Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #1036
mrgatto96
mrgatto96 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Well, I did say you needed to find out what was wrong with it before you tried doing that.

It is spare parts now, except for the flash chip, which is now bad.
I can't do anything? I appreciate your help and experience but you also said the at worst nothing would have happened (i'm not blaming you)
mrgatto96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #1037
mrgatto96
mrgatto96 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Well, I did say you needed to find out what was wrong with it before you tried doing that.

It is spare parts now, except for the flash chip, which is now bad.
So I can't do anything?
mrgatto96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #1038
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgatto96 View Post
So I can't do anything?
I do not know how it can be: "stuck in USB mode" - -

Displaying user USB storage is a computed function (not hardwired), so the Kindle must be running, not "stuck".

All I can suggest is that it is now used, spare, parts.

It is strange how the device could still have 3.0.anything on it after so many years.
It had to be in storage somewhere, which most likely means that the battery does not have any storage capacity to speak of.

Causing writes to the eMMC while the battery does not have the capacity to power the eMMC until it completes its internal operations causes the eMMC to self-destruct.

Its parts now.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:09 PM   #1039
fennectech
Connoisseur
fennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Clara E2, Kindle 4 Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Yes.

Quote from first post (emphasis added):

To get a completely "factory fresh" device:
1. perform a factory reset on the device.
2. Plug it to the computer and delete everything on the Kindle disk.
3. Use Kubrick, and check the option to wipe the internal data partition, and to reinstall the TTS files.
DONT DO NUMBER 2 on devices with TTS you will render tts unusable and i garentee you it is a bitch to find a copy of that folder
fennectech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:39 AM   #1040
tinbilly
tinbilly began at the beginning.

Device: koa
Could I use Kubrick on a Kindle Oasis? Many thanks!
tinbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #1041
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is it mentioned in the title that describes what this is for?

Short answer: NO.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:41 PM   #1042
camper2283
camper2283 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch D01200
Hello all, I'm a bit lost and need some guidance.

I am using Kubrick on a Kindle Touch D01200. First, a history of the device. One day it froze on the needs charged screen, I didn't want to deal with it so I let it sit in a drawer for a couple years. Recently, I bought a new battery for it, installed it, let it charge for a few days, and got it to boot up (sort of). It boots into Whitney diagnostic utilities.

Great. So I found Kubrick and am attempting to use it. I made a thumb drive boot device and am using that on real hardware (not a virtual machine). It gets into fastboot, appears to flash the diagnostic successfully, then reboots back into diagnostics. At this point Kubrick wants me to enable USBnet, and I follow the on screen instructions. However this is where I have a hangup. It never detects it at this point.

I am at a loss of what to do, any guidance? Any further information that would be helpful?
camper2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:54 AM   #1043
knc1
Going Viral

Is that really a D012 model?
Or a typo'd B012?
Old 04-02-2017, 02:09 AM   #1044
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
He might be reporting the (fake) model number printed on the back of the case?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:12 AM   #1045
camper2283

Should I have listed the serial # instead? If so, it is:
B011... (would listing the whole thing help?)
Old 04-02-2017, 05:33 AM   #1046
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The model number that we use is either the first 4 (or 6 for some models) characters of the serial number. So yes, B011 helps.

According to this wiki page, it is what we call a K5:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Kubrick is the right tool for a K5. For USBnet to work, you need to set your PC IP address correctly (according to the kubrick instructions).

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-02-2017 at 05:37 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #1047
camper2283

Somehow, I am missing that in the instructions. Where does it talk about setting the IP address on the PC? I apologize in advance if I am just being blind and missing it x.x
Old 04-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #1048
cluboy
cluboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Tell me please, there is Kindle 5 (grey), firmware 4.0.1 (no jails, etc.)
Everything was fine, but one day the book started freeze.

How it is manifested: the translation of the impression, the book does not respond at all to pressing. When you press the power button, it lights up and almost immediately goes out, nothing happens on the screen.

What I tried:
1) press Power for 30 seconds - in the end I get a reboot, it passes, then I see 2 standard books, still not responding to the keys, then in a couple of minutes - my books appear.
2) press Power 30sec + Home button before the loader appearance - everything is the same as in paragraph 1. What is surprising, since It seems like it should delete all the books!
3) When the book is active, connecting it to a PC, it sees it as an inaccessible flash drive. If you repeat step 1 or 2 and connect the wire at boot time, it will be detected as a flash drive and the screen will show charging.
So I was able to fill in the firmware file 4.1.0 on the book.

Next, I found that the screen responds to the keys, sometimes you need to wait 1-2 minutes, sometimes (a couple of actions) can be made like the norms of the book.

Having discovered this, I tried to do 2 things:
4) Update Your Kindle - the update starts, but almost immediately shows that it failed, reboots and everything is the same as it was.
5) Through the menu item to make a Full Reset (with the removal of everything), did - but everything remains the same as in paragraph 1!

And in fact, if you look at the book as a flash drive, inside there are folders with a bunch of books, nothing was deleted.

What else did I try:
6) Delete books one by one (waiting between clicks for 1-4 minutes). I deleted 1 book, then the second, then everything hung - I reboot - and get all deleted books in place!

By the way, often, the only living element of the book on the screen is the loader in the upper left corner. It's spinning)

7) I tried to check for a flash drive error - I did not find any errors in Windows. Errors of errors + to correct the broken sectors - here the check seems to hang at the very end.

Tried through a USB flash drive + Kubrick 3.6.
I reach the step where the book should be re-loaded and enter the diagnostic mode. But, after the reboot, the diagnostic mode is not displayed on the screen, but charging of the device and the inscription that charging does not occur are shown!

I loaded the book for 24 hours, the battery was not charged, and tried to repeat the procedure, the result is similar.

What do I do wrong?
What can be with the book?
How can I check the memory of the book?

Thank you!

Last edited by cluboy; 04-26-2017 at 05:18 PM.
cluboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:57 PM   #1049
knc1
Going Viral

Using the power button to trigger a reboot (restart) will not cause anything to be deleted.

It is the "Reset" option that causes all books to be deleted.

Don't try to "fix" a Kindle USB drive using Windows filesystem tools.
The partition and format of the Kindle is special and one not (normally) supported by Windows.
It has alignment requirements based on the start of the device and you can only see part of the device over the USB cable.

The controller in the flash chip has failed.
Usually by doing something that causes a lot of writes while the battery charge is very low.

It is spare parts now (except for the bad motherboard).
Old 04-26-2017, 07:16 PM   #1050
cluboy
cluboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
knc1
Thank you for answer!

I checked Kindle with help program Flash Drive Tester and it:
http://joxi.net/9E2pndf9YBDBrY.jpg

Fatal read error!

There are no options for resurrection?

Last edited by cluboy; 04-26-2017 at 07:28 PM.
cluboy is offline   Reply With Quote