 1) URL download, 2) update existing, 3) Email URL download, and 4) existing anthology update (the 4 places it's used if I counted right.)

Pros
That helps with DavidTC's problem.

Can also explicitly remove 'Add New' and 'Skip' from 'update existing' default 'update mode' instead of implicitly like now.

Cons
However, that doesn't help any user who experiences the same problem but doesn't use 'from email' and uses 'update existing' manually. Example: ownedbycats. I suspect this is a significant number of users.

Where in config would these settings go? All together? Email on the email page? What about the other default Download Options settings?

Suggestion 2: New menu actions for 'update metadata only from web/from saved column' that would be equivalent to 'Update existing' if you had manually changed Update Mode each time to the select 'calibre metadata only' option.

Pros
Helps with DavidTC's problem--no reason to change default Update Mode to 'meta only' anymore.

Can have a separate hotkey/shortcut for 'meta only' updates vs real updates.

Cons
But doesn't help a user who wants to 'temporarily' use a default Update Mode that isn't one of the 'calibre meta only' modes, say Skip or Overwrite.

Plus what about URL download? I can see wanting to do 'meta only' by URL, too. More menu options?

Suggestion 3: New Customizable Actions (not previously discussed) - Add a limited number (3-5) of 'Actions' which can each be customized by what type of action and some settings.

Possible Types?
- URL download
- update existing
- Email URL download
- existing anthology update
- anthology URL download
- anthology from web page
- Individual stories from web page
And then Update Mode and possibly other settings as well.

Pros
This allows the user to define separate 'working on metadata' and 'actually downloading' actions with different own settings.

Can have a separate hotkey/shortcut for different types of actions/updates.

Cover update? Output format? Maybe even their own personal.ini sections?

Cons
Obviously much more complexity, configuration and more menu items.

A steeper learning curve for users? Possible confusion when existing settings and actions apply and when 'custom actions' settings override?

I'm not promising to do any thing about this right now, but I am curious what other people think.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:36 PM   #4671
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
here you go. let me know if i got this wrong its the first time i've done this
Got the log fine, thanks.

storiesonline.net uses a complex multi-step login. It appears that part way through the login, the site is not returning what FFF expects.

The fact it works for me (and presumably others, since there aren't more complaints), suggests that the site treating you differently.

If it isn't theme settings or 2FA, my guess is that you're being blocked by the site. Give a few hours or a few days and try again.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #4672
Robin42069
Enthusiast

ok thanks for looking into it for me. i appreciate that.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #4673
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version Posted

2020-10-18
- "Hide"(setVisible(False)) rather than disable unused menu items. Keep sub menus reorg.

2020-10-17
- Disable rather than "hide"(not create) unused menu items, reorg into sub menus.

I believe that this is the final fix for the disappearing shortcuts issue. For FFF, at least.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:11 PM   #4674
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I think I prefer Suggestion #2.

#3 is nice too but it sounds like it may be a fustercluck to try to maintain.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:27 PM   #4675
DavidTC
Connoisseur
DavidTC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Boox C67ML
I say #2, but...to be more consistent, would it be possible to have the all six different 'Updating from current book(s)' option on a popout menu? (Which we could also put on the context menu, and of course give shortcuts.) And have a toggle to those happen without prompting, like we can do with email.

But you also also leaving the existing 'Updating Existing Fanfic Book', which always comes up with the dialog, and selects the changable default, so that's all exactly the same.

---

And, I would still argue that an email update shouldn't let you use the nonsensical 'Skip' or 'Update Calibre Metadata' options. In fact, no modes besides 'Update EPUB if New Chapters' should be there at all, not just an allowed default, but...literally not allowed at all for email import. (It's hypothetically possible that 'Overwrite Story if Newer' is also needed?)

I know you said 'Don't assume everyone is using FFF the same way I am', but when we paste in URLs, or scrap a page, or select books...we want to do something specific to those things we chose. We need to be able to tell FFF this thing to apply to those books. So, yes, leave all those options.

But when we pull in URLs from email...we didn't compile that specific URL list, and don't even know what is there. Asking us what we want to do to a URL that we have literally no idea what it is beyond 'Some story I once subscribed to, don't know which one' is an odd choice to give us.

Asking us on an entire _list_ of such URLs is even weirder, because...hypothetically we could want to do different things to different ones! We didn't put that list together, that's not our grouping. Except...we don't know what they are individually anyway, so...no, we don't want to do something different.

This is sorta like the mailman showing up each day and holding a closed sack with our mail, and saying 'Here's todays mail. Do you want it, or do you want me to throw it all in the trash for you?'. That's not a useful choice.
DavidTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:39 PM   #4676
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTC View Post
I say #2, but...to be more consistent, would it be possible to have the all six different 'Updating from current book(s)' option on a popout menu? (Which we could also put on the context menu, and of course give shortcuts.) And have a toggle to those happen without prompting, like we can do with email.
I'm not sure what you mean by" "six different 'Updating from current book(s)' option"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTC View Post
I know you said 'Don't assume everyone is using FFF the same way I am'
Why are you still arguing the point when you're already quoting the answer? Every time you bring this up makes me want to do anything for you less. You have stated your position. Please stop bringing it up.

Go fork the repo and make your version if you feel that strongly about it.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:55 PM   #4677
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by" "six different 'Updating from current book(s)' option"
I assume he means the two updates, the two overwrites, and the two metadata updates. Seems a little silly to me to put them all on the menu though.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #4678
ILB
Groupie
ILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis
Would it be useful to make a new structuring of the whole menu?
The same way you reorganized the unused menu items - as sub menues
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-10-19.png
Views:	120
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	182874

Like:
main points
- Download from …
- Update Existing Fanfiction Book
- Update Metadata
- Anthology Options
and as sub menu the different options?
(And only the options that make sense with the respective main point)
(or maybe all options because someone will probably want use that)

Spoiler:

For example

1. Download from URL(s)
2. Download from Web Page

Each with Sub menu:
• Skip (If someone uses this?)
• Add new book
• Update EPUB if new chapters
• Update EPUB always
• Overwrite if newer
• Overwrite always
• Update Metadata from Web Site

3. Download from Mail
4. Update Existing Book

Each with Sub menu:
• Update EPUB if new chapters
• Update EPUB always
• Overwrite if newer
• Overwrite always
With “add” as default if story doesn´t already exist. Or that default is already the case, right?

5. Update Metadata (of the marked books)
Sub menu:
• Update Metadata from Web Site
• Update Metadata from Saved Column

6. Anthology Options (like in the picture above)
Sub menu:
• Make from URLs
• Make from Web Page
• Update existing Anthology

ILB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:02 PM   #4679
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILB View Post
Would it be useful to make a new structuring of the whole menu?
I'm thinking something very similar.

However, I'm reluctant to remove the existing top level menu options to a) not take them away from people used to clicking them and b) not mess up existing keyboard shortcuts.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #4680
DavidTC
Connoisseur
DavidTC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Boox C67ML
Quote:
I meant, every action that is on the current mode list for updating a book (Which is currently six.) would be a menu item, and yes, to answer the other person, I assumed a submenu.

But leaving the current prompting one (Which allows a few other options to be changed also, like the format and updating the cover, etc)

And, maybe more importantly, can be assigned hot keys. And put on the context menu, also, which would be good.

Quote:
Why are you still arguing the point when you're already quoting the answer? Every time you bring this up makes me want to do anything for you less. You have stated your position. Please stop bringing it up.
I bought it up because I assumed there was a difference between someone suggesting removing unlikely options, and someone suggesting removing options that can't currently be used on purpose for anything, because the users don't even have enough information to know when to use then

But it's your program.

If you want 'the ability to choose to do different things to different books that update via email' to be a usable thing, I have several suggestions on ways it could work, if you want those instead?

Or...do nothing there, I don't really care, because I don't do those different things when updating via email, and I'm not sure anyone does. If anyone actually wants to do that, they will eventually show up with a complaint about it.
DavidTC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfiction