Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: E-reader with or without DRM?
I want to be able to read anything that's available as e-book (including DRM content) 62 51.67%
DRM? That's Down-Right Maddening. PG & non-DRM publishers are my sanctuary 58 48.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
DRM, or not DRM: that is the question (poll)

Indeed, a very interesting question asked by Robert Nagle over at TeleRead: If you had the chance to decide among two similar e-reader devices, of which only one supports DRM content, which device would you pick? Any reason to pick the device that does not support DRM?

Make sure to also check out the readers' comments @ TeleRead... some good answers there!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
As much as I hate DRM and think it will die of it's own weight sooner or later, the real deciding factor is now and will always be content.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2007, 11:47 PM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you are dead-set against ever buying DRM content, get the non-DRM reader and show those manufacturers where your money goes.

Or... Presuming that the aforementioned device supports DRM and non-DRM content, go ahead and pick that one, and chance an occasional DRM book if you want. But expect manufacturers to take that as tacit approval that DRM is okay with you.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:52 PM   #4
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
I own one device that supports drm (Ebks1150) but I never bought a drm book for it, never even registered it, and a device that does not (Nokia 770/Fbreader) and I can read all my ebooks on either, the choice depending on various factors (books that I reread or short story magazines/collections I tend to Ebk first due to better navigation, first read novels I tend to Nokia since the reading experience is better even than paper for me), so support or lack of such for drm is completely unimportant for me as long I can put my own books reasonably easy on the device.
Since I never buy a book I cannot own (drm books that you cannot convert to open format you DO NOT own, just rent/license for some time), drm support is irrelevant for me.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:02 AM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The DRM support on the Sony Reader was not a factor for me. The support of the other formats was a factor. `What a manufacturer may or may not do in the future is not the point. At anytime I can freeze my unit and not update the firmware. This is also true of computer operating systems. (I still have DOS running in one box here and it has not been updated in over twelve years.)

As for sending a message to the company by buying a non-DRM reader, it won't work. They would never think that way. It must be something else like the advertisements or the box color. The message will be sent if the rreader sales are good but the DRM book purchases are poor. That is a message!
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2007, 12:12 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
For me, it's not so much does it have DRM support at all, but rather does it support non-DRM formats. That being said, I do try to buy as much material as I can sans-DRM, I will buy stuff if I really want to read it, and I can't get it any other way, but it's a struggle to make myself do so, and a struggle I haven't undertaken very often.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:39 AM   #7
Jorgen
Connoisseur
Jorgen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony prs-650, iPod, BEBOOK Mini, Nokia n810, iPaq
I agree fully with NatCh. As long as I can make my own books, I am happy. Some interesting books will unfortunately only be available in a DRM format and if I really, really, really want that book, I will buy it. But books with DRM will be at the bottom of my wish-list and many of them I will probably never buy.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:48 AM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
The message will be sent if the rreader sales are good but the DRM book purchases are poor. That is a message!
Probably true. They'll figure out from their book sales if non-DRM is outselling DRM significantly.

Recently, if the e-book was DRM'd, and still expensive, I just bought the paperback. (Not that that helps e-books any...) I've also been consciously spending less time at DRM sites, and looking for more non-DRM sites to potentially buy from.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
As for sending a message to the company by buying a non-DRM reader, it won't work. They would never think that way. It must be something else like the advertisements or the box color. The message will be sent if the rreader sales are good but the DRM book purchases are poor. That is a message!

As far as I know from the Fictionwise group (though I do not guarantee accuracy, just what was mentioned there by people who seem knowledgeable), at Fictionwise non-drm outsells drm by 10 to 1 which is the same ratio mentioned in the current music debate. Consistency...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
The choice I really wanted was "DRM is irrelevant. I would choose the reader based on other features." I have the books I want on my readers, for the most part, and I ensure that the authors (and publishers) of those books are paid to the same degree that I do with paper books-- I want my favorite writers to keep writing and publishing. 'Nuff said.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #11
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
My 2 cents:
If I have to pay almost the same for the paper and the e-book version I will go for paper and see where I find the e-version (preferably in plain-text format). Luckily we don't have such a thing as DMCA over here.

you may call me a pirate now, but My point of view in this case is, the author got paid for his work if I buy the paper version. I'm definitely not going to pay for the same thing twice. Especially not if I get locked into a DRM-system.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:12 PM   #12
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I have books in all formats - paper, audio and ebooks.

It's only the DRM'd ebooks that cause me problems (see this thread).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...threadid=10314

Because I want to encourage more authors to commit to ebooks (most won't unless they are secure) I continue to purchase them.

However, in my view, the way ebook publishers treat their customers is tantamount to assuming all their customers are criminals! It annoys me that I have to "sign a contract" in order to read a book!
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:02 AM   #13
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
Even though I've purchased DRM'ed books and my second reader supports them, I will invariably remove the DRM by whatever means necessary. (even using the 'analogue hole' PrtScrn OCR) I'd rather have a book thats not formatted as well than one I cannot view or store wherever I want.
I know that I'm by an offshoot supporting DRM by buying in that format, but I do try to get non-drm books first but sometimes you have no choice.
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:18 AM   #14
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
DRM only makes copying difficult (and illegal) just like copying paper books is difficult (and illegal). However, unlike paper books DRMed books can only be read by certain devices. If they would provide the readers free, as they do for paper books, then maybe(?) DRM would be OK -- NOT!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #15
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda
DRM only makes copying difficult (and illegal) just like copying paper books is difficult (and illegal).
I see that the Content Cartel's propaganda war against Fair Use is working.

Copying, under certain conditions, is not illegal.

Let's assume that I have a magic box. This box will magically make a duplicate of whatever I put in it.

I have a beautiful (and expensive) copy of The Lord of the Rings. I want to read it at work, but I'm afraid that it will get damaged there. So I put it in my magic box and make a copy. That copy I take to work. The original goes back on my bookshelf.

This type of copying is completely legal.

Now, if I give that copy to a co-worker when I'm done reading it, that's probably illegal. If I sell that copy, it's definitely illegal.

Also completely legal is for me to copy excerpts for purposes of reporting, criticism, etc.

To (sort of) quote Cory Doctorow: DRM does not distinguish between legal and illegal copying. It simply stops all copying.

But the Content Cartel thinks (and wants to push the idea) that all copying is illegal. There is no legal basis for that idea.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote