Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Question Removing embedded fonts from ePubs

I've noticed that some epubs have embedded 4 True Type Charis fonts making up for about 5 MBs. I'm not particularly fond of that font as I rather use the iPad's default Palatino which I think is good for reading on screen.

Two questions:

- Will removing these fonts break anything in the epub? I believe that if the style sheet is referencing these fonts and they are not found, the rendering will default to the system font, correct?

- Right now, for removing the fonts I explode the epub, remove the fonts from the fonts folder and rebuild the epub. Is there an option in the GUI to remove the embedded fonts - and perhaps all references to them in the style sheet?

Many thanks
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
This is the first request I have seen to REMOVE embedded fonts. The normal question seems to be about how to ADD them!
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Removing them may cause breakage, it depends on how they are used. Sometimes special fonts are used for special characters/metrics. There's no automated way to remove fonts, though if you ask kiwidude may add it to his epub fixer plugin.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There's no automated way to remove fonts, though if you ask kiwidude may add it to his epub fixer plugin.
I have manually removed these 4 Charis fonts from several ePubs as they are such a size overhead and would also find an automated option very helpful.

@paulfiera: I delete the font folder and also remove the references to the fonts in the stylesheet, (specifying my preferred system fonts instead). You may also need to remove them from the manifest, (OPF).
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Thanks, guys.

I know storage space in computers is cheap and I shouldn't be worrying about a couple of megs per book - that's what the 5 MB fonts come down to when packed in an ePub, but this is not the case with tablets. Especially with iPads, where you do not have the possibility of external storage. And when you want to add a couple of hundred ePubs to your iPad - where you already have music and videos, these fonts really fill up.

I can only talk about iPad, as that's the only reader I've had, but it does a very decent job using Palatino as the default font. Sharp on the screen - for a serif font - and able to deal with non ASCII characters, from what I've seen.

I've done some tests removing the fonts from a couple of ePubs and at first sight, there seems to be no problem.

Agama, how would I remove them from the manifest?

I'd also like to vote for an option to remove both the fonts and all the references to them - CSS, manifest - from the GUI.

Kovid, should we ask kiwidude for this feature as an enhacement of the ePub fixer plugin or is it something you would consider adding to the main calibre program?
Old 06-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
epubfixer is the logical place for this.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
paulfiera
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
epubfixer is the logical place for this.
Many thanks, Kovid

I can't seem to find the epubfixer plugin. I have kiwidude's plugin updater and I've searched the plugins thread but can't find it.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool a possibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfiera View Post
I've noticed that some epubs have embedded 4 True Type Charis fonts making up for about 5 MBs. I'm not particularly fond of that font as I rather use the iPad's default Palatino which I think is good for reading on screen.

Two questions:

- Will removing these fonts break anything in the epub? I believe that if the style sheet is referencing these fonts and they are not found, the rendering will default to the system font, correct?

- Right now, for removing the fonts I explode the epub, remove the fonts from the fonts folder and rebuild the epub. Is there an option in the GUI to remove the embedded fonts - and perhaps all references to them in the style sheet?

Many thanks
i'm not speaking from experience with this problem, but i'd think that if you were to convert the epub to mobi (i don't think that mobi stores any embedded fonts [i could be wrong]) then convert the mobi back to epub maybe you might lose those embedded fonts in the process. others may comment that i'm all wet (and that's ok), but i thought it worth mentioning it as an idea to try.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It sounds like the OP is using (GASP!) iBooks and the embedded fonts won't work unless you do something non-standard. And in that case, you can pick from whatever fonts are on the list and they'll be used instead of the embedded fonts. iBooks does a lot of things non-standard.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I can't seem to find the epubfixer plugin. I have kiwidude's plugin updater and I've searched the plugins thread but can't find it.
This is because it's still at beta-test stage. The main thread is here.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:35 AM   #11
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Agama, how would I remove them from the manifest?
Open the OPF file in the exploded ePub, (often it's called content.opf), and look for the section starting <manifest>. The elements in this section are supposed to list all the files which make up the publication. Simply delete all elements which reference the Charis fonts. These elements show up as <item href= ... />.

The fonts should not be referenced in the <spine> or <guide> sections but delete their entries if they are.

Note: Readers seem quite tolerant of ePubs where items present in the publication are NOT actually referenced in the manifest, so you may find that there are no references to the fonts - but it's best to check since a well formed ePub is likely to work on more readers than a poorly formed one. (I have known ADE fail to open books where I have created a faulty manifest section).
Old 06-06-2011, 04:49 AM   #12
paulfiera
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It sounds like the OP is using (GASP!) iBooks and the embedded fonts won't work unless you do something non-standard. And in that case, you can pick from whatever fonts are on the list and they'll be used instead of the embedded fonts. iBooks does a lot of things non-standard.
Thanks, JSWolf

Yes, I am using iBooks. This iPad is the only reader I've got and it works OK. Not so good to read under sunlight but I can't afford another reader right now.

So, how would other readers behave if there is referenced a missing font in the style sheet? Wouldn't they default to a system font like browsers do?
Old 06-06-2011, 04:50 AM   #13
paulfiera
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
This is because it's still at beta-test stage. The main thread is here.
Thanks, jackie_w. Found it. Looks very interesting and I'm sure, it'll be great -as all kiwidude's plugins.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:52 AM   #14
paulfiera
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Open the OPF file in the exploded ePub, (often it's called content.opf), and look for the section starting <manifest>. The elements in this section are supposed to list all the files which make up the publication. Simply delete all elements which reference the Charis fonts. These elements show up as <item href= ... />.

The fonts should not be referenced in the <spine> or <guide> sections but delete their entries if they are.

Note: Readers seem quite tolerant of ePubs where items present in the publication are NOT actually referenced in the manifest, so you may find that there are no references to the fonts - but it's best to check since a well formed ePub is likely to work on more readers than a poorly formed one. (I have known ADE fail to open books where I have created a faulty manifest section).
Many thanks Agama.

Great to know. Guess I'll be exploding a heck of a lot of epubs
Old 06-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #15
Agama
Guru

Quote:
Guess I'll be exploding a heck of a lot of epubs
Maybe kiwidude can come to the rescue with another plugin! This might be a bit trickier than his Modify ePub as it would have to do a bit more parsing - and perhaps allow user definition of a substitute font-name whenever an embedded font reference is found in, (and removed from), the CSS.

I also seem to recall some discussions in this forum on installing ePub fonts as external fonts rather than embedding. This would mean that the fonts were only in a single location on a device and then shared by all ePubs which reference them. Haven't tried this yet myself but it could be worth looking into.