Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #16
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What header? The Kindle doesn't display any header while one is reading a book.
Yes, I know that. However, with the new FW update, the clock display can now be turned on/off, and if it's turned on, it's displayed in what could be considered a "header" area, i.e., directly above the first line of text on the screen, in a smaller font. All I was saying in my original post was that perhaps this is a first step by Amazon to implement a header that contains the book title/author, and can be turned on or off depending on the user's preference.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:36 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I see what you mean now, yes. Thanks for the clarification. I'm really not sure why anyone would want to see the book title, mind you; it's just using screen "real estate". I guess, though, that flexibility is always good to have .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #18
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
There are times I would like to know the chapter I was in.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #19
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
I see what you mean now, yes. Thanks for the clarification. I'm really not sure why anyone would want to see the book title, mind you; it's just using screen "real estate". I guess, though, that flexibility is always good to have .
Yes but i think people just want the option to have it.
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #20
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For me, it's more of a replication of what a page in a book looks like. And if it's implemented like the clock display - option to turn on or off - then both of our POVs are represented!

ETA - If I close my Kindle or put it to sleep on the page I'm reading, and go a few weeks without reading, I could very possibly (and in my case very likely!) forget what book I'm actually reading. This isn't the case with a real book, thus the advantage of having book title/author in a heading area.

Last edited by 93terp; 02-05-2018 at 05:52 PM. Reason: additional text
Advert
Old 02-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #21
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poczynek View Post
Yes but i think people just want the option to have it.
Bingo!
Old 02-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #22
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rioachim View Post
In-book Clock: Now you can check the current time without leaving the page you're reading. Use the option in Display Settings (Aa) menu to display the clock.
They do seem to only implement features that no one is asking for.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:34 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Perhaps this is the first step toward having the option to turn on/off header that contains the book title? (I'm thinking of the UI in the Kobo Aura H2O as a comparison).
You’re thinking kepub, not the UI. ePub does not display a header.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:35 PM   #24
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Updated my Oasis's, or is it Oasises? Anywho, I have no use for the clock thing and I don't see anything else. Haven't tried search yet, also not something I needed improved. But I always want to stay up to date with upgrades so I do it.

I am still waiting for my status bar to come back. I know I know, until pigs fly.

Still looking for my Voyage. Who knows where I laid it down. That is why I never ever get black covers again. They blend into dark things.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #25
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
One new feature in this firmware that isn't mentioned in the "What's new" is support for dictionaries for Indic languages.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:45 AM   #26
rioachim
Enthusiast
rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: PW2
What I don't get is why placing the clock middle-top? The default corner location was too far away? I'm sending them some feedback at kindle-feedback@amazon.com
rioachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #27
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
They do seem to only implement features that no one is asking for.
Yes, they do!!!
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #28
beninma
Enthusiast
beninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Various Kindles, iPad
I'm hoping this FW update eliminates some odd behavior I've been seeing where page turns don't turn a full screen. (7" Oasis)

It's incredibly disorienting. You flip the page and it's moved forward 1/3 of a page and you're all disoriented. I've seen it in the last 2 books I've read.

I'm not sure I really care about any of the stuff they're publicly talking about.

But if there really is a page turn bug that's so serious it'd be embarrassing for them to admit. I've had a ton of e-readers and never seen this behavior before, it's probably the worst bug (short of a crash) that I've seen.
beninma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #29
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
They have also improved the content error reporting facility to divide it more logically into typos and other types of report. Not a change I sought particularly, but quite useful.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #30
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
I'm hoping this FW update eliminates some odd behavior I've been seeing where page turns don't turn a full screen. (7" Oasis)

It's incredibly disorienting. You flip the page and it's moved forward 1/3 of a page and you're all disoriented. I've seen it in the last 2 books I've read.

I'm not sure I really care about any of the stuff they're publicly talking about.

But if there really is a page turn bug that's so serious it'd be embarrassing for them to admit. I've had a ton of e-readers and never seen this behavior before, it's probably the worst bug (short of a crash) that I've seen.
Interesting I have not seen the issues with the page turns. I wonder if it has something to do with the books, or the formats of the books.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote