Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Kobo Desktop App Never Works...Should I Stop Using It?

I bought a new book on the Kobo website last night. Then I loaded the desktop app to copy the book to my Kobo. Every time I do this (lately, it's been about once every few weeks) I get a message to install a new version of the Desktop App (ummm...how often do they update this thing???). AND, as usual, there was a problem with my new book appearing on my Kobo, even after I synched several times, deleted the book from my desktop APP and then re-syching again and again.

This happened to me a few weeks ago when I bought a book, so then I decided to side-load it through ADE, and then my Kobo crashed (everything on the Kobo disappeared) and I had to do a factory re-set.

This time, I figured side-loading my new book was the only choice, so I got brave and sideload it again (this time, I logged out and closed the desktop app prior to that, in the hopes that I wouldn't have to do another factory reset).

I downloaded/opened my book directly from the Kobo bookstore/website into ADE and then copied it into my Kobo from there - and it worked. Phew!

So - the real question here: Should I do this every single time and just skip the Kobo desktop app? It seems SOOOO unstable and causes problems each time I use it!!! Let me know what you think!

Last edited by pokee; 10-11-2011 at 12:36 PM.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I see you have a kobo wifi - can you not download the book wirelessly?
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

I gave up on downloading wirelessly a while ago, because my Kobo kept having difficulties with my encryption code for my router, and it would take me a while to get it to work/troubleshoot it. I've had success adding it a couple of times, but because I've been doing some factory re-sets lately, it's a pain to have to add it/troubleshoot it all over again - so I didn't bother.

SOOOO much easier to just sideload it from ADE. ADE seems to be the only stable software I can use with my Kobo!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
what version of desktop? current is 2.1.2.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
I gave up on the desktop a while ago (note, I haven't tried again since it's been updated) - the couple times I used it, I had problems with loading books onto my Kobo Wifi, with me having to factory reset a few times before it was resolved.

I load Kobo bought books over the Wifi, and sideload other books with Calibre.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
pokee
Fanatic

Good to know, thanks Sara. Maybe I'll get my WiFi going again and then use that alone when I purchase books. I have downloaded Calibre, but haven't used it yet. I've found ADE does the job when I need it to.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
The desktop app has given me nothing but problems so I use Calibre and ADE for all my books. I find it much easier that way.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I rarely ever use the desktop app.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
I just stick to Calibre now. The desktop stopped working on my linux system so I deleted it and if I really must use it I use the desktop on my laptop. ADE is on my laptop as well and I just use that when I need to put a library book on my KT.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #10
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
what version of desktop? current is 2.1.2.
BTW, this is the version I have of the desktop app. that doesn't work - 2.1.2. It's a rotten POS and I am not using it anymore. Why did they have to make something so complicated (like 'Synching')? Why not just have a library you can drag and drop books from, just like ADE or Calibre???
Old 10-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
ADE and Calibre do not have to sync across devices--a necessity for folks who read on a tablet, the reader, a phone etc. My desktop app works just like it ought to.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
BTW, this is the version I have of the desktop app. that doesn't work - 2.1.2. It's a rotten POS and I am not using it anymore. Why did they have to make something so complicated (like 'Synching')? Why not just have a library you can drag and drop books from, just like ADE or Calibre???
I hate to sound like a broken record, but have you made any attempt to reach out officially to Kobo support?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
I use the desktop app all the time, but back when I first got my Kobo, it didn't work at all--it would freeze/crash and was generally useless.

It turns out that my PCTools virus scanner/protection system was to blame. Some shoddy code in it basically rendered the kobo desktop app (and the reskinned Borders app before it) completely useless. I haven't had a problem since I swapped to a different security protocol on my machine.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
ADE and Calibre do not have to sync across devices--a necessity for folks who read on a tablet, the reader, a phone etc. My desktop app works just like it ought to.
That is a point to take into consideration, and the desktop app does that very well. But for the rest of us that don't read on a Tablet and/or Laptop it isn't needed very much.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #15
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I hate to sound like a broken record, but have you made any attempt to reach out officially to Kobo support?
Nope. I don't have time to log tickets with them that will just get ignored. Tried that a couple of times when I first got my Kobo and wanted to blow my friggen brains out. To reduce my stress level, I solve all of my problems myself or with the wise people on this forum...I get much more prompt and knowlegable service from the smart folks here.

My warranty is almost up, so if it dies soon, I may buy a more reliable product. I really want to stick with my Kobo because I love Chapters, and the manager of my local store is awesome, but the Kobo customer support just sucks ass so badly, it's not even worth the aggravation...