Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
dan89
dan89 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
sync non-amazon books across paperwhite and PC

I would like to be able to read MOBI or EPUB books I have download from free websites and be able to read them on my Paperwhite (gen1) in the evenings and on my PC at work during lunch breaks.

I read some suggestions here, but they don't seem to apply to me specifically.

http://www.epubor.com/sync-kindle-fu...d-devices.html

Right now, I am using Calibre to manage my books and manually adding them to my Paperwhite. If I do the "send-to-Kindle email" will that then make another copy of the book on my device and then allow me to keep up with the page numbers?

I'm sorry if this is easy stuff, but I've never really used the kindle for PC software and I'm not sure if it will do what I want before I ask work to install it on my work PC.

Thanks.
dan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Yes, if you email the book to yourself, it will become part of your Amazon Cloud at which point it will be able to take advantage of Whispersync.

I have done this with many Baen Books .mobi files.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
dan89

That did work.

Syncing the page numbers works great on both my kindle, iphone, and Ipad.

Now there are two copies of my "test" books on my kindle. I guess I'll just have do go back and delete the ones copied over by Calibre, or is there a better way to integrate this system with Calibre? (this is not a big concern)

I have download the Kindle PC software at both home and at work, but I can't seem to get it to download the books that I have "emailed in". I have logged in with the same account, and have synced multiple times, but nothing seems to happen. When I select "deliver to.." in my amazon library, both of my Kindle for PC (1 and 2) are grayed out. Am I missing a step?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do the books not show up in the Archive in K4PC? If they do (and they should), simply locate the book in the Archive, and double click on it to download it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
dan89

No, the three "default" books showed up, like treasure island, but nothing else is listed.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan89 View Post
That did work.

Syncing the page numbers works great on both my kindle, iphone, and Ipad.

Now there are two copies of my "test" books on my kindle. I guess I'll just have do go back and delete the ones copied over by Calibre, or is there a better way to integrate this system with Calibre? (this is not a big concern)

I have download the Kindle PC software at both home and at work, but I can't seem to get it to download the books that I have "emailed in". I have logged in with the same account, and have synced multiple times, but nothing seems to happen. When I select "deliver to.." in my amazon library, both of my Kindle for PC (1 and 2) are grayed out. Am I missing a step?

Thanks

I have the Kindle for PC and Kindle for Mac both show up in my "deliver to" from the amazon website. I assume you are signed into your Amazon account on the Kindle for PC. As Harry said, the book, if it has been emailed to any other device in your account at least once, should now show up in the archives and you can just download it.

Oh, and you are in the Kindle library on the amazon webpage right? Not the media library that shows everything including mp3 and video stuff too right?
On the Kindle page, you should be able to choose a book and "deliver to" your Kindle for PC.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
dan89

Sorry, let me be clear. Once I email a book in, it shows up in my Kindle library on amazon.com. I am able to select <Actions>, <deliver to..> and select my kindle and it will send it to my Kindle. Under <Actions>, <deliver to..>, both my home Kindle for PC and work Kindle for PC are listed (along with my iphone), but those options are grayed out.

In the Kindle for PC app, there are no books list (other than the default books that I already deleted), so it is totally blank.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
mewmartigan
Guru

Quote:
Sorry, let me be clear. Once I email a book in, it shows up in my Kindle library on amazon.com. I am able to select <Actions>, <deliver to..> and select my kindle and it will send it to my Kindle. Under <Actions>, <deliver to..>, both my home Kindle for PC and work Kindle for PC are listed (along with my iphone), but those options are grayed out.

In the Kindle for PC app, there are no books list (other than the default books that I already deleted), so it is totally blank.

If the Kindle for PC app is registered to the same amazon account then I don't know why its blank but I assume the reason its blank and the reason you can't email to it are one and the same.

On my Kindle for PC, i can view all my archived stuff and if I go to the preferences it shows it registered properly to my amazon account.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Have you looked in the Archive on the Kindle application? On the Mac version, it is in the upper left corner. From the archive, you can right click on any book and choose download. It will then appear in the library.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
No, the three "default" books showed up, like treasure island, but nothing else is listed.
No, those are the books that are installed in K4PC; you need to select the Archive to see the books that are not currently downloaded.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
So there is nothing whatsoever under Archives?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k4pc.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	112636  
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
dan89

Correct. They both say zero.

But when I go to <tools> <options> <registration> it has my correct email address.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

I cannot send personal documents to my K4PC or K4Mac either. See the screenshot from attached. This screen capture is from the Your Kindle Library web page with Personal Documents selected in the Vew option.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle-send-to-PC-personal-docs.png
Views:	431
Size:	673.4 KB
ID:	112639  

Last edited by jswinden; 10-02-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
dan89

Jswinden,
That is the same problem I am having. I hope there is a solution.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Jswinden,
That is the same problem I am having. I hope there is a solution.
I thought so, that is why I posted the screenshot. I thought we used to be able to send personal docs to the K4PC and K4Mac apps, but I might be mistaken. Perhaps I got my personal docs to these apps by opening the files directly on my computer(s). Truth is it has been a while since I messed with these apps so I don't remember how I got the personal docs to show up in them.