Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-02-2017, 03:24 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Thumbs up Free (Kindle) Dark Constellation by Alex Random [Vintage Sci-Fi Deep Space Thriller]

Dark Constellation by Alex Random, a pseudonym for British author Donald S. Rowland (ISFDB, SFE), is his vintage standalone science fiction thriller set in the midst of a war between Earth and reptilian alien invaders, this installment starring a spaceship crew on a secret mission to destroy the alien home planet, which might not make it there as mysterious happenings befall them on the way, leading to strange behaviour and sabotage and possible doom, free for a limited time courtesy of publisher Endeavour Press' Venture imprint.

This was originally published in 1975 by Robert Hale as part of their Hale SF line.

Currently free @ Amazon (available to Canadians & in the UK and pretty much everywhere else Amazon sells worldwide, since this is being done via their KDP Select exclusive-or-else program)

Description
Captain Greg Madison of the Trans-Solar Defense, is running a routine patrol with his crew when he has a strange encounter with the enemy.

The Deorcans were reptilian; ruthless invaders from beyond the Black Deeps, and they intended killing all known life forms throughout the Universes.

Then after thirty years of resource draining war, they finally lay down an ultimatum: Earth had to surrender or be destroyed by a missile that would cause the disintegration of the solar system!

While those back on Earth are navigating the surrender, Madison and his crew take aboard the Admiral with a secret mission.

They are making their way back to the Deorcan home planet to destroy it, or die trying, beginning a nightmare voyage to the Dark Constellation, home of the Deorcan home world.

When crew members start acting strangely and sabotage is discovered in the engines, Madison and the doctor begin to look for clues of this strange behavior. When crew members start seizing, they discover a connection between the strange behavior and physical ailments with an undetectable radiation, which literally causes people affected to go mad before dying.

As they traverse deep space and reach the edge of explored space, things continue to get more perilous and unexplainable.

The Dark Constellation sits in a place that they may not return from, but they push on in the hopes of their sacrifice saving those they left behind.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:46 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"Surrender will mean annihilation for every man, woman and child on Earth and the space colonies. We are doomed, Madison, and our only hope of survival is to destroy Deorca.”

I quite agree that they are doomed. They must - THEREFORE - destroy, kill, annihilate, burn, stab, shoot, and/or otherwise hang Deorca until he, it, or they are declared deceased.

In the meantime, I think I'll pick up this literary gem and take a peek inside.

-- Got it.

Thank you!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2017, 03:17 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Dark Constellation by Alex Random, a pseudonym for British author Donald S. Rowland (ISFDB, SFE), is his vintage standalone science fiction thriller set in the midst of a war between Earth and reptilian alien invaders...
David Icke was right all along!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've always liked this Teach the Controversy* parody t-shirt of Queen “Liz”, which I see is now available in Kids and Babies sizes, the better to fake!indoctrinate the kiddies for their lizard overlord future.

* I see they've updated with new designs since last I looked. I kind of want that GMO frankenfoods killer tomatoes one, but last I checked, the cost of shipping up to Canada was the truly scary thing.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:59 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
[B]

In the meantime, I think I'll pick up this literary gem and take a peek inside.

-- Got it.

Thank you!
Me too! Got it
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've always liked this Teach the Controversy* parody t-shirt of Queen “Liz”, which I see is now available in Kids and Babies sizes, the better to fake!indoctrinate the kiddies for their lizard overlord future.

* I see they've updated with new designs since last I looked. I kind of want that GMO frankenfoods killer tomatoes one, but last I checked, the cost of shipping up to Canada was the truly scary thing.
I have the UFOs building the pyramids one. But I've found in practice it takes a lot of explaining and I usually wind up with baffled looks.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard

^

Well, that design does make it look like the UFOs could be stealing blocks from the pyramids instead of placing them, so I can see how it might be confusing for reasons other than the usual conspiracy theory incoherency.

OTOH, given the latter, maybe the ambiguously interpretable design is like some sort of meta-commentary on that, and thus a satiric feature, not a bug?
Old 06-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
^

Well, that design does make it look like the UFOs could be stealing blocks from the pyramids instead of placing them, so I can see how it might be confusing for reasons other than the usual conspiracy theory incoherency.

OTOH, given the latter, maybe the ambiguously interpretable design is like some sort of meta-commentary on that, and thus a satiric feature, not a bug?
Mainly they aren't familiar with the phrase "Teach the Controvery" or what it relates to.

As to confusion of the UFOs and the pyramids, don't be ridiculous! Everyone knows UFOs built the pyramids. The Ancient Aliens guy told me so:

Old 10-13-2017, 01:19 PM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard

Now a repeat freebie, if you happened to miss it earlier.