Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #46
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejereader View Post
I went to the new Borders Ebook store yesterday and bought a book (cheap) to see if it worked with my Sony 505. I see no substantive difference between what I downloaded (Stephen King's The Colorado Kid) and the others I have purchased from the Sony site. I did this because some (I have not done an exhaustive search by any means) of the Borders books appear to be cheaper (e.g., Lee Child's Enemy 8.99 at Sony, 7.79 at Borders) while others are identical. I routinely get percentage off coupons from Borders through email that always exclude ebooks. I am assuming (hoping) that with the new store I will begin to see percentage off coupons for the Borders ebook site that will make it cheaper to buy there.
I often found ebooks at Sony to be higher but I think that is due to them showing the price with tax where as Borders will add tax at the completion of the sale. I could be wrong on that.

I already heard back that Borders charges the tax during the sale, can anyone confirm that the price show on Sony already includes the tax?

Though, a $1.20 tax on Lee Child's Enemy is a bit steep. I'm guessing the book at Sony is a bit higher before tax compared to Borders.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #47
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsmomma View Post
Can Borders books can be loaded on B&N's Nook (easily)?

it should no problem. It sells in epub format.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #48
mreclass
Enthusiast
mreclass began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
The site is easy on the eyes and quite user-friendly. I have already added some books to my Wish List...can't wait to actually get them and read them.
mreclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't know why these stores don't make Kindle compatible files... oh well... back to Amazon to buy some ebooks...

BOb
It's because they don't sell the Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #50
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Looks like further convergence on EPUB.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #51
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Is a pretty nice looking site.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:35 AM   #52
zsmomma
zsmomma began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, Pandigital Novel, iPod Touch
If you download the Borders app, you can choose a free ebook from their list of 5.
zsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:28 AM   #53
ForceMd
ForceMd is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad: (Thinks to himself; Kindle or Nook; Hmmm...)
Quote:
I don't know why these stores don't make Kindle compatible files... oh well... back to Amazon to buy some ebooks...

BOb

Actually, it is Amazon who needs to get on the ePub boat and be compatible with everyone else. Corret me if i'm wrong (I'm new at this) but it seems that it is easy enough to buy books from most of the other ebook stores (B&N, Borders, Sony... even Apple's iBooks) and use the DRMed books on other devices (Borders ebooks on the Nook for example). Everyone seems to play nicely with each other except Amazon.

Last edited by ForceMd; 07-09-2010 at 02:40 AM.
ForceMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:42 AM   #54
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceMd View Post
Actually, it is Amazon who needs to get on the ePub boat and be compatible with everyone else. Corret me if i'm wrong (I'm new at this) but it seems that it is easy enough to buy books from most of the other ebook stores (B&N, Borders, Sony... even Apple's iBooks) and use the DRMed books on other devices (Borders ebooks on the Nook for example). Everyone seems to play nicely with each other except Amazon.
Actually, all the stores are using vendor lock in software... including the iBook store and the Amazon store and yes, even the stores that use Adobe DRM.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:44 AM   #55
ForceMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsmomma View Post
If you download the Borders app, you can choose a free ebook from their list of 5.
If I understand you correctly, the 5 books that you see when you first open the Borders app are ALL yours free. I believe these are all public domain books that would be free on all of the major ebook stores anyway.

On a side note, I like how Borders took the time to provide nice cover art for the free public domain books.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:45 AM   #56
ForceMd

Quote:
Actually, all the stores are using vendor lock in software... including the iBook store and the Amazon store and yes, even the stores that use Adobe DRM.

BOb

Oh, I assumed that because they all used ePub, that they were interchangeable. This is not the case?
Old 07-09-2010, 03:03 AM   #57
jennstall
jennstall began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
If I understand you correctly, the 5 books that you see when you first open the Borders app are ALL yours free. I believe these are all public domain books that would be free on all of the major ebook stores anyway.

On a side note, I like how Borders took the time to provide nice cover art for the free public domain books.
They just send out an email today offering five brand new ebooks for free if you download the app. But when I checked the book on my iPod Borders App, they weren't free. On the Borders website they are free however and I didn't need to download their software at all. I just downloaded the books to the Sony Reader Library.

The titles are:
Julia's Kitchen Wisdom (Julia Child)
Dean Koontz's Frankenstein
The Alchemyst (Michael Scott)
One Shot (Lee Child)
Jillian Michaels' Master Your Metabolism
jennstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #58
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Oh, I assumed that because they all used ePub, that they were interchangeable. This is not the case?
It's not the format, ePub, that is the issue, it's the DRM used. Most ebook stores and libraries now use ADE. These books are interchangeable. For example, I just downloaded the 5 free books from Borders and loaded one of them on my Sony. I've also loaded a book from Sony, and books from my local library. The two stores that DON'T use ADE are iBooks and Amazon. There is one hitch with Barnes and Noble. They do use ADE but they use a newer version so your ereader would need to be updated with the latest ADE in order to use ebooks from B&N.

Bottom line everyone is "playing nice" if by that you mean all using ADE for DRM except Amazon and Apple.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #59
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Well... aren't they all locked into Adobe Digital Editions and the Adobe Mobile Reader SDK? Granted, there are several devices that support this... but it is all locked to and relys on Adobe and their software. If Adobe goes away (ok no likley) but still...

Bottom line... even ePub's with Adobe DRM are locked in to certain devices and/or software.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #60
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
If Adobe goes away (ok no likley) but still...
The sad part about DRM is that a company doesn't even have to go away-just has to shut down their DRM servers (Walmart, Microsoft, Yahoo).
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote