Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 01:45 AM   #1
readerhead
readerhead began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
After due diligence saw first reader today

So I got all excited about ereaders in general after realizing the potential advantages. Primarily (to me) the adjustable font size for older eyes, the TTS feature for versatility when travelling, and the eink non backlit display. So I was presold on the Kindle 3.

Off to BestBuy to see them for the first time. They had the Kindle, Nooks and Sony. The salesteenager had apparently not received any training and the Nook B&W on display was non functional so I was kind of on my own.

My first reaction to the Kindle was that the display was good but not great. Then I tried turning a page. The display flickered, went black and then refreshed in what I thought was an awkward at best transition. I hated it.
Liked the Sony better but it had the same issue. Couldn't try the Nook B&W and kind of skipped over the Nook color as too expensive. My daughter took me over to the IPads - nice but a backlit LCD and another major price jump.

After dropping her off at her new part time job (waving in Statue of Liberty costume) I proceeded to Barnes and Noble. They had an in store booth with a guy who at least knew more than me. Tried the B&W - same distracting refresh issue. Now the color - hmm, its a beauty and then he showed me the night mode (gray or black background, white letters). Cool, and much less eyestrain issue (to me) as there are no glaring white areas. Tried the web browser - yes it really works, mobile and full sites.

Still, TTS is big for me and totally NA at the moment. He says it has a speaker and a new app store is coming next month - so maybe.

OK, here's the clincher: 2 week trial period, no restocking charge. I retreat to the Chiles happy hour for a beer and a think. Hey, whats to worry!

So I get it home, charge it up and cool, it sees my router wifi. Off we go to try downloading my first "free" book. Woops, cannot download free without credit card - should have warned you about that. Worse than that I realize there is a screen defect: about 1/3 down and 5/8" from the left side there is a bright white spot that won't go away. Missing pixels? I don't know.

So here the drama pauses here to see what happens next. I think I love it yet it is not perfect (sounds familiar). I assume I could exchange it, although I'd prefer a big discount and just live with it. It is annoying and glaring when not in a content covered area but disappears in an inked area.

To be continued....
readerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The black "flash" when you turn a page is common to all eInk devices. Don't give it a second thought: after using the device for an hour your brain will filter it out and you won't even consciously be aware of it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 04:03 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by readerhead View Post
Worse than that I realize there is a screen defect: about 1/3 down and 5/8" from the left side there is a bright white spot that won't go away. Missing pixels? I don't know.
The nook Colour is an LCD screen. This sounds like a dead pixel to me. It won't get better. I'd take it back, especially if you prefer to use it in white on black mode.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:26 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The nook Colour is an LCD screen. This sounds like a dead pixel to me. It won't get better. I'd take it back, especially if you prefer to use it in white on black mode.
Just for the sake of accuracy, a "dead pixel" is a permanently black pixel. A permanently white pixel is referred to as a "hot pixel". They are very common on LCD displays, and a single dead/hot pixel will not normally be a valid reason for exchange. Eg Toshiba, on their laptops, specify that anything up to half a dozen dead or hot pixels fall within normal manufacturing tolerance.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:20 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
a single dead/hot pixel will not normally be a valid reason for exchange.
Luckily,
Quote:
Originally Posted by readerhead View Post
2 week trial period, no restocking charge.
I think readerhead should take it back. Even if a colourNook turns out to be what suits them best, one with a hot (thanks!) pixel is best avoided.

I do agree with you that the page-turn flash on eInk very quickly becomes a non-issue. I just don't see it anymore when reading.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 05:36 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
readerhead

Welcome to Mobileread .... with a nice tale - as has already been said the refresh on the eink devices is something that you'll notice at first and then forget about - a-kin to noticing when you turn the page of a paper book.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
also to totally rule out anything else beside a hot or dead pixel, get a microfiber clothe and rub the crap out the screen. When that is first unboxed the screen is very "sticky" with static from the plastic covering. It's like a magnet for any particles. I thought the same thing and it ended up just being a white spec.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
also to totally rule out anything else beside a hot or dead pixel, get a microfiber clothe and rub the crap out the screen. When that is first unboxed the screen is very "sticky" with static from the plastic covering. It's like a magnet for any particles. I thought the same thing and it ended up just being a white spec.
And if it ends up being a pixel just do a quick swap out.

Yeah the nook color is a beauty
Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
readerhead,

The Nook Color is a tablet. It has been locked on purpose to provide a customized UI and experience, but main input/output is an LCD touch screen with a virtual keyboard, means, a tablet. You will not get that "transition" between pages because is no eink.

If you are looking for a device that you can use indoors mainly, your reading sessions are short and battery life is not a problem, you will be happy with the NC. NC is also good if you like magazines because you can enjoy them at full color.

Sony, Kindle, Kobo, among others are dedicated ereaders. They have eink display and battery life of weeks instead of hours. They have pros and cons, and support different ebook formats but they all have one thing in common: eink screen. To me (and many other customers here and around the world) eink is the closest reading experience to a regular pbook. It reads natural and the device is so light and comfortable that you can read for hours without eye or hand fatigue.

By the way, that short transition period when turning pages will be history once you use an eink device for several hours; it will be something as natural as changing pages in a regular paper book.

Last edited by jocampo; 01-26-2011 at 07:06 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #10
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
I guess any thread that has someone enjoying their Nook COLOR would be incomplete without jocampo chiming in with his NC hate. The OP said LESS EYESTRAIN for him/her with an LCD which means perfectly long reading sessions if he/she desires so your "longer reading sessions with e-ink" stuff is getting old.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
I guess any thread that has someone enjoying their Nook COLOR would be incomplete without jocampo chiming in with his NC hate. The OP said LESS EYESTRAIN for him/her with an LCD which means perfectly long reading sessions if he/she desires so your "longer reading sessions with e-ink" stuff is getting old.
I think I do have the same right like you to provide my opinion and comments.
If you don't like them, sorry for you.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #12
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
I was thinking the EXACT samething. It's almost becoming comical.
I think I have reached the rolling of eyes phase, just waiting for the blatent lies to come out, but his last one was rather tame in comparison to some of his masterpieces of distortions.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:28 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Hey guys....calm....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:08 AM   #14
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I was thinking the EXACT samething. It's almost becoming comical.
I think I have reached the rolling of eyes phase, just waiting for the blatent lies to come out, but his last one was rather tame in comparison to some of his masterpieces of distortions.
In defense of jocampo, I honestly don't think he blatantly lies, it's just that his opinions are, shall we say, somewhat "Color"ed...
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There is an ignore feature at this site. If someone bothers you, ignore them. It is easy enough to do and adds a great deal of calm to your day.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote