Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #1
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
Tried rooting Nook Tablet..

8 GB, Model BNTV250A, Version 1.4.3 using this method in video:

But was not able to get the the "box" on my screen (as in video). So, I only got halfway.

Here are the two error messages I get after last step and reboot before box is supposed to show on screen:

1. Nook encountered a problem that requires a system restart (I click "ok")
2. Then after I click "ok" I get this message:
Your Nook could not restart. Please Try again later. Or contact Customer Support.

Does anyone here know what I might have done wrong, or maybe a much better way to do the rooting?

I'd appreciate any help/direction, thanks in advance, Denise
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:20 PM   #2
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Update: I got it, just following the video. Had to go through the steps twice before it worked right. If anyone needs help, I "might" be able to give some tips on this. I am so glad I can have all my apps I love, especially overdrive, on my larger Nook Tablet as I really don't like the Fire Tablet 7" much. It will be an extra I use, or loan friends that come over etc.
Advert
Old 02-16-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
abbynormal52
Groupie

Found out in the case of my particular Nook Tablet, that the video was not the best, by a long shot so I have a link to what I believe is the right way, although, I am still working on it myself:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2692403
Old 02-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbynormal52 View Post
Found out in the case of my particular Nook Tablet, that the video was not the best, by a long shot so I have a link to what I believe is the right way, although, I am still working on it myself:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2692403
I'd suggest you first take a look at this XDA post https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2575489 which has an explanation of rooting vs. using custom ROM (such as CyanogenMod).

If you decide to pursue the custom ROM route, be aware that CM11 is dated and you should be looking for CM13 or LN14.x in which case the process described in the XDA link you had found is still valid but you'll need to find the right corresponding version of ROM, GApps as well as TWRP recovery zip files.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #5
abbynormal52
Groupie

Ok, I will take a look at the link you gave me, but also, the same person that gave me this link and suggested the CM11 said he had the same Nook Tablet I did, and the newer 13 was to much for the NT.

I appreciate your feedback though, and I guess I'll have to dig a bit deeper denise
Advert
Old 02-17-2017, 05:06 PM   #6
abbynormal52
Groupie

Oh yes, I have read the risks and know that I could end up with a "dead" NT but I'm up for trying it. I just want to make sure I do the steps right, and then of course, they work
Old 02-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
For folks reading this that want a custom ROM on their Nook Tablet, but don't want to go through all of the rooting and installing on internal memory which may be too advanced or risky for some, you can always buy or make your own N2A (Nook 2 Android) card and bypass the internal software all together.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:54 PM   #8
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
For folks reading this that want a custom ROM on their Nook Tablet, but don't want to go through all of the rooting and installing on internal memory which may be too advanced or risky for some, you can always buy or make your own N2A (Nook 2 Android) card and bypass the internal software all together.
Wow, this is amazing, just heard back from my friend at XDA Developers, and he was telling me about something that sounded like this!! It's so good to know there are folks here that know about this stuff! I'll paste in his note and I know you'll understand it better than I did He knew I was working hard to figure out what to do about my Nook.

"OK, you need to take a breath and stop. I've just come away from another thread in which the poster decried the disappearance of all the Cyanogenmod stuff. I knew they had died but I didn't realize everything would disappear so fast...

That means you need to source the most critical component from somewhere. One option is a new post on this board for the critical files. There is also a fellow who was developing his own related ROMs, both internal and SD card versions. I'll search for that and add it to this post in a bit."

I want that AnemicOak, can you send me a link or give me further directions on doing this? My Nook just needs a little "updating" is all, and I do love it, way better than my new Fire Tablet, although I use the Fire, if I can get my Nook fixed up, I am for that being my #1 Tablet. I payed 199.00 for it in 2012 or so, and bought a beautiful book cover for it, and the size, and well, just like it so much
Old 02-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #9
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I want that AnemicOak, can you send me a link or give me further directions on doing this? My Nook just needs a little "updating" is all, and I do love it, way better than my new Fire Tablet, although I use the Fire, if I can get my Nook fixed up, I am for that being my #1 Tablet. I payed 199.00 for it in 2012 or so, and bought a beautiful book cover for it, and the size, and well, just like it so much
If you're interest in the dated CM11, see https://iamafanof.wordpress.com/category/nook-tablet-2/ for the CM11 ROM by XDA developer succulent which is available as internal EMMC builds as well as SD-image builds (there is no need to pay for the N2A variety which is basically a rip-off re-packaging of the CM open-source community's work).

Last edited by livramax; 02-18-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #10
abbynormal52
Groupie

I will go take a look livramax. I don't have a lot to spend, so if I feel this is working "now" for others, I am willing to try it.

My Nook Tablet is BNTV250A, Version 1.4.3, and 8 GB. Is that also known as a Nook 2?

Thank you much, off to visit the link denise
Old 02-18-2017, 04:17 PM   #11
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
If you're interest in the dated CM11, see https://iamafanof.wordpress.com/category/nook-tablet-2/ for the CM11 ROM by XDA developer succulent which is available as internal EMMC builds as well as SD-image builds (there is no need to pay for the N2A variety which is basically a rip-off re-packaging of the CM open-source community's work).
I don't see anything posted that's newer than 2013 and at XDA, they are saying that you can't get the cyanogenmods now. Did you see what the guy said to me at XDA? Maybe I am not understanding, but if XDA says they aren't available now, wouldn't they be the ones that know?
Old 02-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #12
livramax
Addict

Quote:
I don't see anything posted that's newer than 2013 and at XDA, they are saying that you can't get the cyanogenmods now. Did you see what the guy said to me at XDA? Maybe I am not understanding, but if XDA says they aren't available now, wouldn't they be the ones that know?
Since the demise of CyanogenMod (https://www.xda-developers.com/the-d...or-the-future/) the portal for downloading CM ROM no longer exists. If you're looking for a more recent CM13 ROM zip file I'd suggest that you post in a thread such as https://forum.xda-developers.com/noo...claim-t3294804 in the off-chance that someone there might still have a copy on their PC they would be willing to upload and share.

Also, AFAIK, XDA developer succulent was the source of all the SD-based ROM builds for CM10/11 that came into existence, so the CM10/11 builds on his portal (at the link I had provided) are the latest/likely final build versions for CM10/11 to be had.

Last edited by livramax; 02-18-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #13
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
Since the demise of CyanogenMod (https://www.xda-developers.com/the-d...or-the-future/) the portal for downloading CM ROM no longer exists. If you're looking for a more recent CM13 ROM zip file I'd suggest that you post in a thread such as https://forum.xda-developers.com/noo...claim-t3294804 in the off-chance that someone there might still have a copy on their PC they would be willing to upload and share.

Also, AFAIK, XDA developer succulent was the source of all the SD-based ROM builds for CM10/11 that came into existence, so the CM10/11 builds on his portal (at the link I had provided) are the latest/likely final build versions for CM10/11 to be had.
The guy told me he tried the 13 and it was too much for his Nook so he went back to 11, something like that so that's why I wanted to try the 11, no later than that. Thanks by the way. As I'm sure you can tell, I am totally new at learning about rooting, and the cm's.

So you're saying I can't get the 10/11 at all unless I find someone willing to share their with me, send me a copy etc. Ok, I think I understand. I'm starting to think, depending on "the" cost, I should purchase something instead. Maybe I'll check out costs at leasts. These aren't to root your Nook though are they. Thanks again, denise
Old 03-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #14
abbynormal52
Groupie

Anyone know about this Lineage OS that is the successor for Cyanogenmod? Here's what it's about:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lineage

I'm still trying to find out if this would work with my Nook Tablet so if anyone has used it, would love to hear how you are doing so far?

Also, AnemicOak, I would like to know if you could point out any directions on building that "card" for my Nook, the N2A? Wondering if that's something I could do or not Thanks much, denise
Old 03-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Also, AnemicOak, I would like to know if you could point out any directions on building that "card" for my Nook, the N2A? Wondering if that's something I could do or not Thanks much, denise
I'll post some links, however I have no idea if all of the files needed to make these kind of cards are available any more since CM is DOA.

The commercial N2A cards you could buy were from here, but I have no idea if he still sells pre-made cards. It looks like he still may sell images that can be put on your own card, but frankly as old as the hardware of the Nook Tab is I don't really think it's worth spending money on an image to run an old version of Android (4.4).
https://www.n2acards.com/nook-tablet-mail-or-download

Here is a post on creating your own card...
https://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2012...r-nook-tablet/

Quote:
Anyone know about this Lineage OS that is the successor for Cyanogenmod? Here's what it's about:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lineage
It doesn't appear that they have builds for any Nook hardware on their download pages.

I doubt they're working with older versions of Android and the Nook Tab hardware is quite old (released in 2011) and isn't going to run a newer version of Android very well.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote