Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-25-2018, 07:07 PM   #16
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
So, here's the latest clue (in case anyone is still interested in this puzzle):

After I side-load new books, and the shelves disappear, when I try to re-create one of the old shelves, I get the "Unfortunately NOOK has stopped" error.

If I add the books to a shelf with a different name, and then try to change the name of the shelf back to the old name, I get "another shelf by that name exists." Aha! Could it be that the previously created shelves exist? Could they be recovered somehow? (I'm sure I don't know how!)

It's only after the NOOK is synched that the lost shelves are truly cleared, and another shelf with one of the old names can be created.

Any thoughts?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #17
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I worked with the Glowlight 3 some more this weekend. First I side-loaded a batch of epubs and all my shelves survived! That was a pleasant surprise.

So I tried again, and sure enough, the second batch of book added wiped out all the shelves. So it's fair to call this an intermittent problem.

B&N customer service via email was no help whatsoever. I haven't had time to try to engage one of them in a chat, but I suspect it won't be worth the time.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:25 PM   #18
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
Me, too, goshdagnabbit

Nook Glowlight 3; Mac 10.9.5; Calibre; three different USB cables.

Same problems described above with failures to retain sideloaded files and shelves, and it's slowly getting worse. I'm suspecting there's a hardware problem here -- maybe the USB socket wears out, or maybe there's a flaw in the USB chip firmware.

Or maybe they're quietly "improving" the OS unannounced, and screwing up?

At this point, when I plug a USB cable into the Mac then into the Noon -- the Nook does not recognize it at all. No offer to connect. Nothing on the desktop. "About This Mac" USB panel does not show the Nook at all, which it used to do up til last night.

_________
Aha. Tried a fourth USB cable just now. It took about 5 minutes then the Nook appeared on the Mac desktop. I did not get the little box offering to connect, it just connected.

Hmmm. This is the _first_ time that "About This Mac" info window, after a refresh, shows the "Volumes" storage info for the Nook rather than just the info on the USB chip.

Here:

BNRV520:

Product ID: 0x000b
Vendor ID: 0x2080
Version: 99.99
Serial Number: 5074410061473169
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: BarnesAndNoble
Location ID: 0xfd120000 / 4
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 2
Capacity: 5.91 GB (5,907,574,272 bytes)
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: Yes
BSD Name: disk1
Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
Volumes:
NOOK:
Capacity: 5.9 GB (5,896,999,936 bytes)
Available: 5.72 GB (5,718,405,120 bytes)
Writable: Yes
File System: MS-DOS FAT32
BSD Name: disk1s1
Mount Point: /Volumes/NOOK
Content: Windows_FAT_32

Last edited by hank; 01-30-2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: yet another again
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:32 PM   #19
hank
Dinosaur

Hmmm. So for the Glow3 -- I have a "My Files" folder containing nothing _except_ a "Books" folder. Is that right?

When I look at the Nook as mounte on the Mac desktop, all my sideloaded books appear in the "Books" folder, except the 2 books I paid BN for which don't appear at all on the Nook, nor on the Mac desktop, nor even in the BN website "my library" which is empty.

Empty, empty, empty.

Any of the Nook programming team reading this? Or can they be found anywhere else?

Last edited by hank; 01-30-2018 at 12:42 PM. Reason: fnord
Old 01-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #20
hank
Dinosaur

Now I'm getting

"Unable to Download ... Internal Error
Invalid EAN
"

when I try to open archived books.

Help, my EAN is invalid. WTF???

Ejected the Nook from the Mac desktop. Its volume info disappeared from the "About" list, leaving only the info about the USB chip.

But the Nook thinks it's still connected to the desktop!
Helloooo, programmers ....
here's the Mac seeing the USB chip but not seeing the Nook as a volume:

BNRV520:
Product ID: 0x000b
Vendor ID: 0x2080
Version: 99.99
Serial Number: 5074410061473169
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: BarnesAndNoble
Location ID: 0xfd120000 / 4
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 2
---------below this is where the Volume info would appear--------------

Last edited by hank; 01-30-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:45 PM   #21
hank
Dinosaur

And finally, I just unplugged the USB.
No error messages this time, and one of the two books I paid BN for can be read.
No sign of the second paid book, yet.
No luck with the sideloaded books, still the note they will "be downloaded later"

EDIT, the second paid book reappeared an hour later.
Still no access to the sideloaded books, all saying "will be downloaded later" as though they were paid BN books. Confused about the source, I guess, or the programmers figure anything in the directory has to be paid from BN. ??

Last edited by hank; 01-30-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:02 PM   #22
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
But the Nook thinks it's still connected to the desktop!
This (I think) is our problem. The PC (and perhaps the MAC also) thinks it has safely ejected the NOOK, but the NOOK does not agree. The NOOK is digesting all the material we have side-loaded onto it... SLOWLY. It seems to be important not to interrupt this process.

Evidence? Some of us have observed the cover thumbnails of our side-loaded books flashing past (batch by batch) in the "New & Recent in my Library" section (top pane of the home screen) after ejecting the NOOK. (Not just the newly added books, mind, but ALL the side-loaded material!) DO NOT unplug the NOOK while it is doing this work. My hunch is that is when the data is corrupted.

Just guesswork, of course.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:15 AM   #23
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Here's a new twist. I turned the NOOK Glowlight 3 off. When I turned it back on, my side loaded epubs marched past, rank by rank, in the 'New & Recent in My Library' section, and, sure enough, all the shelves had disappeared.

So, since the NOOK had not been connected to a computer, we can eliminate the PC / MAC as the cause. This is definitely something to do with the way the NOOK handles these side loaded files. And it is intermittent, since I have powered the NOOK down on other occasions without losing the shelves.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:53 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I don't use shelves, so I can't commiserate. But boy, I hope B&N puts some spit and polish into any future firmware updates.

I love the hardware. I like the reading experience. But the rest of the O/S is subpar.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #25
NoMoAggro
NoMoAggro began at the beginning.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Disappearing Shelves on NGL3

I've got a similar problem. I create a new shelf, name it, save it, put (sideloaded) books on it and everything is fine (most of the time). If I shut it down for the night and restart it the next day, no more shelves. The books are still there, but no shelves. Most of the time I can create a new shelf with the same name. Once in a while it will tell me a shelf with that name already exists. Occasionally, when trying to save a shelf I've just created, I'll get the Your Nook Has Stopped message. After totally non-productive *tech support* over the phone, I wound up bringing it into my local B&N retail store. The clerk who waited on me saw the problem. He phoned someone at his company and they said the same thing happened to them with two different units. They took my email address and assured me that they would contact me to let me know the progress of their *bug* repair. Well, next thing I know I get an email basically telling me that I'm nuts and I should call tech support and they'd walk me through it. I figured I'd give it another shot and call them. To hear advice like *have you unarchived the books?* Didn't I just tell you the books are all sideloaded? I surrender. I guess I will have to live with the aggravation. The important thing is I can load books to the Nook and read them. It would have been nice to have shelves to play around with though. The aggravating part is telling them they've got a bug and getting nowhere.
NoMoAggro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:10 AM   #26
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Hello NoMo,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

As B&N makes no money on our side-loading, I doubt they're going to work on a solution to the shelves.

An alternative to shelves would be to use the search function from the home screen. This works nicely, by author or any word in the title.

If you want to keep your shelves just do not turn the unit off. There is no practical reason to turn the NOOK off overnight. Once it goes into screen saver it uses almost zero battery. (Be sure to turn the wifi off!)

Aside from the shelving issue, I am enjoying my Glowlight 3. Currently I have over 500 side-loaded epubs, and since B&N removed the memory partition there is virtually no limit to the ultimate size of this pocket library!
Old 02-09-2018, 12:45 AM   #27
NoMoAggro
NoMoAggro began at the beginning.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
I figured out just letting it sleep rather than shutting it down. Finding books isn't a problem. I load a dozen at a time from iBooks on my Mac onto my Nook and when they're all read, delete them and load another dozen. It's just aggravating that there's a company with a problem with one of its products and no way to let them know. And their phone support is a joke. If it wasn't more than double the price, I would have gotten the Kobo Aura one.
NoMoAggro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #28
avara
avara began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
I have the same problem
I have tried many solutions, change the folder, use NOOK for PC, use Caliber, directly put my epubs from PC is the same.
It has happened to me of everything, beginning with the missing Shelves but also corruption in the epubs, disappearance of everything when reboot ...including sometimes corruption in the folders that i can see in y PC..
What do I do to survive?
In all the shelves I put the guide or some other document of NOOK
I put the books from Calibre with an option of not creating folders.
I will cry for my 100 dollars lost and buy another ereader that will read slower but it will leave me calm
Oh I have had the two previous NOOKs. The first one went crazy at three years old and the next one always worked perfectly but I had an accident and it was almost unusable
I never thought that the third one would give me these problems
avara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:06 PM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by avara View Post
Oh I have had the two previous NOOKs. The first one went crazy at three years old and the next one always worked perfectly but I had an accident and it was almost unusable
I never thought that the third one would give me these problems
My old Nook STwG still runs fine. I don't think I've ever had issues with it. I suspect the firmware of the Glowlight 3 is just very glitchy. Hopefully it will be fixed with an update. But with the latest B&N rumors, who knows?
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #30
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

The problem seems to be with the software that was introduced with the NOOK Glowlight Plus (the bronze-back tabletish one). That software seems to have changed very little as it exists on the (newer) Glowlight 3.