Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Killing people

Does anyone feel a bit guilty about killing the people who live in their heads? Do you ever use your god-powers to rewrite their destiny as a result?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Native
Cozy Bumpkin Stories
Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I sometimes get all weepy over the pain I bring upon innocent imagination, but on the other hand, some figments deserve it. Such demons are hard to control so it's out of my hands anyway.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Sometimes I feel like maybe people are going to yell at me about killing off their favorite characters, but I don't feel that bad about doing it. Mostly when I first come up with the story idea, I have a general idea of who I'm going to have murdered or whatever, so it's like the runt of the litter--you feel affectionate, but you can't get too lovey on them because there's a good chance they're not going to make it.
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
My wife gets attached to characters fast. In one book she is reading there was a character who was introduced and killed in a few paragraphs... and in her words she as "distraught" over it.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:08 AM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper Kingsley View Post
Mostly when I first come up with the story idea, I have a general idea of who I'm going to have murdered or whatever, so it's like the runt of the litter--you feel affectionate, but you can't get too lovey on them because there's a good chance they're not going to make it.
That's probably where I went wrong. I wanted it to leave an impact, so I went out of my way to make him the most likeable character right from the start.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Native
Cozy Bumpkin Stories
Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. I can't imagine such convenient bliss as to live without hard choices. And when people working behind the curtain still get drawn into the show, it must be pretty good. You'll just have to suffer the pangs of care.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
It's been said that a writer is God to his/her story world so I don't see a way that such life & death decisions for this or that character can be avoided. The author has to know enough about a given character to write convincingly about them, and sometimes a story will require that this or that character bites the dust. Anything else would be unrealistic and while we want to escape the 'real' world when we read we also expect certain things to be maintained, one of which is that death is part of the world fictional or real.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't like killing off characters, but sometimes it's necessary to further the story. Of course, I never kill off the main characters. That would defeat the purpose of the book.

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:57 AM   #9
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
What do you folks think about authors who become seemingly incapable of killing off any of the "regular" characters who appear in a series, when situations occur where the character should have met his or her natural or unnatural demise? When the characters become so real in the author's mind that he/she just cannot eliminate them, even though the story arc suffers? How can you recover a series that is stagnating because of something like that, without a wholesale slaughter that would alienate the core readership?
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:21 AM   #10
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I tend to feel more like the dying character than some god who's condemned them.

If I'm writing an important female character's death, for example, I don't just picture and hear her. I also try to become her -- to understand how it feels to be her -- so that her demise isn't reducible to a message, plot point or side effect of my male gaze. If her death is supposed to matter to the reader, then I have to be able to channel her point of view. It isn't enough to use style and tone to convey the loss, or to have other characters emote over the sadness of her passing.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 07-15-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
? How can you recover a series that is stagnating because of something like that, without a wholesale slaughter that would alienate the core readership?
There are other ways to handle that other then death. Old core characters can be phased out through retirement, old age, training a replacement, moving away, chasing some dream far away, or etc.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
There are other ways to handle that other then death. Old core characters can be phased out through retirement, old age, training a replacement, moving away, chasing some dream far away, or etc.

This would give the author the opportunity to retire the old series and create a new one. And if the readers don't accept the new series, you can have the older character come out of "retirement" and resume his duties.

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Does anyone feel a bit guilty about killing the people who live in their heads? Do you ever use your god-powers to rewrite their destiny as a result?
Having second thoughts about the mall business? Or did the mall owners turn you down?

Try writing a book with a happy ending, and this problem won't arise.

James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:06 AM   #14
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Try writing a book with a happy ending, and this problem won't arise.
Do I look like a girl?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #15
G J Lau
Zealot
G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Sometimes killing off a character is the happy ending.
G J Lau is offline   Reply With Quote