Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
It is simple really...

1) Write a GOOD book
2) Have it professionally edited
3) Get a good cover
4) Get book edited again
5) Put book in every* store you have access to, mention it to everywhere you can (blogs, friends, FB, Twitter, etc, etc)
6) While doing step 5, go back and start over with step one.
7) Repeat unlit you are dead.
8) Profit!
*Edited
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Is this a variation on what Sue Grafton said?

"If you have a good story to tell and if you write it well, the Universe will come to your aid."

To the OP: Make sure your book is listed on GR, Shelfari and Library Thing. Create an author page with them.
No, not really, but some truth in that. The detail point I'm trying to make is that most writing is sh*t and the writers think everyone is going to love it and they are going to make a fortune. This is the view of an amateur. The professional knows better.

Reading Recommendation: "The War of Art" by Steven Pressfield
http://www.amazon.com/The-War-of-Art...The+war+of+art
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
write a damn good book, fake a bizarre fatal accident, change identity and collect the royalties when the media promotes your book like mad
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:24 AM   #19
AncientGardener
AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Is this a variation on what Sue Grafton said?

"If you have a good story to tell and if you write it well, the Universe will come to your aid."

To the OP: Make sure your book is listed on GR, Shelfari and Library Thing. Create an author page with them.
I'm on GR but I'd not heard of Shelfari and Library Thing, thanks
AncientGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #20
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Most promotion is not worth doing until you have five or six books, imho. And even then, it's often better to keep writing.

The main thing is that there are no short cuts.

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I am a professional marketer and here are a few suggestions:

1. Understand who your target audience is - your "perfect" customers
2. Find out where they gather online - forums, blogs they read, web sites they hang out on
3. Get conversion tracking in place so you know where each sale comes from (Do NOT skip this step)
4. Buy advertising on these sites or ask the blog owner if they would review your ebook
5. Build a list of your readers on your own web site so that you can tell them when you have new releases. Let them subscribe via email, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #22
uebyn
uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
I am a professional marketer and here are a few suggestions:

1. Understand who your target audience is - your "perfect" customers
2. Find out where they gather online - forums, blogs they read, web sites they hang out on
3. Get conversion tracking in place so you know where each sale comes from (Do NOT skip this step)
4. Buy advertising on these sites or ask the blog owner if they would review your ebook
5. Build a list of your readers on your own web site so that you can tell them when you have new releases. Let them subscribe via email, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
I do think I know what you are talking about. Problem is, most of us non-professional writers have our own profession that makes us a living, maybe a family to take care of, certainly more than a few practical matters that need our attention, and finally we need time to write. Research on the market and do stuff like conversion tracking? Very unlikely, really. But yes, we know you are right. *sigh*
uebyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #23
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A friend recently published a non-fiction title through a major publishing house. It all sounds great — favorable review in the Times Book Review, reviews in other major papers, radio interviews, readings, etc. A month after the book release, I asked him how many copies he had actually sold. About a thousand, he said. He's maybe got another month or two before the window on this book is closed and the stores start sending back the unsold copies.

The nasty little truth, I fear, is that most books don't really sell, even with massive publicity far beyond the dreams of most lowly eBook author/publishers. That doesn't mean you should do nothing, but it suggests that your expectations should be aligned with reality. It could be that selling a couple hundred books qualifies as remarkable success, even if most of them go to your friends and family.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #24
Alex Bleach
Enthusiast
Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC - PDF & Kindle Desktop
I think measure your own success is a good tip. Some indie, first time writers expect to sell as many as a leading author in a few months and except for a few freak exceptions (like 50 shades of grey) this doesn't happen. My book is free, so I don't make anything off it, but I'm happy if people enjoy it and are reading it.
Alex Bleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #25
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Assuming you've done all the things like writing a good book, getting a great cover, etc, I think it's important to just get out there and interact with people, whether online or in real life. Don't overtly try to sell them your book - just talk to people, respond to blog posts, and always have a link to your blog or book in your signature. If people think you're a good person with interesting things to say, they might just click on that link and consider buying your book.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #26
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Maybe offering yourself for a talk at you local library?
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #27
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Maybe offering yourself for a talk at you local library?
Definitely! One of my books is historical fiction set along the boundary of Minnesota and North/South Dakota. I've been fortunate to have libraries and historical societies around that area have me over for talks. (I've contacted them first, telling what my book is about and asking if they'd like to have me for a book discussion/reading, and have received a good response.) Usually, an audience that actually goes out of their way to see you is more likely to purchase copies of your book. Plus you get to meet a lot of great people.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote