Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
JollyRoger
Zealot
JollyRoger is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
How about a marker for read books?

I've got almost 1700 ebooks in Calibre, and I#'d really struggle to manage them all without Calibre hence why I contributed
However I think the only thing I can see is missing is the ability to mark books that have been read.
With so many I sometimes get confused so I don't know if this is a simple thing to do or not, but it'd be lovely to have.
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Two points:
1. This is not a "recipes" issue. It should be posted under the "Library Management" sub-forum. Perhaps a moderator will move it.
2. calibre can handle this fine. There are two ways: one is to repurpose an existing column and the other is to create a custom column.

Most users with this need seem to like creating a custom column to store a marker for read and not read, sometimes adding addition status options. Personally, I find no use for other people's Ratings so I simply use the rating for my personal rating with no rating meaning that the book is unread.

I have an assortment of Saved Searches and Virtual Libraries that then use the Rating column, often in combination with other columns or Tags. I can thus quickly find a "Science Fiction" "Short Story" that is unread (rating=0).

Last edited by dwig; 02-15-2018 at 04:01 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I have a Yes/No custom column called "Read" that when marked as a yes also changes that rows text to red. Works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-03-24.png
Views:	198
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	162322  
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
ienosos
ienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enough

Device: Android phone, Android tablet
I'm just completely lazy when it comes to this. I tag everything "Unread" when it comes into my library, then change the tag to "Read" when I read it. Sometimes I forget to update it later, but I just search for all "Unread" books every so often and skim the list for any I've missed, then do a bulk edit.

Some other marker for "Read" status might be nice, but I'm pretty happy with my own system.

I hid the ratings column because it's so subjective to whatever else I've read that day or week that I wasn't finding it useful. I had to shake my head at my own ratings sometimes. So I don't use that column at all anymore.
ienosos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marker, read