Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-17-2016, 08:27 PM   #61
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Holy Land Ants by Jacob Ofer

Dr. Jacob Ofer is a former lecturer at the Seminar Hakibbutzim College.
He has researched ants in Israel over the course of many years and is internationally known for his research on the Weaver Ant.

Tuvia Kurtz is a famous Israeli illustrator, best known for his marvelous illustrations in the field of nature, science and education. He has also illustrated numerous Israeli stamps.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016GXMPVG/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016GXMPVG/
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B016GXMPVG/
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:34 PM   #62
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Holy Land Ants by Jacob Ofer

Dr. Jacob Ofer is a former lecturer at the Seminar Hakibbutzim College.
He has researched ants in Israel over the course of many years and is internationally known for his research on the Weaver Ant.

Tuvia Kurtz is a famous Israeli illustrator, best known for his marvelous illustrations in the field of nature, science and education. He has also illustrated numerous Israeli stamps.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016GXMPVG/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016GXMPVG/
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B016GXMPVG/
Interesting find. Thank you.

Some reading this post may not be aware that ants actually are mentioned in the Bible. They are mentioned in at least these two passages:
Prov. 6:6--"Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise . . . ."
Prov. 30:25--"The ants are not a strong people, But they prepare their food in the winter . . . ."
(NASB, 1995 update).

It seems to me that the same species of ants that are around in the Holy Land today would be the same species as in the Holy Land in the Proverbs writer's day
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2016, 04:25 AM   #63
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Interesting find. Thank you.

Some reading this post may not be aware that ants actually are mentioned in the Bible. They are mentioned in at least these two passages:
Prov. 6:6--"Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise . . . ."
Prov. 30:25--"The ants are not a strong people, But they prepare their food in the winter . . . ."
(NASB, 1995 update).

It seems to me that the same species of ants that are around in the Holy Land today would be the same species as in the Holy Land in the Proverbs writer's day
And if any were not, that would be interesting too.

I have had occasion to ding writers of historical novels for not realising things can change.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #64
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
If you fill out a survey for HarperCollins about how much you'd pay for a leather-bound reference Bible, then you can download a DRM-free PDF of Church History in Plain Language by Bruce L. Shelley.

Here's a link to the epub at B&N, where it's currently $20.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #65
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
If you fill out a survey for HarperCollins about how much you'd pay for a leather-bound reference Bible, then you can download a DRM-free PDF of Church History in Plain Language by Bruce L. Shelley.

Here's a link to the epub at B&N, where it's currently $20.
Thanks the post.

I got the same offer, did the survey, got the book.

I wanted to post information on this thread about the offer, but I assumed that the URL for the survey had a unique code in it just for me and that others couldn't use it. Tsk! Tsk!

The book is a really good one. It's a standard popular-level history of the church, now in its fourth edition. I just checked and it is rated 4.7 stars at Amazon, from 83 reviews.

About the survey . . . . as I usually find true with this sort of thing, the amount of time that it takes to complete it is somewhat more than the company producing it says that it will take. That is, if you are conscientious and actually take time to think about the questions and think about your answers. Allow at least 15 minutes.
Advert
Old 02-18-2016, 03:50 PM   #66
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
And if any were not, that would be interesting too.

I have had occasion to ding writers of historical novels for not realising things can change.
Yeah, interesting for scientific reasons. New species do arise over time.

The species of the ants is going to make little, if any, difference in understanding the points of the two Bible passages. I just like accuracy.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-18-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #67
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I wanted to post information on this thread about the offer, but I assumed that the URL for the survey had a unique code in it just for me and that others couldn't use it. Tsk! Tsk!
I wondered the same thing, but I checked to make sure I could take the survey more than once. Since it worked multiple times, I posted it. If HarperCollins gets a bunch of responses from Difflugia, then I guess it's up to them to sanitize their data.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:40 PM   #68
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

If you sign up for Zondervan Academic's blog's newsletter, you will get a free ebook.

The book is a "curated," "adapted" version of their book Genesis: History, Fiction, or Neither? Three Views on the Bible's Earliest Chapters. Hopefully, by "curated" and "adapted" they mean that it is a condensation or abridgment of the complete version. That could be truly useful.

At about 25 pages in length, it's more of a booklet than a book. It is in the pdf format.

The complete version gets pretty high marks. It is rated 4.1 stars, but from only 11 reviews, at Amazon. At GoodReads, it has about a 3.5 average rating, but from only 16 total ratings.

To sign up for the emails, go to Zondervan Academic's homepage or really just about any other one of their webpages and look for the signup information and form. if you scroll down to the very bottom of the homepage, you should see what you want just left of center. After you submit your information, you'll get a webpage with a link that you can click on to start the download immediately.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-20-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #69
Little.Egret
Wizard

If I knew more about predestination I could write this up better.

The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner (Xist Classics) by James Hogg

A famous classic

An enigmatic figure by the name of Gil-Martin convinces Robert that he is an Elect - a soul bound to go to Heaven no matter the deeds in life. How will Robert choose to live the rest of his days? As a pious and modest man waiting for his Heavenly reward or as an despotic, vile and sinful person?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BN2B6PQ/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BN2B6PQ/
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01BN2B6PQ/
Old 02-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #70
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

FREE Succinct, Quality Commentary on the Epistle to the Hebrews! Pdf Format.

I am always glad to run across a high-quality commentary on the Bible for free. They are hard to find.

I wasn't able to find any ratings or reviews from others on this one. So, I personally examined the book some. This succinct (169 pages is brief for a commentary on Hebrews!) commentary seems to hit all of the high points in the epistle. It looks to be a good one that has been well researched. The author, Ian Pennicook, has written many books. And, in addition to being the director of New Creation Teaching Ministry, he is (or was) Head of Theology at Tabor College's Sydney (Australia) campus.

Title: The Shadow and the Substance: A Commentary on the Letter to the Hebrews.
Format: Pdf.
Author(s): Ian Pennicook.
Publisher: New Creation Publications Inc.
Pages: xiii + 169.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews (Amazon): N/A.
Price: $0.00.
Lowest Price of physical copy: The book is out of print. The least expensive new copy that I could find is $4.89 AUD ($3.54 USD) at KooRong Books in Australia.
Book Description (from the back of the dustjacket):
. . .
The Letter to the Hebrews is a book that speaks about Jesus Christ and all that he has accomplished. Its aim was to encourage people who were in danger of giving way to the appeal of culture and to the pressures which came upon them.

It was written to a situation far removed from our own, yet the answers to the questions in the first century are still relevant to men and women of the twenty-first century. Jesus Christ in the new covenant confirmed by his death is the substance of all that was but shadow under the old covenant. And faith, now as then, knows the substance.

The writer has given us a simple summary of the Letter to the Hebrews. This work should be a valuable addition to other commentaries and will prove useful not only to thoughtful scholars and students but also to those whose aim is simply to get to the substance.

Comments: This book was offered and posted on the New Creation Teaching Ministry's website as a free download. I believe this to be a legal free download because of the fact that the author is (or was) the director of the New Creation Teaching Ministry, the organization which apparently succeeded the publisher of the book, New Creation Publications Inc.
URL: http://www.newcreationlibrary.net/bo..._Substance.pdf.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-22-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:42 PM   #71
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Zondervan has just released the volumes of their Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, Old Testament as ebooks. To mark the occasion, they are having a sale on all of the ebook volumes.

The price of each, through Sunday, February 27, is $4.99. I was able to access a partial list of what the Amazon digital (Kindle mobi) prices will be for these after the sale is over--those prices range from $9.99 to $19.99 each.

With these books having been available in physical form for some time already, there are some ratings and reviews around based upon the books in that format. Those ratings are generally excellent. Check Amazon and/or GoodReads (there are more ratings, and especially reviews, at Amazon than at GoodReads) for them.

Here is the sale webpage at Zondervan Academic, where you can get additional information.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #72
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

HarperCollins has another PDF for a survey deal. In exchange for filling out a survey about social media, you can download NIV Once-A-Day, 31 Days of Wisdom

The Names of God Bible by Ann Spangler is $2.39 at Christianbook and $2.99 at B&N. It's the God's Word translation with the "names of God" left as transliterated Hebrew or Greek words along with some devotional articles. I haven't been won over by the God's Word translation, but I do like reading out of Bibles that leave God's personal name as "Jehovah" or "Yahweh" rather than rendering it as "the LORD".

If you want to see how this edition can radically affect the understanding of a passage, read Genesis 14 and 17 from the sample. "El Elyon" and "El Shaddai" were epithets for the high god of the Canaanite pantheon and many translators have been uncomfortable with God identifying Himself by those names. That, coupled with the tradition of rendering "Yahweh" as "the LORD", means that the theological impact of "Yahweh El Elyon" in 14:22 is lost in the milquetoast English phrase "the LORD God most high".

If you want it from Amazon, it's currently just shy of $20. They'll sometimes match prices if enough people bug them, though.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #73
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Christianbook and Amazon (and maybe others) have Meredith's Complete Book of Bible Lists: A One-of-a-Kind Collection of Bible Facts on sale right now for $1.99.

Both the print list price and digital list price are $20.00, so this is a really nice savings (90%) over those benchmarks.

The book garners a 4.3 star (18) rating at Amazon; at GoodReads it is 4.8 (5).

The ebook is a Christianbook "Daily Deal," so the price may expire there at midnight Eastern time today. As for Amazon ???.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:18 PM   #74
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

Some Googling found another one of the HarperCollins survey/PDF things posted on Bible Gateway's Twitter feed. Complete this survey about the NIV and get a PDF copy of The Story.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:02 AM   #75
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Sign up for the Holman Christian Standard Bible website's monthly newsletter and you can receive a free pdf of Exalting Jesus in Exodus (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). You'll also be informed of more giveaways and updates.

This is a really valuable offer. This is a volume in the fairly new "Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary" series. The Amazon Kindle mobi is $9.99. And it's an xii + 244 page book.

Yes, I have a direct download link, but the HCSB website wants something in return from you. I'll honor their desires and not give that link out. Here's what you need to do to get the free ebook. Go to this webpage, submit your email address, and agree to receive the newsletters. Click on "submit." The webpage that appears has a link to the free download. Click on it. That's it!