Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Missing Image files

"When the KOBO processes a book it creates 4 image files that it uses for sleep/power covers, Library thumbnail, etc.
They are sized(in pixels), 355x530, 149x223, 60x90, and 120x186." Quote from another post.

I have two Kobo touches. One produces the four image files while the other only produces three of them. The large "sleep" image 355x530 is missing in all books in the images folder. Also called the LIBRARY_Full.parsed image.

I have factory reset and side loaded the books twice and still the same result. Any ideas?

Thanks
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconh View Post
"When the KOBO processes a book it creates 4 image files that it uses for sleep/power covers, Library thumbnail, etc.
They are sized(in pixels), 355x530, 149x223, 60x90, and 120x186." Quote from another post.

I have two Kobo touches. One produces the four image files while the other only produces three of them. The large "sleep" image 355x530 is missing in all books in the images folder. Also called the LIBRARY_Full.parsed image.

I have factory reset and side loaded the books twice and still the same result. Any ideas?

Thanks
I have noted that during my constant stress testing of the onboard memory that there is a limited number of image sets that get stored in the images folder.. If I read and delete 1 ebook that had cover images then the next 1 ebook I download during a Wifi sync has a cover and any others get blank covers. Similar situation for N number of ebooks with covers deleted, the next time I do a wifi sync the first N ebooks with covers will have images, the rest will end up with blank covers in the KT. Perhaps something similar is going on with your KTs.. Are they identical in Firmware and the space available?
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Same firmware on both 1.9.14.

Unit with all image files: image folder 666 MB. Free memory 761 MB. No blank covers.

Unit with missing image files: image folder 457 MB. Free memory 474 MB. This unit also has missing covers after whatever limit is imposed on the images folder.

Is there any way to increase the capacity limit on the images folder? There seems to be space. To bad the images could not be stored on the SD card.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
During my tests for my app. I have found out that having blank covers mean that there is either a badtag in the xhtml of the file, the file format is not the same has the extension or the size is bigger than around 2000 pixels in height. Also pretty often the FULL file is only created when you put it to sleep the first time.

I would suggest that you open your files in sigil to fix some bad formatted xhtml. Remembe that the kobo uses not only the cover file, but also the hole stylebthat is present in HTML and that can cause error.

By the way there is 5 files now 1 is 600 x 800 and is for the sleep cover.

Last edited by Nigol; 12-10-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
mconh
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
During my tests for my app. I have found out that having blank covers mean that there is either a badtag in the xhtml of the file, the file format is not the same has the extension or the size is bigger than around 2000 pixels in height. Also pretty often the FULL file is only created when you put it to sleep the first time.

I would suggest that you open your files in sigil to fix some bad formatted xhtml. Remembe that the kobo uses not only the cover file, but also the hole stylebthat is present in HTML and that can cause error.

By the way there is 5 files now 1 is 600 x 800 and is for the sleep cover.
There are only four image files plus the book. In one unit every single book, read or not, has the "sleep" file. The other Kobo has no "sleep" image files on any book.

It has nothing to do with the book files. The image covers stop being produced in the images folder after reaching a particular Author in the Alpha sort (for example all Authors after Rowland). It maxes out somehow.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:43 AM   #6
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
mconh,

Is this correct?
The unit with 666MB in the image folder works ok.
The unit with 457MB in the image folder has blank sleep/off covers.

What are the number of books on each device?
Are they the same books or different books?
Are all the books side-loaded or are there kepubs?
Do any of the kepubs have missing covers?
When you side-load books, how are the folders structured.
Are the 3 other files produced for the books with missing covers?

If the device with the larger image folder works OK then it seems there is some other factor at work here.

I haven't seen any posts that mention covers not being produced after a certain author. There are lots about incorrect covers however.

Larry
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
The image covers stop being produced in the images folder after reaching a particular Author in the Alpha sort (for example all Authors after Rowland). It maxes out somehow.
That sounds like a corrupted file in there somewhere. Even if the same file works fine on your other Kobo, something may have gotten scrambled in it on the broken kobo. If you can, try adding a number of that would come in below that author and see if it stops at the same spot or an earlier spot. If it's earlier that would suggest maxing out, if it's at the same author that would suggest a corrupted file.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
mconh
Connoisseur

Thank you all for your input.

It was a maxing out issue. Too many Books.

I was able to establish that it did not matter the size in MB of the Images folder but it did matter the number of image files. The unit maxes out at about 7500 files. After that no image files or covers are produced.

The solution for me was to Factory reset then delete all Social image files. This dropped the number of image files to three per book (Library full, grid, list.parsed). Then delete and re-add the books with no covers. Now all my covers show.

Is there a way to stop the social image files being produced or opt out of the process ( I deleted 1,700+ of them). I am assuming that it is related to face book which I want nothing to do with.

On one of my units even a bookshelf image file started to show up. What is that? I deleted them. At one point this unit had six image files per book!

Hugh
Old 12-13-2011, 12:56 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
What are social image files? How can I tell if I am infested, LOL?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
mconh
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
What are social image files? How can I tell if I am infested, LOL?
Plug you Kobo in to your computer and do a file search on the Kobo for "social".
I am sure you are infested.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The "social" files reside in the .kobo\images directory, and one of the numerous resolutions of covers that are produced per book during the updating of new content on the Kobo.

All told there can be (but these vary by model)
- iPhoneThumbnail.parsed 103 by 150
- bbMediumGridList.parsed 93 by 135
- NickelBookCover.parsed 500 by 725
- N3_LIBRARY_FULL.parsed 355 by 530
- N3_LIBRARY_GRID 149 by 233
- N3_LIBRARY_LIST.parsed 60 by 90
- N3_SOCIAL_CURRENTREAD.parsed 120 by 186
- N3_FULL.parsed 600 by 800

The Touch seems to only have N3 series of images.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
So, they are all covers. Makes sense to me, but what do I know.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
So, they are all covers. Makes sense to me, but what do I know.
Far more than you admit too knowing!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
mconh
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The "social" files reside in the .kobo\images directory, and one of the numerous resolutions of covers that are produced per book during the updating of new content on the Kobo.

All told there can be (but these vary by model)
- iPhoneThumbnail.parsed 103 by 150
- bbMediumGridList.parsed 93 by 135
- NickelBookCover.parsed 500 by 725
- N3_LIBRARY_FULL.parsed 355 by 530
- N3_LIBRARY_GRID 149 by 233
- N3_LIBRARY_LIST.parsed 60 by 90
- N3_SOCIAL_CURRENTREAD.parsed 120 by 186
- N3_FULL.parsed 600 by 800

The Touch seems to only have N3 series of images.
It does not make any sense to have FIVE different image files for a six inch screen. This is just a bit of overkill and clutter which bogs down the system with bloat. It is after all, supposed to be a dedicated, Ereader.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #15
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Quote:
It does not make any sense to have FIVE different image files for a six inch screen. This is just a bit of overkill and clutter which bogs down the system with bloat. It is after all, supposed to be a dedicated, Ereader.
Each of these cover images is displayed in different circumstances.

Library_Full is the thumbnail used for VIEW#1 of the library. One book only.
Library_Grid is used with VIEW#2 with six book covers.
LIbrary_List is used with VIEW#3, shows thumbnails, title, author and book type for five books.
Social_Currentread is the thumbnail that you see when you check your reading stats.

If you only have one thumbnail then it must be processed each time you need a thumbnail of a different size. This would slow down your library browsing quite a lot.

I would think that they could combine the Grid and Social thumbnails but they typically only use about 20k of space together.

Larry
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote